1980 Murray Exhaust

Just bought a 1980 Murray. It runs, but it is in need of some TLC. The major annoyance is the exhaust. It's very loud. The guy I bought it from gave me a Puch exhaust. What is the process for quieting the muffler or replacing it? Or, where can I find an online tutorial.

Thanks!

Re: 1980 Murray Exhaust

u could make sure it is on tight and u don't have a leak

It probably has a leak. It might be a bit loose near the sealing ring. Any tips for taking care of this.

I have a beautiful exhaust from a 1980 Murray that had only 679 miles before i removed it. Its very nice with the shield and all. Email me if interested.

How involved of a process is it to replace? I have a limited mechanical abilities.

Thanks,

Buy a new exhaust gasket, take the muffler off, clean the mating surfaces, and put it back on with the new gasket.

Also, does the muffler have the baffle in it? It will be real loud without one.

You can see the battle at the very bottom lefthand corner of this picture (which I blatantly hotlinked cause I'm a lazy bastard)

Try tightening the nut at the back of the exhaust, and tightening the two nuts that hold the exhaust to the cylinder. Replacing the exhaust is very easy, two nuts on the cylinder and one on the swingarm, that's it.

Thanks. Any thoughts on if a Puch exhaust will work with it? When I purchased it, the guy threw in a Puch exhaust model # 3491160002. Seems to fit fine and has a baffle. I tried it out and it seemed okay. It didn't stop the loudness of the bike, which seems to be coming from the engine. Maybe this is just typical of an old bike?

My murray had an angled exhaust port and a regular Puch exhaust wouldn't work. But if it fits, it fits.

Make sure it doesn't have an exhaust leak where the header meets the cylinder. You installed a gasket between the exhaust and cylinder, right?

if it's coming from the engine, it's a leak! get that gasket! see oily fuel goo at the bottom of the engine where the exhaust attaches after running it? you got a leak! tighten tighten tighten it up

jesse Kirkpatrick /

Any clue what the size of the nut is at the end of the exhaust. The nut that holds the baffle's silencer on and screws into the baffle rod? My local hardware doesn't seem to carry any nuts that fit.

Any suggestions for sizing?

Thanks.

Any replacement nuts/bolts should be metric. The most common one I've used is M6, but I've used some bigger and some smaller too.

Also, you can get a decent amount of noise coming out the back of the carb if you don't have an air filter on it. Do you have an air filter on your carb? (It should be like a black plastic box or long black plastic cone/cylinder thingy).

10mm m6

Were talking two 10mm nuts that hold it onto the exhaust port studs... You'll need a small 10mm socket. It's totally simple... If the baffle isn't in there just get a new stock puch pipe if you aren't worried about speed. They are a dime a dozen and can be had for cheap. Don't spend more than 20 bucks on one...

Mopeds aren't quiet. What's your idea of loud, like not quiet or is it so loud it hurts your ears? Two stroke bikes in general are pretty loud compared to a 4 stroke bike with a baffled exhaust...

Vimy Ridgeway /

Linda, stop... it's a troll. He has the answer. Love your descriptions, honest,

« Go to Topic — end of thread