I need help building a moped

Ok here is the deal...i was given a 1977 peugeot 103 moped...i want to strip it down and rebuild it from the frame up...unfortunately i know absolutely nothing about mopeds...after i sand it down and repaint the frame i plan on buyin all the parts needed and putting it together myself...if anyone could help me out on what to buy first...forks, handle bars engine im just not sure where to start.

Re: I need help building a moped

put on the forks, bars and seat. then u can flip it over if needed. then put on your engine and electrical actually u can start any where that is just the order i would do it in

How about not using the name "Moped Mike"

thanks zeke, juan it sounds like youre a lil upset that mopedjuan doesnt sound as good...and anyone else any other help would be really appreciated

do you want to buy all new parts? or mostly the original from the bike? if you want new, you are getting into a world of pain. peugeots have EVERYTHING available. its all expensive and its all french. get forks... then swingarm and shocks. wheels and tires so you can look at it. seat. bars. bottom end. bearings. seals. crank. intake and carb. top end. head. pipe. cables. controls. pedals. pedal pulley. air filter. you see where im going with this? what do you want to keep stock on the bike? what will you get used, and what are you trying to get NOS?

oFace Killah /

burn...

what you want to do first is set your bike up in your garage. get like a lawn chair or something set up so you can stair at the disassembled mess and put some good jams in your ear. a beer at the ready doesn't hurt either. start picking up parts and figure out where they belong and bolt em up. sometimes the order will be right but other times you'll have to undo stuff to let other parts fit but that is the best way to learn. another word of advice, if it isn't torn apart already take a bunch of pictures so you will have some reference later

AMEN, Noel!

In the event that it currently runs you could fire it up and ride it for a while . . .

That is unless its just a frame and then you could just push it around . . .

Just take it slow and take a lot of pictures. Put all the small parts, bolts, etc . . . into labeled ziplocs. But my advice is get it where it can run because a project like that could take awhile. Once its running, then start modifying.

I think my first moped was a home made Peogeot 3 wheel moped. I took the clutch apart and broke the clutch disc pad. I took the flywheel off to find that it does not have a key or a pin to line it back up and must be timed manualy each time it is removed.Needless to say , i never got that to run.A friend of mine said he saw it in the garbage as he was riding to school on the bus and skipped school after he got off the bus to get it.I purchased it or traded something for it. It was a 3 wheel bike frame with Puch forks and Puch wheels and a Peugeot engine, i wished they would of used a Puch engine. I am not sure what model Peogeot it was, but this thing made a Motobecane look good after what i had been through with it.Remember, do not take off the flywheel.

About a year ago, I rebuilt an '80 Puch Newport from the ground up. Both the engine, and the rest of the moped. I won't go into the engine, a Puch engine is totally different from a Peugeot. But I did keep them totally seperate. I didn't even start on the engine till I finished the rest of the moped, I just removed it, and set it aside. I used several small cardboard boxes, and several ziploc bags, and made a lot of notes, but didn't take any pictures. A moped is really pretty simple. I did replace a lot of the nuts and bolts with new ones just because. Basically, I took it completely apart, kept the parts separated in groups, carefully examined each and every part, cleaned everything that wasn't mechanically perfect, and I do mean cleaned, as in surgically clean. Everything that had any damage or wear, other than purely cosmetic, got replaced, which was pretty much everything but the frame and wheels, and a FEW other parts. After the whole moped was back together, I then rebuilt the engine/transmission. I did it the same way. I replaced all the usual parts that get replaced during a rebuild, plus a few other parts that didn't meet my standards. It took several months, and several hundred dollars, and I didn't even repaint it, I wanted to keep the weathered look. What I wound up with, was a brand new moped, for the price of a brand new moped, not counting all the work, that still looked like an old moped. I've put more than 4,000 miles on it since the rebuild, with no problems at all. I did it completely stock, no mods at all. I resisted the temptation to just get it running, and start riding it. If I had, most likely all of the above would never have happened. I had other mopeds to ride while redoing that one. Peace, Jerry.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account