Ignorant to Moped Stigma

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site and moped riding in general. I live in CT where there are very few moped users. I ride one because it saves me gas and is a fun, cheap alternative to a motorcycle. Perfect..right?

So I'm 26. I've never known anyone whos had a moped. I am totally ignorant to any and all moped stigma. Will someone please shed some light on the stereotypes that moped users have?

A CLUE!! today I noticed at the bottom of the moped army home page a photo in which there were many rainbow-like colors (TBS + 4 : BPHHR2H2D : 6.13.08 - 6.15.08 thing). Are mopeds associated with being gay?

I have yet to experience anyone messing with me on my ped, though I do get a little nervous at red lights when i have to sit next to other cars with their windows open.

There are some scooters around here, but almost no mopeds. I usually get smiles from people walking or riding their bikes. Kids really love the moped, they always point and cry out in awe.

Lastly, a bit unrelated- concerning the safety of these things. It scares me to see news about moped user's death on the front page of mopedarmy.com. I have yet to experience any sort of accident, and tend to feel like it couldnt happen to me. How likely is it that when a car hits us on a moped that we will be severely injured.. or even die?

Thanks to all who take the time to read and respond

Re: Ignorant to Moped Stigma

***Vanilla Thunder*** /

hard to say whats gay anymore. its all grey lines. i did have a guy yell at me from his truck FLAME ON! once.

be careful out there. no your limits, and your bikes. drive like no one can see you and youl be ok.

good luck, welcome to peds

well, i rode mopeds for a while before i realized anyone else in the entire world rode mopeds. then i found mopedarmy.

mopeds are about as safe as you ride them... lights arent too good, and they are small and hard to see. ride accordingly. i think the likeliness of a moped wreck compared to a motorcycle wreck is about equal, and motorcycles are faster and weigh a lot more.

dont worry about people. most of them think mopeds are funny. a lot of people smile and wave to me. once or twice someone has said something, or done something stupid, and it resulted in me retaliating. you are riding a 300 dollar moped. they are in a car that probably cost 50 times that. use it to your advantage.

mopeds are gay. if that bothers you, dont ride them.

have fun.

The TBS thing , now that i look at it with your reference to rainbows, i see how some could think that. That picture was stupidist thing they ever done that i know of. That might not be real, they may have photo shoped it.

General Jackson /

most people that are older say they haven't seen one of those in years, or that they had one in the seventies. sometimes they offer me money for it, and sometimes they look at me like i'm the scum of the earth for not driving an SUV like they are.

A guy at O'reilly's auto parts said "I bet alot of people make fun of you when they see you on that "thing"" followed by a "that guy is a fag" look to his friend

I said, "they do until I tell them I get 120 mpg on it"

to which they responded with blank faces and no words as the amount of money they had spent on gas THAT WEEK went through their heads.

No matter how gay you may feel you look on your moped, it's never as gay as the amount of money you would be spending on gas if you drove a car, even a HYBRID!!!

ride on my friend, and welcome to the gang of intelligent movers

Larry Picarello /

People laugh and yell stuff to me all the time like- " mopeds suck".

Who gives a shit!

There's this middle-aged redneck dude in my town who rocks a fresh Sachs Balboa, I tried to talk mopeds with him once and he seemed real disinterested. So then I got the idea to maybe if i see him again, act like I'm gay and tell him that I thought he was gay because mopeds are the new secret gay signal, like the earring or the rainbow flag. Then maybe he'd sell me his Sachs on the cheap.

If you ride a moped, get used to hearing the following things:

Gay/Faggot

Crazy

''Your 'little bike thing' is so cute"

"We don't do that/fix those here"

[[laughter]]

HONK!!!!

"Is that for sale?"

"Where did you get that?"

"What is that?"

"I remember those!"

I'm probably forgetting all kinds of stuff, but that'll suffice for a starting point. Mopeds are only a stigma if you let them be. Ride with pride and ignore the haters. They're just jealous, that's all.

A good saying I've heard regarding accidents: There are two kinds of riders: those who have already crashed, and those who will someday crash.

If a car hits you, it can go either way. Some people get really lucky and can walk away with minor injuries, but some people are fatally injured. A car is a lot bigger and heavier and faster than a moped, and it's not something you want to get hit by. To me, the physics of car vs. moped say that you are fairly likely to sustain significant injuries (and your moped too). Having a death posted on the front page is horribly sad, but it serves as a reminder to us all to be as careful as we can. Ride like you're invisible and have constant vigilance, but know also that shit happens sometimes no matter how careful you are.

yeah also prepare to hear every whacko's opinions on gas prices.

where in ct aru, im in thomaston and im teh only one within the few towns over that i know of that has a ped. maybe if ur close enough we can start a branch or somthing, shoot me a email or somthing

BryAn eurism /

Mopeds are the new secret gay signal, what happened with the bandana in front pants pocket at the bus stop?

my favorite was when i pulled up to the gas pump and this old british dude was like "WELL THAT'S A WAY TO BEAT THE PETROL PRICES EH??"...i could barely understand what he said, until i realized he was british. then i thought it was awesome.

I have been noticing that as gas prices rise the "stigma" and insults decrease exponentially.

Just tell them that if gas gets much higher they will be on one too.

On that note if half of the population drove mopeds the price of fuel would drop like a brick

Matt Scout The Scouting Dcon /

One of my favorite pieces of stigma from riding has to be other people's perception of you. In a way, seeing a moped allows you to get a glimpse of what people really are. For instance, I have had reactions from motorcycle riders ranging from a complete snub to waves and smiles and pumping fists. Same with people in cars and on the street. The effect occurs more often as the number of riders increase. You should see the reactions of people during rallies or even weekly gang rides! It puts a smile on my face every time.

Yes, even the 1 finger salutes.

Fernando, your bike is awesome - the red paint job is very piece-of-farm-equipment, or craftsman-tool-box.

It looks... purposeful.

That said, I have some bad news:

"How likely is it that when a car hits us on a moped that we will be severely injured.. or even die?"

Well, "when" a car hits us, we will be severely injured, and could even die. That "when" does not have to happen, though.

The statistics I have are only for bicycles, but they allow me to say with some authority that more than 90% of accidents on a moped or motorcycle don't really have anything to do with a car. The biggest danger to a rider is themselves, and their reactions to road hazards; these are both things that you can control.

Gravel, animals, chemicals, cocksuredness, distractions, aggressive drivers/riders, oil slicks, and bad weather are what you should be looking out for (well, actually don't look for distractions). Otherwise, just remember that you are a part of traffic, keep your eyes on the road, and don't worry too much about getting hit by a car.

_today I noticed at the bottom of the moped army home page a photo in which there were many rainbow-like colors (TBS + 4 : BPHHR2H2D : 6.13.08 – 6.15.08 thing). Are mopeds associated with being gay? _

and

_The TBS thing , now that i look at it with your reference to rainbows, i see how some could think that. That picture was stupidist thing they ever done that i know of. That might not be real, they may have photo shoped it._

fernando. patrick. i know that sometimes jokes are really hard to understand, but really guys. at least try next time.

"may have photo shopped it" may have? haha

The TBS poster is brilliant satire. I am shocked by how many people are confused or offended by it.

With that being said riding a moped will increase you chances of...

A- becoming gay

B- becoming dead

then

C- Consuming the brains of the living

The increased Zombie activity at moped rallies is becoming a real problem.

Mopeds are not for those who are insecure in their masculinity. A good looking vintage bike does seem to get a more positive reaction than a something like this:

It's been a bad year for fatalities. Moped/Car accidents almost always result in serious injury. It does seem though that reading the bulk of the stories here that most people do live to ride again though sometimes after multiple surgeries. Watch for cars pulling out in front of you, this seems to account for most automobile incidents.

wiffleball did u steal my qt50, lol.. nvm mine has a seat.... hmmmm

You are brilliant.

Fernando: I did a search for Manchester in the Resources section and find the following listings in Manchester. Send then all an email so you can get together.

Total Found In Search: 7

David Irwin peaches

Derek Duval shockerpro

Fernando Rico fernando65

Jesse R muldoon

Maria Yates suzysatellite

Tom Davidson motofro6

Will Dvis

chicks dig em

but chicks are for fags so...

I think it all depends on where you ride. If I ride about 15 minutes away... to the "cool" part of town (lot's opf college kids, etc.)... people think my bike is awesome. If I ride downtown, people try to run me down.

If you ride a moped, get used to hearing the following things:

Gay/Faggot

Crazy

Thanks for all the responses!! woohoo my first successful thread ;)

yeah thats what i always felt about safety- dont worry about cars hitting me, worry more about being alert and cautious myself. sometimes id like it if i could go more than 28 or 30mph but something tells me im better off not!

The gay thing isnt really an issue, more curious than anything about general perceptions. everyone seems to mind their own business around here.

ill have to meet up with riders around here once i finish my mods.. put some mirrors on, made a proper kill switch, got a digital speedo/clock/odo/trip on, now ima gonna get some blinkers on (handbikes.com special )!!

PS i bought the bike with that fresh brick colored spray paint job, i cant stand it!! The guy did an awesome job, but that color just isnt me.. this winter i wanna take it apart and do it over with some real automotive flake paint + clear coat).

be prepared to die

an old motorbike rider said "man, I need to borrow this some time. because i just dont give a fuck no more."

so there you have it, moped riders give less of a fuck than motorbike riders.

Mopeds are just a type of vehicle, there is nothing "gay" about them. Unless maybe you are a gay looking guy, or riding a pink moped with flowers, nobody in the general public is going to think anything like that. They are small and slow, and that's why drivers of large trucks and SUVs (which comprise about 90% of the traffic on the road) hate them, and whoever is riding them. They get in their way. And, being small and slow makes it more likely you will get run over, especially in town. I have ridden thousands of miles on mopeds recently, and only got run over once, on a country road, by somebody who was trying to pass on the shoulder, where I was riding. Peace, Jerry.