what does the clutch do?

hi, i am just curious exactly what the clutch does and how it works

i know it connects the pedals to the engine so you can get it started.

what is going on when you engage/disengage the clutch when the engine is running? is there any use for the clutch when riding?

thanks

Re: what does the clutch do?

Should kill the engine if you engage it while running. No use in using it while riding. Mopeds are automatics.

which one? your pedal clutch is what dean described, your centrifugal clutch is what lets your engine move and not your bike

so its not possible to rev the engine without moving the wheel?

yes it is possible thats your centrifugal clutch although harder to hold because the clutch is trying to engage as its spinning faster

OK, a single speed moped has two different clutches in it:

Starting clutch and

Centrifugal clutch.

The starting clutch, when pulled in, connects the pedals to the engine. So, when pedaled the engine will turn over and be able to start.

The centrifugal clutch lets the engine idle without any connection of the engine to the driving chain. As you speed up the engine the shoes of the centrifugal clutch are thrown outwards and lets them contact the clutch drum. The faster you speed the engine the harder they grip the drum. When you come to a stop, springs inside the clutch retract the clutch shoes and the engine can idle again.

So your wheel will move when you are revving.

depends how weak your engine is. for my fa50 i can hold it back while revving the engine. for the minibike (also centrifugal clutch) no chance of holding it while revving it

Steve has a Batavus. There's only ONE clutch, a centrifugal one. The starting handle, which looks like a clutch handle but is ONLY used for starting, squeezes the clutch plates together to engage the engine while you pedal. It's the OPPOSITE of a motorcycle clutch lever. Squeezing it engages the engine and rear wheel, leaving it alone allows the action of the clutch to disengage the engine and rear wheel at low rpms, so you can idle at a stop, for instance.

Steve, if you've been pulling the clutch lever while it's running, thinking you're allowing the engine to turn freely, we may have found at least part of why it's not running right!

my batavus.... when the clutch pulled while riding it squeals really loud.. so I hope that if your doing that, you'd know that thats not a good sound.

haha ok thanks for the clarification. i was just wondering, ive never done it.

i kinda wish i could rev it while stopped tho. it sounds so cool :)

SORRY NO NEUTRAL ON A MOPED

« Go to Topic — end of thread