WTF?! Mopeds are now motorcycles in California?

I just got back from the DMV.

I didn't have a plate or registration for my 1974 Puch Maxi S, just a bill of sale. Apparently, Ahnold passed legislation making mopeds pay the same registration fees as motorcycles. They say it's because "they are driven on the road, same as a motorcycle". It's gonna cost me $59 EVERY year. That's more than I paid for the ped!

So, all the info on the DMV website is old news.

SHIT!

Re: WTF?! Mopeds are now motorcycles in California

Shouldn't have gone to the DMV. Should have filled out REG230 and sent your 18 dollar check to the DMV instead.

I stood there arguing with the drone and the one next to her for twenty minutes, and got nowhere. Maybe it's because all I had was a bill of sale, no registration and the ped was "out of the system"?

I will now get a title, for what it's worth.

Fuck it- I'm taking the Guzzi to Myron's for some parts.

stop. why would u listen to some ignorant fat minimum wager at the DMV? do what everyone else does, do it by mail. they are wrong.

***Vanilla Thunder*** /

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="

&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

***Vanilla Thunder*** /

^^^next time go in there JUST LIKE THIS.

THEY LIVE!!! one of my top five movies.

if you're a rowdy roddy fan, you have to see hell comes to frogtown. incredible.

sorry, not trying to hijack the post. dmvs suck.

They Live!

Just do it by mail man!

hahaha we had a They Live/Big Trouble In Little China party a few months ago.

california vehicle code section 4020: a motorized bicycle operated upon the highway is exempt from registration.

tell that fat slug at the dmv to read the vehicle code that they sell and claim to enforce.

never go into a dmv for anything moped related. all you will do is waste time standing in line and you'll end up paying a bunch of money.

reg230 and $19 fuck everything else.

I don't know about CA, but in AZ, there is a major difference between a "motorized bicycle", meaning a bicycle to which someone has added a motor, and a "moped". A motorized bicycle doesn't require anything, other than you are supposed to be 16 to ride one, but a moped has to be registered ( $16 a year ), plated, have insurance, and you have to have a drivers license to ride one. Peace, Jerry.

For what it's worth, I just registered my new Tomos at my local Cali DMV office this week with no troubles. I brought the proper form in with me though. They took my $18 and gave me the plate on the spot.

no groms no blasters /

dustin: why do you send $19? Are you tipping the DMV?

Crap.

Now I gotta go back on Monday and bypass the drones and speak with a "manager" to set them straight and get my money back.

I now have a REG230 form.

This ought to be interesting.

everytime i send money it seems its up one dollar. last time i sent it in, i sent $18 and my "motorized bicycle identification card" said the fee was $19. i've always heard that they'll process it for a dollar short, but whatev.

Thanks for everbody's help.

I'll let you know what happens.

But wait, don't you have to have an M2 license to even ride a moped?

eldoroddo, isn't the DMV closed Mondays? Here it is anyway.

For what it's worth, Spudsilo's full of it. His old lady went to the DMV for him. I went there to kick ass and chew bubble gum. mmmmmmmmm, bubble gum.

fuck that shit

freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom

BryAn eurism /

At least now you won't be on the path to paying $60/yr for a 20mph bike. Srsly gotta do a SEARCH when you title these threads I almost ghosted my Sprint in front of a Hummer on yer account

3.50$ it cost me to reg. 2 mopeds on friday.... good ole nh! LIVE FREE OR DIE!

fucking Arnold what a dickhead.Good luck man Hope y ou can find a loophole.

Mine in Laguna Hills is open Monday. Better yet, it's half a mile from where I work.

just so everyone knows the title of this read is inaccurate

mopeds are still mopeds with one time reg. fee in CA nothing has changed.

yeah, i had the same problem as eldoroddo and it was all kind of vague at first, even on the wiki and everything but i figured it out and got my stuff straight. i made a post all about my experience to help anyone else out. here you guys go!

"California Registration, no paper work, plates or Bill of Sale!!!":https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/discuss/1/722172/722172/

----Key Points To Remember----

-The Wiki and the DMV form located there are key to registering your moped

(http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg230.pdf)

-The form is used for everything from new registrations to prior registered bikes

-The DMV office near you may not have full knowledge of mopeds and may confuse their knowledge of automobiles and motorcycles with them (they are different than cars or motorcycles) because of this, mailing in the form is suggested

-You do not need a Bill of Sale, just the signature of the seller on the DMV form listed above

-You do not need to purchase the moped from the original seller/registered owner nor do you need their information

-Mopeds do not have a Title or

yep yep yep mopeds rock ur socks off

) Cupermcnewbster ( /

the reg fee goes up a dollar each year now.

Here in Missouri you Never have to pay Anything to ride mopeds . Never !!!!!!!!!!!!

No plates

No insurance

No registration

No license

No property tax

Nottadamnthing ever !!! We are so lucky !

California , Not so much .