Moped vs bicycle

Yeah, Going to work last night at 10;20 I almost bagged me a bicyclist. This all when down really fast. I was riding down the far right of the road way. Looked in the side view for cars coming up from behind. As I looked up there was the guy on a bicycle riding right at me. Mind you,I'm ride with the flow of traffic and his was riding against the flow. He lucked out and turned on to a side street and saved his ass. We were close about 5- 10 feet and I'm sure he crapped his pants. Thinking about it. If I would have hit him I wouldn't have been at fault. I was following the law and being where I was suppost to be and he wasn't.

Anyone else almost bag a cyclist

Re: Moped vs bicycle

hitting him would have hurt you too.

good point, but not as bad at he would have been

Had a kid going down a good hill once, and he ran a stop sign and hit my front bumper of my car. It bent his rear wheel. I was stopped when he hit me, but his dad came into where I worked and raked me over the coals, even though I took the kid to the store, being late for work, bought him a new wheel and tire, and mounted it for him. He admitted he knew he was wrong too, but his dad wanted to kill me. Now I think he finally knows I wasn't out to kill his paperboy.

I'm also a cyclist, and I outrun the mopeds I've seen in Philly. Guess not many people here tune them.

I usually scream at cyclists. You know the usual "get a job" or "buy a car" or "happy birthday" something like that. Just to make me feel superior for having an engine plus pedals.

if the person on a bicycle is actually in shape and its a racing bike they can go like 30-35 mph

but ya if there going agaisnt traffic and they get hit its there god damn fault for not following the laws.

***Vanilla Thunder*** /

last time i was in elkhart i hit a guy with a rental car. i was pulling out of an alley and he didnt care, went right in front of me and bam. he got up and was like IM FINE, BUT CAN YOU AT LEAST GIVE ME A RIDE HOME!

The first week i had a moped i was going down market st. NEXT to the bike lane. some speed suit asshole started screaming at me sayin fuck you, get out of here asshole, so i leaned in and kicked him off his bike.

I am seven and a half feet tall and weigh 200 pounds, but I can move faster than the quickest Olympic sprinter. I make no noise, and I can see over all but the tallest delivery van. I can traverse ramps and steps, go into buildings, and no numbers are painted on my butt. For sustenance, I eat the same food as my shorter, slower cousins, but in greater quantities with less detriment to my health.

I am young with hardly 100 years behind me, but when I leave the paths behind for roads I find younger, faster versions of myself that have drank great gulps of poisoned food - growing bloated shells and extra feet. I race among them, but my shorter, slower cousins hide behind colorful lights and bright markings on the ground.

Wait! This one looks sort of like me - the same two round feet, the same eccentric growths out from pre-evolutionary limbs! It has one bright eye like the bloated monsters and eats the same poisoned food, but perhaps we are the same beast.

[WHAM!]

Nevermind.

huh?

There is a guy I see some mornings doing the exact same thing. Bike riders doing this won't last long. I almost clocked the idiot the first time i saw him too. Now I watch out for him.

Bike riders are militant, especially here in Chicago. I've had more trouble with them than anybody else (cars, pedestrains, etc).

Almost got in a fight with a spandex'd bike rider about 3 weeks ago becasue I was riding in the bike route.

yeah, i love the dumb fixed gear hipster types who wear all black, no helmet, no lights at night and then get pissed when people cant see them. evolution in action.

I actually saw a bicyclist stop at a red light today and I was like "holy shit!" Generally bicyclists disregard every traffic light, stop sign, and rule of the road. And also run down pedestrians worse than cars. I had a girl go flying through a red light, onto a one way going the wrong way, and yell at me in my car for having to hit the brakes not to hit her.

bicyclist think they own the world.

so do most people :P

Well, when my bike isn't destroyed, I'm a bicyclist. Not a spandex biker, not even a road biker. But I ride a bike. Most bikers that I know are decent people, and in fact, most of us make fun of the spandex fixed gear assholes.

However, running stop signs and such... That I'm guilty of. Not saying it's a smart idea, but on a bike, it takes a lot more work to speed back up. If there's no cars coming, there's no reason to drop all of that wonderful momentum only to have to work it back up again.

Usually I cut the spandexers off, or if I'm not the ped, pass by them close, hoping to burn their leg or something on the exhaust.

Why the hell don't they ever use the bike lane / path even when one's provided?especially on parkways. Blows the mind.

--Scott

BryAn eurism /

I'm seeing a rash of head-on pedalers lately. Mostly overweight cholos on beach cruisers or bro's that can't afford to fill up their big white truck anymore.

Just 'drunk monkey' at 'em (air slalom)

"yeah, i love the dumb fixed gear hipster types who wear all black, no helmet, no lights at night and then get pissed when people cant see them. evolution in action."

Hah. That's me. Except the dumb part. And that I don't get pissed, because it doesn't matter if anyone can see me; I ride circles around the cars here in Philly. Evolution is when I get where I'm going quicker than anyone else on the road, and therefore my chances of breeding increase. I'm hittin' it while they're still sitting in traffic. ;)

i ride a bike, if neither of my mopeds work. it all ways runs slowest of the 3 but it gets u there.

i like to ride on the sidewalk, but that's b/c i don't like riding in the street since i like to ride slowly. but the cops do pull people over who go through lights in the street on their bikes. i love the assholes who stand in the middle of the sidewalk talking to people and then get mad when you go around them with plenty of clearance and they yell "you're supposed to be riding in the street" and I say "it's a sideWALK, not a sideTALK! get out of the way!"

AGREED Scott. When my moped's not functioning properly the next best way to get you there is a bicycle. Two wheels are far better than four any and every day. I just hope I never get taken out by a mode of transpo bigger than my weenie huffy. ha.

yeah i ride a bike in ohio untill i get my moped fixed. but i am guilty of running reds and stop signs. when your on a bike you dont care about whos around you, only about how much its gonna suck when you run that red and sumone comes out of nowhere an hits you. i can get crusin up around 25-30 around my town. the best park is skiching (or how ever you spell tht) cars. then you dont have to work. :D

Hooray for bike aliens!

I was in a bike shop digging through its small parts bin while the owner talked to a customer about clothing for bicycles.

"Really, if it's below 60 degrees you should wear spandex," the owner told the guy, "Above that, and you're fine with just a jersey and bibs[horts]"

"Really," I said, dropping the parts I didn't need anyway, "You should never wear spandex or bib shorts for any reason."

It's strange that some of the fittest people in the country can make tight clothes look so very, very bad. You don't need special clothing to ride a bicycle, you need special clothing to ride a motorbike: maybe a DOT helmet, some gloves, a jacket...

It's a sideWALK, not a sideRIDE.

Riding your bicycle on the sidewalk is not only illegal in most places, but dangerous to yourself and others for numerous reasons. Especially at intersections, when you leave the sidewalk and enter the perpendicular street as you cross it, cars are even less prepared for your entry into the roadway than they'd be if you were already in the street. Lots of the cyclists who get struck by cars are hit as they come off the sidewalk into a crosswalk.

Ride your bike like it's a moped. You'll be safer, and so will everyone else.

</rant>

Actually i would bet money the cops would sit make you at fualt for the cash. Becuase they would say you hit him and werent paying attention to the road ahead of you. Thus you would get the ticket, as well he might get one as well.

I'm a big moped fan and even bigger spandex tights wearing riding road bike fan (in the winter). Share the roads, life is too short.

didn't take long

Bicyclist injured in Palmer

by The Republican Newsroom

Monday July 28, 2008, 10:02 PM

PALMER - A 19-year-old bicyclist was taken to Baystate Medical Center in Springfield with a head injury after an accident with a Volkswagen Beetle on Route 181 (Sykes Street) near the intersection with Palmer Road at about 8:45 p.m. today, police said.

The bicyclist was traveling south in the northbound lane of Route 181 when the accident occurred as the vehicle headed north, police said. It was not clear last night whether the bicyclist was wearing a helmet.

The two-lane road was closed as a result of the accident. Palmer police officers Rudolph Wilk and John S. Melnick responded to the accident and were on the scene Monday night.

maybe now he'll go with traffic

i always do laugh when i see a spandex biker around here they have a really nice racing bike all the gear and are going 5 mph only slightly faster than me walking where there's kids on BMXs going about 10mph (faster when they see a jump). lastly u have me i go about 20 cruising i have a nice bike except not the skinny tires other than the tires ,and the fact that we got it at a garage sale. it is worthy to be ridden by a spandex rider who just trows money at bikes.