honda MB5 Moped or MotorCycle?

There is a Honda MB5 at my local junk yard but I havn't bought it yet because I am not sure if its considered a Motorcycle or a Moped.

Re: honda MB5 Moped or MotorCycle?

motorcycle.

being 50cc and two stroke makes it a damn cool one at that.

Matt Scout The Scouting Dcon /

Depending on your state (or country) it could be either of them. Check with your local laws; 9 times out of 10 they define a moped as not having manually shifted gears, which the MB5 features. So, most likely a motorcycle.

It _is_ a motorcycle, but that doesn't always mean that it will be registered as one.

I almost bought a Yamaha Zuma (gasp) because the owner has managed to get it registered in PA as a moped (with moped plates, low insurance, parking on the sidewalk, no licensing, and all the other benefits).

That would definitely be a fluke, though, the body type on the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin lists a Zuma as a motorcycle. For an MB5 you found in the junkyard, you'll probably have a little bit of wiggle room (and a lot of paperwork).

I did not buy the Zuma, of course.

§ćŗάτçλmªřċ • /

there's a nice MB5 available locally that I looked at recently and it definately had the look and feel of a motorcycle compared to the mopeds I own.

I guess some folks can get them registered as a moped but I think that's more the exception than the rule.

If that one you saw isn't in too bad of shape and for a decent price, get it anyway. I'm sure it'll be fun to ride when you get it roadworthy.

~marc

I have 3 and have had 2 others. They are small motorcycles. I've never registered a single one, and have always gotten out of tickets by pointing out it's 50cc, I've also gotten pulled over the most on these bikes. Stock they feel like a slow motorcycle, you're always are left wanting a little more out of it. Kitted, piped and carbed they are a lot of fun, and easily capable of 65+, stock you looking at around 52.

Great second vehicle or commuter if you ride on 45+mph roads but not on freeways.

If its cheap, buy it. MB5s are very desirable and sell for $$$ in decent condition.

honda MB5 Moped or MotorCycle?

Definitely a motorcycle.

The only thing they have in common with mopeds is that the engine happens to be 50cc. So, is a 100cc motorcycle considered a moped? A 250cc? 1800cc? Some states might register it as a moped but it is most definitely a motorcycle.

It is a 50cc 2 stroke motorcycle, with a manual shift and clutch, and a whole lot of fun. Can be expensive, and parts can be more expensive, if you can find them at all. Oh, and unlike the Madass, they look really cool. Still, if the Madass had been a 2 stroke, and about 50 pounds lighter, I might have been interested. Peace, Jerry.

In Michigan, it's a motorcycle, but you could get it registered as a moped. I'd be a little concerned about getting pulled over though, because MB5s look like motorcycles.

It's a 1982, right? Then you can get it registered as a historic vehicle. Historic registration is even cheaper than registering a moped. You have to have insurance, but it's dirt cheap.

They already crushed it. So I guess it don't matter now.

Thats such a waste. If they were just gonna crush it, how much did they want? $50?? Coulda easily made that back selling parts even if it was very beat up.

« Go to Topic — end of thread