Wife can't crank the moped!

So, my loving bride comes home with this ragged ass moped last month,86 Garelli Basic, picked it up at a yardsale for 50 bucks..."I will ride it to work" says she...A complete rebuild , 500+ in new parts, tires, tank treatment, etc..And she can't crank the damned thing.It is a little tough for me too, though, we both smoke too much, I guess...I can't get it to idle yet, still tweeking .I don't know what is "normal" as far as cranking goes, I haven't had anything to compare to.I can crank it by pedaling 15-20 feet, fires right up for me, and it really pisses her off , because she does genuinely try, but just can't get it...Maybe I should sell it and get her an electric start bike? Will the Garelli ever start easier?Any recommendations on a bike with an electric start?maybe a shudder scooter would be better?Anybody?

Re: Wife can't crank the moped!

Matt Scout The Scouting Dcon /

a lot of times people will just use the pedals as a kickstart to get it to fire. get the pedal just past vertical, hold the starter clutch and stand on it. A well tuned bike should fire right up. A lot easier than trying to start it pedalling like a bicycle.

This is just a conjecture, but I was thinking that either you have a fuel issue (carb, fuel line, petcock) or maybe you should try a hotter spark plug, because shit isn't igniting right away.

Also, try using the throttle or choking it when you start it.

I pretty much never pedal start mine. I just leave it on the stand and position the pedal closest to the side I'm on so it is just about to come down. Then I grab the clutch lever and kick the pedal down. Only takes a half turn. Its kinda like a kick start but without a return spring.

woopsies someone beat me to it...

A would suggest getting a new wife and keep the bike...

Terry where in florida are you?

Good suggestions all, wife won't leave though, i guess i am stuck with her...I have been married to her longer than most of ya'll have been alive, btw...I have tried 100s of times to "kickstart" the bastard, just won't happen...I still cant get it to idle, so I know it's not completely tuned...I am very new to this 2 stroke crap, and no one in town knows diddleyshit about mopeds here..I rebuilt the engine, with new piston, rings, gaskets,cleaned carb (5 times) poked wire down every small hole, jet, etc.Replaced gaskets in carb, everything tight, no fuel leaks,,,,Anytime I turn around, bike shuts off, starts back up after 4-7 revolutions of pedals, quite the frustrating bastard...and it looks so good , too....I put a new speedo cable on it yesterday, says 22 mph top speed, that doesn't sound fast enough, does it? It is a Garelli Basic.Can it be points, maybe?clogged exhaust pipe?I cleaned it out as best as I could, sprayed degreaser, rinsed out, then carb cleaner, rinsed it too, not much carbon came out...Fixin to sell the damned thing if I can't make any progress!Jesse, I'm in Perry, Fl, in the armpit of Florida, 50 miles SE of Tallahassee....Thanks for all the suggestions/help guys. I really appreciate any tips I can get!

I would do the points and condensor and get those adjusted well. it should start better after that.

the clutch rubbers could be swollen.

run by it then throw in the clutch

i have found that with garellis, the easiest way is to put your hand on the seat and start walking with it. pop the clutch and it should fire right up. if it doesnt fire right up it will in a couple of feet. you dont have to run either. just a nice quick walk.

Just out of curiosity, how can I tell if my"rubber" is swollen?honest, this is a serious question!

im not sure what the garelli is all about, but it sounds like a sachs, and if that's the case it might be hard to turn over because the decomp lever isnt working right, be it malfunctioning or not adjusted properly. it should kick in with the clutch when you pull the lever.

My crank won't moped my wife.

I even tried. K.... sorry. I'm out for a ride... no more Deez babble!

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account