Is it possible to unseize an engine?

If yes, how? Also, is it possible to restore a scratched piston/cylinder head?

Re: Is it possible to unseize an engine?

If the piston is scratched/scored,you need a new one. A scored cylinder can be honed if it hasn't already been honed to the specs of an oversized piston.

If the piston won't move, stand the moped straight up against a wall and pour a capful of Marvel Mystery oil in the sparkplug hole. Let it soak overnight and then try to slowly push the piston into the cylinder.This method worked for a seized Minarelli engine I bought a couple of weeks ago.

It works. The whole thing works its just that lately it started going about 10mphs...I opened it up to see whats wrong and I find a badly scratched piston and cylinder. It slides fine...I think that happened because I was only putting 1.5oz of oil per gallon of gas.

Re: Rebore and new piston, possibly

The damage is done. Possibly the cylinder isn't seriously damaged and could be honed.

But if it truly has scratches, you'll have to have it bored to the next size up and get the matching piston.

If you don't have a motorcycle shop that can do it, try www.patrickdale.com. check oput the kinds of bikes he works on. He's in La Puente.

Close for me, but it depends where you are.

Jim

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account