OT: Does this make me an asshole??

So i have this 4runner for sale, i got it from some dude in a trade, and he saw that i had posted it up for sale a while ago for 1500 and he offers me 900 dollars, what he originally bought it for. So i say yes, because i really need it gone. Well i get an email today from some dude, with cash in hand 1500 bucks. Do i sell it to this guy even though i basically told the other dude it was his. I wouldn't do something shitty like this for an extra 100 dollars, but this is an extra 600, and its money that i could really use.

Re: OT: Does this make me an asshole??

fuck it, just sell to the highest bidder!

IF the first guy didn't give you some money to hold it I would call him tell him you have a guy with 1500 bucks that your going to sell it to just make sure you let the other guy know. Also what year 4-runner I love the 85-89 models they fucking rock.

i know i just fucking gets to me when other people pull that shit, im just too nice of a dude.

I do not know the legality of verbal contracts..

-Unholysmokers - Chad Ferguson /

For that much extra money I think I would go with the higher bidder even if it does make you kind of a dick. You don't owe the guy anything, he isn't your friend. If you were running a business it would be a different story, but you aren't.

Does teh other dude have a down payment on it? Whoever gets there first with the money takes it unless the $900 guy is driving six hours to come and get it and he's on his way right now and you can't reach him to tell him it's sold. If it's on CL and the guy is offering you $1500, he won't show up anyway.

I'm not worried about legalities, and your prob right bry but its worth a try. And not the other dude doesn't have a down payment on it. And he is local. Its a 1986, it is pretty sweet but im over the whole truck thing for now.

600 is a big difference, the guy who you said could take it for 900 should understand that. kinda sucks...but 600 bucks is 600 bucks. i'm a nice guy who doesn't pull any of those unethical deals...but in this situation i would have a nice conversation with the 900 guy and explain why i needed to go with the higher offer.

what jesse said: let the first guy know he's been outbid, if he wants to match it he can still have it. That'd be fair enough for me if I were that guy, and that's sadly better behaviour than he'd see from half the listings on CL.

tough one eh?

i dont know, if i had reached a point in talking to him where i said "its yours" then i dont think i could break it.

i told a kid last week he could buy a bike from me for 65o that I could have got 8 or 9 for. I quoted him 650 when he asked , so when he produced the cash i gave it to him, althought it was a stupid thing to do.

it will teach me to not run my mouth in the future or at least to think.

This situation doesent have an easy answer, as we dont know who the dude is you said 9 for. And needing money and REALLLY NEEDING money changes things...

you would feel better if you talked to the dude and told him what was going down and he kicked you 1100 and said thanks.

but in the end, ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

At the end of the day everyones gonnna bitch about it anyway.

Hate to be a negative Nancy, but a verbal contract is a formal AND legal form of contract. Basically, if two or more parties have a meeting of the minds, are capable (NOT drunk or high), and there is consideration (some type of reward/payment for goods/services), then it is a legal contract either written or spoken.

No one will file legal action for the breach of a contract of $900, but just to let you all know, a verbal commitment IS a LEGAL contract and the breach of such contracts is punishable.

If you agreed to give it to him for $900, I say you man up to your word and sell it to him. Just my opinion...

its not sold till u have the money in your hand. also i would be a dick its 600 bucks unless he is driving 6 hours and on his way

This just happend to me yesterday though. I called a guy about a moped for sale, and he agreed to sell it to me. I told him I would be there in 40 mintues, and left. half way there (after 20-30 minutes of driving in traffic) he called me and told me someone was giving him $25 more and that he hoped I wasnt on my way. The bike was already gone, and I was out $10 in gas.

Lame.

_and he saw that i had posted it up for sale a while ago for 1500 and he offers me 900 dollars,_

How long ago did he offer this? If it's been a couple of weeks, forget him. Where's the money?

well its all good i called the dude with the 900 bucks and he is fine with it. Thanks for the advise

Great.... My only suggestion was to discuss this all with the guy with 900. If he is your friend, he deserves to know the truth, if you want to be friends.

He should understand that 1500 is far a better deal, but if he can't, he may not be that great of friend, and you may feel compelled to sell it to him to stop his whining. Anyway, sounds like ya talked to him. That's what I'd do.

Eh, try to enforce a verbal contract in court. It is worth the paper it is written on.

« Go to Topic — end of thread