Hydralic Dampened Ebr ? Help?

I got a set of those hydro dampened forks from treats. The ebr's.

I know other people are running these, id love to hear some input on them in general, and in one specific regard.

They look beefier then your average forks, but in some areas are super super cheezy, like as in the chrome work.

I also am not impressed with the bolt syspem that holds the tubes to the triple tree, its just super janky.

i noticed that the bottom bolts were not even tightened and that the top ones were not either.

a few seconds later the whole triple tree fell into pieces and the tubes were seperate.

I thought this would be a great time to match the paint and paint the tree top and bottom and the headlight brackets so i did.

Then when the dried i tried putting them back together. Still totally janky. In summary, those 4 bolts are what seperates the fork tubes from pushing up under braking and going right thu the top of the tree? I cant tighten them down tight enough with wrenches to make me even unable to turn the tubes in the tree by hand. That seems real dangermouse.

Not i can go get an impact driver and drive the shit out of the bolts , but they dont look like impact driveable bolts. I also think doing that would crush the tops of the trees and crack not only my great paint job but the hokey pokey paint underneath.

What am i doing wrong? ( just in reards to the shocks if you will )

Re: Hydralic Dampened Ebr ? Help?

should read "now i can go get a impact driver"

also i tried putting them together, i didnt dried to put them together.

If pics would help let me know.

Maitland Of the Loin /

did you email me about these? if so sorry im just super busy and cant reply.

the OG magnum forks are only held on by a couple bolts too (brown/gold)

ill be honest my forks are solid and dont show any of the signs that yours do, but then again i never disassembled them that much.

I didnt email you but i certainly appreaciate your reply!

They will be fine i guess!

) Cupermcnewbster ( /

Sounds like the same issue with regular ebrs.

Im not sure of the diameter of the fork tubes, but on the low end magnum EBRs the tubes fit fine into the hydraulic magnum fork triple tree which is way beefier and stable. Try that out if you can.

yeah but im putting em on an xk....

Maitland Of the Loin /

the fork tubes are a larger diameter zach.

Man I could go for some of that Wilde bread right now.

? Alan?

First off, are these the inverted forks? I didn't have any problems with mine and have been impressed so far. Far from janky in my opinion... put them side by side with the old EBR's and you'll see a big difference right away. Best option on the market right now other than the new Tomos forks which might require wheel mods.

So all the bolts for the triple tree and bottom brace arrive loose which is expected... you'll have to fit it to the bike and get everything lined up.... at least that's my process and I'm really, really picky about this stuff.

I intall to the bike with everything finger tight, get the wheel on and tweak the geometry slowly till everything is the way I like it. If you can't get the bolts to tighten enough then something is seriously wrong... an impact shouldn't be needed and will most likely strip something out. It's tempting to crank down on them since it's what holds the tubes in place, but there's no need to over do it.

So it's either your method of there's a defect in your hardware.

It might be just this set.

I had some of the other ebr's and didnt like em.

this set just kinda fell apart in my hands.

Im sure it will be fine. My issuse that im used to moped shocks. These are more like motorcycle shocks.

Im more freaked out by the top not having a stop plate but another set of bolts to clamp down on the tubes.

these are the inverted ones, correct.

Thanks for you input man.

The thing is, on motorcycle forks, the triple trees are solid castings, not thin stamped steel. It takes very little torque to hold the fork tubes in place on a motorcycle. Just how much surface area on the triple trees is in contact with the fork tubes? The bolts look like they go clear through, and have nuts on them. You could use grade 8 bolts (those should be already, if they aren't, then yeah, that is a cheap setup) and tighten them as much as you want. Problem is, if the triple trees are real flimsy, you would just crush them. I was going to put a set of those on my Puch, to go with the super heavy duty rear shocks, but now I'm glad I didn't. The stock Puch forks look stronger. Peace. Jerry.

They are a stamped triple tree but are much better than the old EBR and stock forks. No comparision.

Sorry that was an off-topic post for Maitland. I'll reserve such things for the jerkoff forum.

These are way better castings then the stock ebrs.

I just cannot tighten the lower ones enought with a 1/4 inch rachet and a box wrench on the other side. Wierd.

Maitland Of the Loin /

haha. yeah these forks are wayyy better. you dont even need a stabilizer bar!!!

and yes, im not even sick of the wildebreads yet

we even have cinnabread with ice cream! santa cruz only tho

1/4 inch is real small maybe we should up it to 3/8ths

I've got some on my pinto2.7 right now (see pic attached) The are super heavy, much stiffer, and much longer then regular ebr's.

I took mine all the way apart and they went back together fine, and I can tighten all the bolts plenty for them to hold.

The fork tubes are 38mm OD.

I also fabbed up a fork brace and it made a noticeable difference, I recommend one.

The only major issue I've had so far is that the fork seals blow out of the fork legs after a few minutes of riding, makes me think these are shipped dry. They are also a little wider so a small spacer is recommended as to not flex the fork.

Has any one taken apart a fork leg yet? or replaced the oil?

Moped Game Sally Struthers /

oh that poor pinto...

I don't think those bright bolts are case hardened and an impact wrench might shear them - no big deal, replace them with some case hardened allen cap bolts and nuts. But it sounds like you have more of a + tolerance issue in the triple clamps. You might want to try to shim the tubes with 3/4" strips of 600 - 1000 wet sand emery paper folded in half. Cut them so they fit perfectly around the tubes without overlapping, get something to slightly pry open the triple clamps without marring the surface and try to wiggle and twist it into place. Then crank it down with some case hardened bolts.

Shit! I was looking at that front end for my Yankee Peddler project. Is it the same one that 1977 Mopeds had with the single disc brake? Sorry to hear it's so cheesy, it looks great in the pictures.

ryanr- what do mean? She's been spoiled with front and rear hydraulic suspension; "oh that poor pinto…' could apply to yours as well (I secretly love it though, and was very excited to see it in person in Portland).

Simonsez- not the same fork 1977 had.

Moped Game Sally Struthers /

im sorry that was a bit rude. i secretly like your rear suspension as well. i had a similar idea for a rigid bobber. then realized my knees would be comfortably resting in my chin. i guess im a fan of the way the pinto tank naturally mounts to the frame. it always looks weird to me when dudez add that support bar, then rest the tank on it. im glad you liked the bike. its actually getting more awesome today when i get off work. as that blue motor is finally getting replaced with a rightfully deserved 80kit.

Derek, do you know anything about the one that WAS on 1977 Mopeds? I read everything EBR has on their website about it, but I'm not going to fork over the $$$ if it's of poor quality like Andrew is conveying. Not at the prices they're getting for them.

EBR's are janky...

Now that's said, get some new bolts and throw those that came with it in the bin.

It looks like you've got plenty of room left over to tighten the tree around the forks. So assemble the fork the way you want it, and then tighten the bolts with a BIG wrench. You don't need an impact wrench. You will probably fold the triple tree in half if you do use one :P

I figured it out all , thanks.

The tubes are nice, but the finish work is really janky. Thats all there is too it.

Thanks ryan, the tank actually is hard mounted to the frame and "floats" above the crossbar. I'm hoping to have my rigid lowrider done before this winter; you might not like that one either as I really changed up the tank mounting, but you'll have to wait and see.

Simon - I don't know anything about them other then they are not inverted but are hydro. Motobrokane has some on his moby, they look nice, but he crashes a lot; and the disk brakes work good.

These newer (inverted & alloy) ebr's are much nicer then the old maxi/magnum ones. Still if you compare them to cheap mt. bike forks they are a bit janky.

The Hydro ones are extremely heavy compared to regular maxi ebr's and the alloy are noticeably lighter, both are much stiffer. The alloy ones also have the brake tab on the wrong side for Puch's and will need to be modded to work in that application, they do however look like a perfect match for a Sachs G3, and the tubes are the same OD as the old ebrs.

how would you mod it though. Weld something on to that shitty of alum. First there is the problem of finding a good alum welder, than there is the problem of messing with the shitty ass alum that is used.

Pretty stupid. Any one have any success with modding them to work on puchs brake?

Maitland Of the Loin /

also those "seals" on the bottom are not to hold the oil in, they are to keep dirt out.