Un written rule

It should be a unwritten rule that. You should get your ped running strong stock before you ever mod it.

Re: Un written rule

one of us...

Yep. It actually is an unwritten rule.

There are a lot of those unwritten rules. A lot of people break em. A lot feel the consequences, some get lucky and don't :P

Just relax and accept that there's always going to be people who get into peds and the first thing they do is get an 80cc kit and spam the forums with their problems :P

I say this because I have worked on alot of peds and scooters and never modded except what I can do for free. and have just now come to the point where I think I can mod them with out fucking a kit up.

well if your cylinder was messed up when u got it, then it is usually about = $ to kit than to get stock. so y not kit it just don't say, "i need instant speed can i put a metra 80 on, and where does it go?"

Um, no stock cylinder costs as much as a kit. And the reason not to is because you don't know how your shit works if you haven't tuned it stock, and so you don't have the know-how to tune a kit, or often, even enough knowledge to install it correctly. Hence all the posts where people install their pistons upside down and can't figure out what's wrong.

I agree, get your shit running stock first. Let it be written, let it be done.

our crew, The Cream City Cranks, has a few

#1 rule of mopeds:

Dont break a running bike to fix a non-running bike

#2 Get it running good before you fuck with it

blah blah blah

rule of life is to not try and make rules for other people. mind your own shit, it'll make you happier in the end.

_Um, no stock cylinder costs as much as a kit._

I'm going to call a big BULLSHIT on that. Go to a honda dealership and price a new top end for a hobbit.

Or a new stock top end for a puch from any supplier...

actually it was 20 bucks more to kit the c70 than to get the stock so i thought wtf y not

fuck all this rules shit, you guys generalize everyone riding or kitting a moped for the first time into the noob category and it's stupid, I make a living working on cars and have been doing it for a long time. Moped are fucking toys, do what you want with them my first kit was a metra80 because it wasn't that much more money than a 50cc or even 70cc cylinder that my moped needed to get running. it took a little longer to get it running but I learned a lot from it, yeah i fucking seized it twice but shit, each time was for a different reason and I learned from it, Most people on here that build fast ass bikes probably seize once or twice trying to get peak performance out of their kits, So if YOU want to learn all your basics on a stock cylinder go ahead. I'll do it my way, i'm sure a lot of people will feel the same way.

Mike, Why are you so pissed?

I'm not that pissed, i've been hearing this a lot and it directly applies to what I started out with. Hearing that kind of talk doesn't sit well with me.

might as well be "start with a puch and learn to work on it before you even try to ride a french bike."

Jake Shaughnessy /

haha, thats funny mike but but i have a better rule. If you cant fix your own dam moped you shouldint have one.

There you go... If you're going to sieze something, sieze the stock engine, not a crazy expensive kit. I've never siezed an engine, and probably won't for a long time, because I learned how everything works before I dove into aftermarket parts. If you play it safe, you won't sieze. Start high with the jets, work down one by one. If you stay too rich the whole time and test for air leaks, how the hell will you melt the piston?

I'm tired of people complaining because they didn't spend enough time getting familiar with their engine before they decided to throw a kit on it. If they F up, it's not my fault. Don't complainn because you didn't know what upjet meant and stuck with your 52 bing jet and your 12mm carb on your 80cc kit.

People throw money at their bikes. Parts DO NOT make the bike faster. Your most expensive build could get you to a whopping 5mph. The tuning will make your bike go faster. a 50cc engine can go 50mph, so why would you buy an 80cc kit if your goal is 45mph? You shouldn't!

Hell, if the stock cylinder is shot, you can get a whole new top end for $25 in the buy/sell forum. I've never seen a kit for that cheap.

Eric

jetting has never been a cause for one of my seizures. surface rust in the gas tank was one, yes I did have a filter inline. the second time was a cracked rubber intake boot that held the carb on, caused it to lean out. It cracked while riding so I didn't have air leaks before hand. I didn't bitch about it in the forums, I fixed it. So your rules don't apply, I think the better rule is what jake said " if you can't fix your own moped you shouldn't have one" or better yet, suck it up, learn and don't bitch. But honestly, don't try to make rules for me.

See Mike, you read up and didn't bitch when shit happened. What I hate is all of the new people that cry about stuff when they didn't put time into research. Rust does suck!

If I had the money I would totally throw it at my bikes. Trying to get speed and often in my case operation for cheap/free is getting old, but I am learning a lot.

I think we are running into 2 different schools of thought here.

"Mopeds are toys" if a toy breaks so the fuck what. Nothing wrong with this view.

I however, for whatever reason have some pretty strong feelings for my bikes. I literally feel pain when one is fucked up.

Sometimes I envy people who can just say fuck it, its just a toy, I'm gonna ride it like I stole it.

I feel the same way about my bikes.

a part of the reason I don't feel bad about breaking shit is because I LOVE working on them, trying new things, tuning, etc..

just riding a moped is 1/2 the fun for me.

i've been trying, but it seems like some parts no longer exist, or price is too high. why should i spend $279 to get stock muffler shipped from europe when i can get a higher performance one for $150ish?

@Mike: Calm down, we're not trying to make rules for anyone.

Everyone should do what they want to do. What I was just trying to say, that most people who get into mopeds and are not very technically inclined should not kit their engines. Because most of em will fail and start complaining to us. They should learn before attempting the advanced stuff.

Now your case is a bit different. You are technically inclined and when you broke your stuff, you didn't come whine to us but you just thought: Crap, it's broken. Let's fix it. I have no problem with that. I respect that.

I've never seized a kit in my life (Well once, but that was because I wasn't particulary sober when assembling that engine and I forgot the piston-clips), because I took the long way. I started with 50cc stock bikes, adding an exhaust, fiddling with jets etc.

If I had started out with an 80cc kit, I would have failed miserably.

I think the problem lies with the people who think that it's all just bolt-on fun. They don't understand or appreciate the complexity of an engine.

yep

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account