i crashed today

on the way to work this morning, in the snarling traffic of the longwood medical area (boston people will know what im talking about).

get this - i was accelerating from a light, and BAM, a tiny fucking UNLEASHED lapdog, screams across the OTHER side of the road, directly into traffic and in front of my 100% dead mint 77 moby. no joke - i think it was actually trying to attack me. i had no time to react, slammed on the breaks, and basically went over the bars. nice road rash and a fucked up arm ensued. spent 6 hours in the er today.

my bike isnt terrible, but the front light housing is smashed, a pedal arm is bent, the bars are slightly weird and my precious, incredibly nice seat is torn. the lady was a little shocked.

oh well. kevlar gloves saved my hands (buy them if you dont have them). my arm is pretty nasty, and my wrist is kind of fucked up. but otherwise i survived.

i guess you never know where "its" going to come from, but the moral of the story is i valiantly saved the retarded dog at the expense of my right arm and my moped.

Re: i crashed today

Jay that is messed up! Did the lady stay around to help you? How fast were you going?

The good think is that you are going to be okay! Broken arm or just pain/road rash?

-Fred

Im just going to throw this out there, but next time hit the dog. But then again I dont particularly like lap dogs.

Edward Richardson /

Small dogs in the street are fair game for punting, or pop the front wheel up to clear and take the obstacle with the rear tire.

i was only going 20, maybe 25, because i was still accelerating. the lady did stay around, and seemed concerned. her friend, who was holding two pomeranians just stared at me and was like, "gee, i wish i could do something, but i guess gail has to help you."

she was immediately saying how it was her fault and she would pay for whatever. my copay is $50, and my one pair of jeans is now torn, and the parts i need will probably be kind of pricey, but it really was 110% her fault.

i though my wrist was broken, which would have been devastating because i wouldnt have been able to play or build banjos, but in the end i think i just sprained it. the road rush was horrendous looking at first, but now that the swelling is down, its just regular, not-really overwhelmingly-gross.

I.R.E. Mike Pee /

I'm sure there is a leash law there. She is legally responsible because he dog was not on a leash. I used to work for an insurance company...

Oh man, glad to hear nothing was majorly broken! That's my greatest fear aside from cars...people usually know better, but in a car, all bets are off, and worse a dog sometimes doesn't understand...If you need anything, just let me know man!

there is a leash law. that it was her fault is beyond question. im actually surprised the dog wasnt killed by oncoming traffic going the other direction, which it had to cross before getting to me. on my way home from the hospital, a car driven by an old man made a left turn and we both had to skid to a halt as he was about to smash into me head on. i had the right of way. he wasnt signaling. wtf?

I am sorry to hear it! That would be nice for her to pay your co-pay and maybe give you some cash for parts.

You should post pictures...

Yeah, morally and legally she is obligated to pay for your damages. Glad you and the pooch are ok. Sorry about your ped though. :-(

hey! i just wiped too.

thats why i cant have nice things.

y did u mess up your moped over some one Else's retarded lap mouse ? this really confused me :S

Dog would of been dead if it where me.

i really didnt even know what was happening. i heard someone shreaking, a split second later i saw something darting right in front of my moped, and i just instinctively hit the breaks.

That really sucks Jay. Glad to hear you're okay though, that could have been worse. Did you have x-rays taken of your wrist?

Make the owner for any medical related costs, lost work time and ped damages. Squash the rat next time.

woulda done the same thing, i dont think i have it in me to smush a dog

If the dumb bitch can keep the stupid anklebiter on a leash and you hit it and kill it oh well one less hostile little dog in this world I would have ran the fucker over screw it.

Motorcycle Safety Handbook states that dogs are attracted to motocycles for some reason. For anyone who sees a dog trying to attack you on your ped, Slow down quickly and safely, Changing the dogs trajectory (forcing the dog to recalculate the distance and angle of impact) then Speeding up again to leave the little unleashed bastard in 2stroke smoke. I know this situation wasnt Jay's, but if i saw that little bitch coming after me, I wouldve delightfully kicked the shit outta that dog.

you know, its true. dogs are always going crazy, and running to the end of their chains and barking at me. its really noticeable. in this case, though, it came directly from my side, was really low to the road, and was even kind of pavement-colored. but i definitely steer clear of dogs for this weird reason.

My dog (husky - real dog) is so incredibly attracted to anything with two wheels. I used to think it was because he's so used to mopeds and bikes being around or that they remind him of me, but I don't think it's that endearing afterall. He pissed on my neighbor's new Vespa yesterday...Good dog.

Good job minimizing damage points!

osprey of Dee'z loinz /

so you only got road rash right?

#CrazyWayne™ rocks. #CrazyWayne /

Hit the gas frist then the road kill. don't swerve brake and get hurt/killd over a road rat.

yea i wouldve killed the gas and braked so i didnt get hurt, if the dog got hit after i took those actions i wouldnt care...

Brake hard up until the point of impact, then release both brakes and keep your weight back to help your front wheel clear the obstacle.

Really though, I just wish my front brake was strong enough to send me over the handlebars...

on our way to chicago for brobq, graham and i had a dog chase after us for a couple blocks leaving milwaukee. and this dog was a bigger dog, not some lap dog. it was terrifying. graham, with his wide knowledge of the doggy world, knew that he only wanted to play because his tail was down.

still scared the shit out of me.

Damn you must have good brakes. Hope you feel better.

Man im sorry to here about your misfortune. maybe this will cheer you up. yesterday I saw 4 wennie dogs charging across the street in front of traffic to "attack" this dude walking. They were pissed and started chomping away at his ankles - so he punted. wennie dogs can fly. hope you have a speedie recovery.

judge judy

Judge judy is a nasty little bitch with you're luck she would have judged for the stupid bitch with the dog.