Opinion on best carb cleaner?

Hello, I am about to dive in an do some major carb cleaning on my Yamahas and I have never cleaned a carb on a moped. I am wondering what your opinions on the best carb cleaners (spray or liquid). I have used the cheap spray carb cleaners from Wal-mart and brand name liquid on cars and had decent results. I was wondering what most of you use to soak parts and how long of a soak you give it. Also I have used this stuff called seafoam on my cars and had really good results. Have any of you used this to clean your carbs? It is marked for 2 cycle and 4 cycle engines as well. Thanks!!

Re: Opinion on best carb cleaner?

i like break and caliper cleaner. it will disintegrate anything non-metallic.

I like the cheep stuff tey sell at the crocery store beleive it or not. the one int he white can with black writing on it.

I just dont like the ones the get so damn cold when it comes out.

Autozone spray is my favorite. STP gets under your rings and burns. Valucraft does not evaporate.

Chem dip and water (like it says on the can) works wonders.

i buy the cheapest shit they make

Ϫ‡☄ಬ∞ ƀƖḬƝƊ ƤǂƿƎ ∞ಬ☄‡Ϫ /

i've had good results with seafoam. carefull not to overuse it though...

carb cleaner? yeah the cheaper the better.....

I normally use gum-out or whatever they sell at autozone, but the other day I used my friends b12 carb cleaner, and holy crap, I got that stuf on my hands and it burned like fire after a minute. Gumout does not do that, so I figure itll clean a bit better.

I just use WD-40

Zachary Evans, Destroyer of Worlds /

WD doesn't burn off though, it's meant to leave itself behind..

The big white can that always claims to have 20-40% more on it.

Though at work we use brake cleaner, seems to do the job as well, but fucks up gaskets right quick.

dollar store crap is better than the stuff at autozone in my opinion.. its just cheaper so they just put all cheap shit that burns through 500 foot steel wall

i like the shit that says carb cleaner on it.. it works hella good for cleaning carbs!

Ask a stupid question.....:)

berryman's b-12 chemtool.

hands down the best at removing varnishey-gunky-carbony shit. great for cleaning ring grooves, carbs, and anything else non-plastic.

What exactly happens to plastic parts when you get carb cleaner on them? How do you clean plastic if you cant clean it with carb cleaner?

I use STP. Just wash your hands frequently during use, and if you've got any cuts, I'd put on some gloves unless you like the sting!

toe fur threadkiller /

tongue+saliva

SSC-100

Cleats Onionpockets /

Anything that doesn't bounce back and somehow get around my goggles.

"not in my eye Poppa Smurf!"

The cheap stuff at autozone is perfect. The spray comes out nice and strong to blast out all the crap from the nooks and crannies. It is certainly harsh enough to break up the gunk but not strong enough to kill ur gaskets or skin. Unless your carb is a sad rusty mess you dont need anything stronger.

Steve Williams /

yamaha market their own carb cleaner,you can either immerse your dismantled carb in it or put it in your gas tank and let it flow into the carb,it's damn good stuff but a little expensive,i've found the best way is to immerse the carb,you can then pass the cleaner through a coffee filter and re-use it.

I buy Gumout (the spray kind) by the case. And I go through about 10 cases a year. Peace, Jerry.

mineral spirits. lacquer thinner. hot stuff.

bio diesel

cheep, non toxic. good for soaking.

"Solvency: Biodiesel can loosen or dissolve sediments in fuel tanks and fueling systems. Cleaning tanks prior to biodiesel use may be warranted. At a minimum, fine gauge filters should be used on fuel lines going into and out of storage tanks, as well as in the vehicle. Check these filters often during the initial phase of biodiesel use and change as needed. The solvency effect is reduced when using biodiesel blends. The solvency property of biodiesel makes it an excellent parts cleaner, but avoid contact with painted surfaces.

Material Compatibility: Biodiesel can soften or degrade natural rubber hoses and gaskets, leading to fuel leaks and spills. Most newer engines contain synthetic parts. However, older engines should be checked and any natural rubber parts replaced. Biodiesel is also not compatible with some metals and other materials. Aluminum, steel, fluorinated polyethylene, fluorinated polypropylene, and most fiberglass make acceptable storage tanks. Brass, bronze, copper, lead, tin and zinc should be avoided.

Spills: Spills of biodiesel blends should be treated as a petroleum diesel spill. Spills involving pure biodiesel require much less intensive clean-up. Consult with your local department of ecology or fire department for details.

"

I get the type that clearly print on the can that it's guaranteed to _NOT GO IN THE EYES_! hehhee what's the difference. Some people never pee outside. I do every chance I get. Some people love black... other's are crazy for yellow. Some people own convertibles. Some have never been in one. Some people won't fly, as others are pilots. Some people hunt with there bare hands, some people cheat, and use a gun. Some people eat hamburgers, some people eat icecream. Some people helmets, some people wear underwear.

The big white can that always claims to have 20-40% more on it.

Yeah that stuff. And i keep the tape on it and put the spray hose back under there so i dont lose it. or else i would.

I'll have to ask about this when I call for parts for the QT50. I have a list started but I really want to get it running first. Thanks!

« Go to Topic — end of thread