$50! Can You Believe It?

Ths is my Honda C100. I just bought it off of a gentleman for $50. It hasn't been ridden in probably 20 years. It seems to be in good condition... carb has quite a bit of varnish because the gas was still in it. I'll probably have to replace it because the throttle slide is jammed up pretty good.

The guy I bought it from says he has the original title, owner's manual and key... but I bought it from him while he was moving so he hasn't turned them up yet!!! Because of this, I haven't found out if it will actually start.

If anyone has any advice about finding reasonably priced parts, I would really appreciate it. I have searched a little, but any expertice is certainly helpful. It's been a little difficult for me to even identify the bike yet because some sites I looked at led me to believe my bike was a CA100. The serial numbers on the frame and the engine both start with C100 so now I think that must be it.

As you can see, I'm quite the novice, hence the post. I look forward to hearing from some of you who have helpful wisdom!

1216937892_bike.jpg

Re: $50! Can You Believe It?

Oops... I see my bike pic didn't post... If you want to see it, I have a very scaled-down image on my profile.

actually it did.

" you meet the nicest people on a Honda."

Awesome... guess it just didnt' load for me...

Thanks

Larry Picarello /

I just resurrected a 1966 Honda CB-160 that hadent run since 1974- I thought the carb would be hopeless(fused w/ varnish)but with much patience, WD-40 and carb cleaner- it now runs!

damn you lucky bastard. I've been tracking these bikes for months Its become my dream bike. and I haven't found one under $400 yet alone on the east coast. good luck with it man. awesome bike.

noped

ugh, so jealous. i just bought a similar (albeit in better condition) 50s sears allstate, carb was coated up in varnish just like yours, but after some carb cleaner soakage and blasting, it cleared up pretty fast - does your engine turn over? have any compression?

the allstate turns, has compression, and even has spark on the original spark plug - i'm convinced it's my guardian angel, even though i don't believe in that kind of hoky bs.

point is though, those super old bikes are super awesome, and especially that one - cubs/super cubs are supposed to be indestructible.

jealous.

i need to get my CT90 running ASAP

Matt Scout The Scouting Dcon /

LOL, it looks almost exactly like mine! Good find! I have found that eBay is pretty decent for getting parts for these, though a bit of searching through Google might yield better results.

I sold a 63 on E-bay for 1877.00! There are sellers overseas that

destroy local prices, shipping is costly but if you order all needed parts at once you will save big $$. It takes 4 wks to receive parts.

Restore to original only, modded bikes have little value. Yahoo Groups has a SuperCub club that is useful. Clean the tank with muriatic acid from local hdwe store, Baking soda after, Oil/gas mix

to halt further rust while finishing resto. Register as M/C asap to

create a paperwork trail (unless title in hand). Complete teardown will only take an hour or so, take pics to reassemble w/o confusion.

Non bleach Soft Scrub cleans w/o scratches, Noxon polish rules!

Cracks in plastic can be welded with Soldering gun from behind, it

will take practice and patience. 2000 grit wet-sand before polish on

corroded aluminum and works on plastic.

If you just super clean it w/o paint and make it run it's worth 1k +-

This bike will run w/o battery but WILL pop all light bulbs! Put a battery in it. Very cool, enjoy.

Does the sticker on the seat not say "Honda 50?" I thought that the Honda "100" line had 90 or 100cc engines.

So, this is basically a classic cub, in white, that you got for $1 a cc? Very nice.

Monsignor Knapp, be sure to preserve the ridiculous plastic engine guard that they put on the front of the engine. I love it - what was this ever supposed to protect the engine from - water spray?

I have to say that of course I ripped mine off after owning it for about half an hour, but I don't think Shinchiro Honda really meant for these vehicles to go down stairs...

Yeah, it turns over and sounds like it has good compression. Looks like the wiring is all good... just lacking the key at this point! I was surprised that, even after sitting outside for who knows how many years, the tires still hold air and everything mechanical seems to be in great condition.

The title is supposed to be stowed away with the owner's manual and keys... just a matter of time before I get them from the original owner.

Thanks for all the tips... I will definately try some of those. I was surprised that I managed to get the battery that was in it going. I don't know how long it will hold a charge but I just put new fluid in it and slow-charged it and it seems to be working well.

I'm not particularly concerned with its value as I don't intend to sell it, but I have considered eventually trying to get it back to original condition. It's obvious that mine was one of the models that was all white, but I'm thinking of taking it back to red and white.

Yeah, it's a 49cc Honda 50. The model number that most people use when referring to them is c100 because there were several different versions of basically the same bike made between 1959 and 1969.

I originally believed my bike to be a CA100 rather than a C100 because of some information I had found on the web, but the serial numbers on the frame and the engine both begin with C100, so I guess that's it.

Until I get the title, I can't be absolutely sure of the year of my particular bike but the wiring harness indicates it was manufactured in 1966. I have reason to belive that is the original wiring... I don't think the gentleman who owned it had it worked on.

in the early honda models, the model name does not correspond to the engine displacement.. so c100 and CA-100s are 50cc, C200 is 90cc, but C72 is 300cc? i think they straightened all that out with the 1968 models, or thereabouts.

300cc! Oh, okay, the C72 is the Honda "Dream."

I was hoping there was a bolt-on 300cc Honda single-cylinder engine available for cub upgrades. I guess that particular bit of stupidness will have to wait for reality to catch up.

my buddy has a bike very similar to this one , but it says Honda 55 on it . anyone know how many cc's that is ?

Rick

honda trail 55 is 49cc i think

it is not a trail 55 Benadam , just a Honda 55 step thru motorcycle

My buddy says it is a 100cc , but im not so sure .

Rick

Ben Van Zoest /

Gives a new name to 'barn fresh'..

wow nice find. even if the seller can't find the keys they r not that hard to hot wire :P. great bikes fast. indestructible has not been my experience but then again mine is a rat bike

it's 50cc. honda always puts the CC amount in the model number, but these early bikes werent like that. later the model number was changed to C50, which is the actual size.

Good news. Got a call from the owner today... found the keys! I'll be on the road in no time now!

« Go to Topic — end of thread