CA Mopeders Attention DMV

Tom Rainwater /

The DMV seems to be trying to provide clear guidance on the various two wheel requirements within this state. The information is now on the front page of the web site.

HEADS UP: I got a license suspended notice for canceling insurance on one of my motorcycle/moped insurance. This is the second time I've gotten a notice relating to insurance on two wheelers.

First was a harley that went to salvage, I canceled insurance, DMV wanted to suspend my license. Sent in the release of liability form.

Second is a moped, I sold it, canceled my insurance and DMV suspended my license. I sent notice back saying they made mistake and no I will not pay re-instatement fee of $14 as it was DMV mistake. Sent release of liability form.

Morale of story, fill in Release of Liability whenever you sell, otherwise DMV thinks you don't have it insured any more. And which insurance agency is sending the cancel notice information to DMV with out explanation - PROGRESSIVE.

Additionally DMV doesn't require insurance on mopeds reading information of web page now. So if you ped is insured and you now cancel and not sell ped, DMV is going to suspend your license for having no insurance. I'm not insuring any more of my peds.

And now at 53, I am driving incorrectly suspended drivers license. BFD.

Re: CA Mopeders Attention DMV

Bummer

no groms no blasters /

All insurance agencies report everything to the DMV. That's why it's not a big deal if you get caught having forgotten your proof of insurance (unless the cop doesn't like the way you look and wants to make your life hard). Otherwise, the cop can just go look it up on the computer.

_Additionally DMV doesn’t require insurance on mopeds reading information of web page now._

What does this mean? The Motorcycle Handbook says, "the financial responsibility sections of the Vehicle Code apply to all two-wheel vehicle owners and operators." It seems pretty simple to me. Get insurance or otherwise be able to show financial responsibility and comply with CVC Division 7.

PS: Awesome pictures on that announcement. Motorized scooters, motor-driven cycles, and motorcycles all have nice factory showroom white background photos, but the moped is just a picture of some TFR in a parking lot stolen from mopeds.com.

where does it say that that DMV doesn't require insurance on mopeds?

If you read carefully that section applies to VC406(B) which is defined as *"a vehicle with pedals and an electric motor (not more than 1,000 watts) which cannot be driven at speeds of more than 20 mph on level ground even if assisted by human power. The motor must stop when the brakes are applied or the starter switch is released (VC

Tom Rainwater /

Wonder why they were explicit about insurance with a scooter and left it off of the announcement under mopeds.

Mopeds are motorized bicycles per the code, we not lumped under motor vehicles, as of yet.

just fyi... when a cop runs your plate, if it's a car/truck/suv etc. it will tell them the status of your insurance. when they run a moped, this information is not on there.

cvc 16028(A) requires that every person that drives a motor vehicle upon a highway is required to provide evidence of financial responsibility to a police officer or traffic collision investigator upon demand.

a moped is defined as a motor vehicle in california. you NEED insurance here.

keep in mind that in the motorcycle handbook that everyone refers to, on page 1 or 2 has a disclaimer saying that it is NOT the law, and that the california vehicle code supersedes anything written in there. a lenient judge might let you slide if you provide that and cite confusion, however... it's only going to work once at the most.

as far as majtom's scenario, i wonder if the dmv fucked up and registered it as a motorcycle? i can't see how they could expect you to insure a vehicle that you are no longer using. what if you kept the bike, but were just no longer using it? it's not like a car.... there is no provision for a planned non-operation. i'd call the dmv and explain the situation.

when calling dmv, i'd cite the following vehicle code:

cvc 4020 - a motorized bicycle operated upon a highway is exempt from registration.

remember... the dmv is nothing more than a fee collecting agency. they do not do anything to provide any type of service for anyone, all that they are there for is collecting registration fees, processing fees, and their cut of parking and traffic citations. all they see is green.

Tom Rainwater /

I buy insurance on the peds to defray liability, but my reference goes to the web page specifically not saying insurance is required on mopeds when they said such on the scooter section. You figure, I think the water just got murky.

"I buy insurance on the peds to defray liability, but my reference goes to the web page specifically not saying insurance is required on mopeds when they said such on the scooter section. You figure, I think the water just got murky."

i don't understand what you mean

Tom Rainwater /

I stand corrected - the DMV page doesn't broach the issue of insurance for the various types of two wheelers.

I hope I get out of trouble on Monday since i sent them another Release of Liability. I know they are going to press me hard to pay the $14 to have my license reinstated.

« Go to Topic — end of thread