I'm looking for some riders to assist as volunteers with a fund-raising bicycle tour in West Michigan. I need up to 20 riders to patrol the routes. Starting place is Ludington. There are 4 routes -- a 14 mile route out to Ludington State Park and back, a 26-mile route that also runs up the east side of Hamlin Lake, a 62-mile route that goes south to Hart, east to the lakeshore, then north through Pentwater and back to Ludington. The 100-mile route goes north to Hamlin Lake, east to Fountain, south to Walhalla, east to Hart and the lakeshore, then north to Pentwater and back to Ludington. The long routes have enough gas stations to keep a moped moping.
Here's what you ought to have:
1) A reliable moped! We don't want to be sagging in our support team!
2) A moped that isn't absurdly loud
3) A cell phone to keep in touch with the base station, if need be
4) A box or saddle bags or some cargo arrangement that would let you carry some bottled water or other emergency stuff (like tools to fix a flat tire).
5) A helmet
Here's what you get in return for being a volunteer:
1) Really nice routes, especially if you're on the long routes. Some hills -- a few are big.
2) Mostly low traffic along the routes. Good shoulders in areas where traffic is heavier.
3) Snacks at the bikers' rest stops, every 10-16 miles.
4) A picnic at the finish.
Here's the web page for the bicyle event:
The sponsoring organization is a local charity.
If you'd like to help with this, let me know. Also let me know how to contact you.
Event Chairman (and moped owner! But for this ride I'll be pedalling the 100 mile route)