original prices

almost all mopeds on the road now are old, most of them from the 70's and 80's.

im looking at prices on craigslist and i am wondering if they are asking for a good price.

do you guys remember when mopeds were new, how much did they cost?

specifically asking about honda express/50, tomos sprint/bullet, etc. theyre all very similar right?

many of the ads ask for $600 to $800 for a honda express. i personally think this is very expensive, but i could be wrong.

thanks!

Re: original prices

I saw an old ad somewhere that a new motobecane in 1975 was $700. I dont know how much that would be in today money, I am guessing some where in the $2000 range

Um, I was about 3 then, so nothing is coming to mind.

No, don't pay more than $500 unless it is rare, beautiful, and runs great.

there is a moped book i took out from the library that had most moped brand original prices

My 1980 puch maxi luxe high torque came with an original receipt from 1980. It was like 500 something out the door.

I just sold a 1980 maxi in chi-town for 900 bonezes

my 1986 maxi sport was $900 when new

spork Guarnierius /

Here's a nice add from the late 60's that has a rebadged benelli moped being sold by monkey wards for $189. I picked up a somewhat beatup example of the 50cc 4 speed "sport bike" noped pictured next to the moped (that originally sold for $259) for $200.

http://www.piston.com/historical/mward.html

Leon Swarmer /

thanks studge, i had one of those 125 MW Benellis.

May be interesting trivia, but original prices have absolutely no bearing on resale for stuff like this - it's pure market driven. With availability, gas prices, collectors value, etc, etc, 30+ years age (gasp!) it just doesn't matter what the original price was. It might have been a special sale for 10 dollars out the door back when, and if you throw that in the guys face who's asking 900 bucks, he's got every right to wonder just what, exactly, is your point.

spork Guarnierius /

I totally agree that it has no relation to current prices but it is fun to compare. Sometimes you can pick things up for a fraction of the original cost (without even figuring in inflation) and then sometimes things are outrageous. I love to look at the original prices for old muscle cars. Imagine paying around three grand for a brand new 426 Hemi Cuda back in the day and then seeing the astronomical prices a "restored to new" condition one will get now.

i'm trying to scan in the original invoice. not happening yet, but i paid $609 + tax on 10/20/81 for a Newport II.

My parents bought a 1971 Honda Civic the month it appeared on the dealers lot. It was TINY. It had 12in wheels and an air cooled 650cc twin under the hood. They loved it. It was $1750.00. Wish they'd gotten half a dozen of them now and just stored them.

To me 700 sounds reasonable becuase the demand for moped has gone up since gas prices have gone and in trade that gives us lots of room to play with the price so in this day and age for a good running ped you could get 1000 if you so chose to.

I bought a Vespa Ciao brand new in 1972 for $215.00

wsemajb: wrote

"My parents bought a 1971 Honda Civic the month it appeared on the dealers lot. It was TINY. It had 12in wheels and an air cooled 650cc twin under the hood. They loved it. It was $1750.00. Wish they’d gotten half a dozen of them now and just stored them."

that was not a civic that was a Honda 600. The first civics were 1200 4 cylinders.

I think the Honda Express mopeds are selling really high lately just because of their reliability and because their parts are so available.

About 5 years ago, I got an 82 Honda Express on eBay in perfect condition with title for $125.

Now on eBay, the same bike would go for $700+.

I have this car and got many stored away. They are not civics, since they were not imported untill 1973. They are called a Honda 600 coupe or sedan.They have 10 inch tires and have a 600cc engine.I can not wait for some money to come my way to get one back on the road. My coupe, went as fast as 98 mph.I drove a Honda 600 up a tall bridge with a passenger on one cylinder one time when i striped out the spark plug hole. Do not buy a Honda Express, unless you get it for $50.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account