My wheel fell off!

I'm such a good mechanic. I failed to tighten the rear axle nuts enough on my bike after swapping in the Motobecane mags, and I took it on a ride about 4 miles and back. On the way back it started making a grinding noise when it was coasting, and I said, this feels really weird, and since I was 3 blocks from home, I just kept rolling. I get it on my lawn and go to pedal to pull it in and it won't pedal. I see there is slack in the pedal chain and then I realize that my wheel is being pushed by the lower edge of the swingarm. This is exactly how it was when I arrived home after that ride!

I took another bike and retraced my steps, but I could only find one tensioner and one nut. :( I need a new moby axle nut.

I would say that was a close one, and also one of the more dumb things I've done recently.

Re: My wheel fell off!

sheeeeiiiiit!

dam, and i thought it was scary to ride my maxi with a bent wheel. i can only imagine.

That'll get you a prize at the car show!

Haha, not my car show ped ;)

haha awesome work.

When I replaced the tires on my Batavus, I was not aware they were different from bicycle tires and simply tightened the hell out of them (instead of lining up that little post that keeps the drum from spinning)

my front wheel fell off a mile down the road, and I just kinda shrugged it off and re-attached it.

When my rear one went, it spun the brake drum around and wrapped the brake cable up in the axle, causing me to involuntarily slam on the brakes.

I was still to much of a noob to realize what had transcended, and continued to ride for another two miles with my rear brake engaged, and my rear wheel only staying on because the brake cable was tightly wrapped around it. I just kept thinking "dang, why is my moped going so slow?"

I have done the same exact thing. I changed my tomos lx mags out for bullet spokes - and didn't tighten them enough. I got about 10 blocks away... and same deal, my sprocket bolts laced right into my swingarm. Stopped me dead in my tracks. I had a crappy walk home.

Earlier this week a friend was changing out my tires for me and the bolts on my front wheel were finger tight. A little scarry. I laughed though.

That Puch was just doing what any Puch would do. Rather kill himself than live with moby parts. I admire his gumption. This was his first and final warning.

To be honest, I think it's the all the countries represented not getting along. French Wheels, Italian Carb, Spanish Cylinder.

if you're ever down to trade that fuel line, just drop me a line.

« Go to Topic — end of thread