Bourne & Sagamore Bridges

Has anyone ever crossed either the Bourne or Sagamore bridges on a moped? Isn't it a state highway? And... if they are state highways and mopeds aren't allowed on them how do you get across the canal? Ferry?

Re: Bourne & Sagamore Bridges

I read that the Bourne bridge has a 4 ft wide pedestrian walk. Maybe ride or walk over the bridge? I never really paid attention to the walkway.

You're right Fred! I forgot all about those sidewalks. I now somewhat recall seeing people riding bikes over them on the sidewalks.

I thought that both of these bridges became permanent traffic jams between May and September. You'd probably be best looking into alternatives - try searching the General forum for "aquaped."

The passenger ferry from Boston to Provincetown - that is, the ferry that lands 40 miles away from where you were asking about - has a pricing chart for bicycles. I bet they'd take a moped, and Old Route 6 is a 30 mph road - that would be an awesome, but very long loop.

They finally got rid of the traffic circle and there is now a bypass. I am sure the traffic still sucks.

I loved that they had a major highway lead to a traffic circle, what a traffic headache! Good thinking!

I have a second home on Cape and have had no issues with traffic since the road work was finished. Traffic however is very fast and there are too many "me first" drivers to chance moped crossing in the travel lanes. I would call the Local Police and ask about using the walkways, or cross before 6am. The exception to the traffic is when one or more me-first drivers crashes causing grid lock.

Laugh and point at these drivers.

Its way different then it used to be fred. Not perfect, but way better.

Mopeds are allowed on State highways!

They are allowed anywhere where there are no "bicycles prohibited" signs...

Rte 28 is a state highway... my house in Milton is on it.... and it goes through the town centers all the way down!

Anyone seen if there's a 'no bicycle' sign on Rt 2?

If not...then as soon as Super Moby is up and going again, I am riding that bitch to work every day I can.

Oh man....what an awesome ride that would be BOMBING down Rt 2 into Concord!!!

I don't think there is much of a shoulder and people drive crazy out there. And when you get to 95/128 it is 3 lanes, I would be surprised if they did not prohit bikes..

It may be legal to ride the bridge but the lanes are narrow and the

traffic is moving very fast. There are no breakdown lanes and the curbs are appx 8" tall. In low traffic times I might try it with a ped but being alive trumps being legally right. I drive an 18 wheeler, mopeds, scooters, Miata, FJR1300 but if you can't flow with traffic you may become a statistic. Common sense for all.

Call local police for their position "legally"

Man alive, I certainly wouldn't dare to ride that stretch of Rt. 2 coming into town where the hills begins in Arlington to the Rt. 16? cut-off near Alewife. When I lived in Lexington and worked downtown I would have cars pass me while I was doing at least 80 down that hill and under the bridges on a 750 Honda. And that was the morning commute with crazy solar glare. The evening commute past Alewife and up the hill was even crazier. It was nothing unusual to see some car tooling along at about 90 up that hill. Rt. 2 beyond Concord tends to be a bit more sane, but still a wicked dangerous piece of road.

i have ridden on rt2 a few times on moped and bicycle when i went to ECAT

the cops never said anything to me

How did your moped handle going 90 down a hill? Shake apart?

This was at alewife in May...good luck.

« Go to Topic — end of thread