Bicycle rims and spokes on a 'ped?

Just curious - I found a shop here that will order me any parts I want for my project (Cimatti rat bike kinda thing), and this guy has rims, hubs and DISC BRAKES that will fit my Pirelli's. My question is, will those rims/hubs hold together on a 'ped at 50 mph? They are 100 spoke btw...

Re: Bicycle rims and spokes on a 'ped?

ask

didnt he just ask?

lol :P

I asked the bike guy, but I think my 'ped is the first one he's ever seen. He has people that do some pretty extreme mountain biking that use some of the stuff he has - which is why I'm considering it. I figure if they can handle trails at 30 MPH, they can handle streets at 50...

i personaly think that if puchs can rock spoked rims (granted the dont have any special spoke tighening devices or thick walled rim) and they definatly dont have 100 spokes. you should be good.

the only i would be worried about is the disc getting ripped off if you grabbed the brakes really hard from the force of (~90lbs. + ~160lbs.) the moped and yourself going 50 is going to be pretty hard on the discs.

i would see if they look _kinda_ weak. and see if there are anyways to strengthen them.

good luck

what you say makes sense with the whole trails thing, but have you thought about the weight difference? bikers try to be as light as possible, but you with your moped and pack will probably weigh anywhere from 250 to 450 pounds depending on how big you are. that's in comparison to 150 to 250 pounds depending on the biker.

plus i doubt bikers are going down many trails at 30. have you gone through a parking lot full speed before? it seems like crazyness. multiply that by like 4 for the trees flying by your head.

This isn't the shop, but this is the kind of brake setup he has:

http://www.blueskycycling.com/product68_70_-Hayes-Disc-Brakes-HFX-9-HD-V8.htm

Do those look weak to ya?

We have a pretty sick mountain biker community here in Vancouver. I have seriously seen these guys going 30 down a super steep trail. We have mountains that are just a 30 minute bike ride from the city limits, so we get all kinds of crazy mofos here.

For a moped, yes. Look at Tomos disk brakes. I don't think they'd make them that heavy-duty if they didn't need something that heavy duty.

I'd be less worried about the strength of the rims/spokes and more about the quality of the bearings and other hub internals on a setup like that. For all the abuse mountain bikes take they aren't designed to cruise at 40+ speeds for extended periods of time.

yeah what he said lol

also look at dirt bike discs

I wonder if I could fab up a bracket to make Tomos brakes fit my Cimatti...

You can actually put Tomos Revival or Streetmate forks w/ diskbrakes on a Cimatti. I've seen it done.

Actually in David Frick's profile you can see a picture of him riding a Cimatti frame that he made into a top tank. Those are Tomos forks on there. They aren't the disk brake version but thats the only difference. They fit on there with no mods.

A good friend of mine is an engineer at hayes, they are made here in milwaukee. I had a long chat with him about this exact thing. He said the hydraulic ones might boil the fluid if used continuously, but anything made for downhill mtb's should be plenty strong. HE reccomended a cable operated brake rather than a hydraulic one.

When people think "bicycles" they automatically seem to think "Walmart". High dollar mountain bikes, and I'm talking in the $3000-$5000 range, are WAY stronger than any moped ever made. Problem is, the parts cost WAY more than moped parts too. Peace, Jerry.

I MTN bike

I have been a hard core mtn biker for 3 yrs now (500-1500mi a year on single track) I have had hayes brakes on my bike and let me tell you they rocked! my bike weighted in at 30lbs but i have friends who ride down hill bikes that way up to 60lbs so i dont see why it wouldnt work. also they spin the 9" or bigger brakes and use a 20mm axle

dont see why that wouldnt work. The biggest prob i see is a way to fab up a mount that will be strong enough... they usually mount to a part of the fork. a better Q might be can you get a triple tree mtn bike fork to mount up to a moped? they use a 1.5" stem.

Re: I MTN bike

I do a lot af freeride mtn biking. I have sun single track double wall rims. they are like 36 spoke? i havent counted. And i have been up to 35 on a road and gone off 5 foot drops with flat landings, bigger with sloped landings. (drops on to flat ladings are really hard on rims) so far they are still true. 100 spokes are really strong.

Eaxctly what rim set\ hub is it?

Bruce Edwards /

yes you could.

Bicycle wheels WILL hold up on the road at 60+ MPH (look into gravity bikes).

-Chris

Bruce Edwards /

But will they meet NHSTA rules?

No, but who cares? Peace, Jerry.

dude, I'd roll 100 spoke rims.

Get that shit a gold powdercoat.

Let me know if these work out, Ill be looking into getting some whenever I get around to my next project.

Sorry if this has aready been suggested - I didn't read past the first 10 or so threads. I wouldn't try welding a disk bracket on a stock fork tube . The fork twists bigtime and eventually breaks the disk bracket tab . Hold the forks with your legs and twist the handle bars - see what I mean . I tried lacing a disk brake mt bike hub to a 17" rim and Tig'g a bracket as you found on the lower fork tube - Worked great til I grabbed it hard one time and the fork tube twist by slightly bending at the axle bolt , eventually the metal fatigued and breaks the caliper mount not the weld whipping around and winding up the brake cable and sending you down .Let's just say that hurt . The inner axle locknut and outer nut didn't provide enough surface to hold off the rotation of the fork tube . It eventually put a slight bend in my axle and cracked the caliper bracket and it snapped . It worked well for about a year before it cracked and snapped. I eventually went with CR80 front fork tubes on a 5-star tree with a disk setup hub and then later a drum fork for the looks and the ability to use stock snowflakes . A CB100 tree and dirtbike tubes also work. I thought of going cheap chinese pitbike or scooter stuff but haven't had one available to mod. I wouldn't do a Mt bike setup again because for one, the pads are expensive and the disks are fairly thin to begin with - but they look real cool all spindly and such .

I'll have to ask the bike guy what the name of the manufacturer is for the wheels/rims.

As for the forks - someone pointed out a set of aftermarket springer forks (a la oldschool Knuclehead) to me - I'll be using those. I can fabricate pretty much anything I need so I don't think the actual mount will be a problem, and the forks are solid bars of aluminum as I remember.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account