Moped or motorcycle?

Hey folks,

I have yet to own a moped, but I'm still a bit up in the air about which way I should go.

I don't know if I should continue looking for a small honda motorcycle (I got an offer for a CB400) or if I should focus all of my attention to a moped.

I need something that can comfortable seat and carry two passengers on a regular basis. Something that could handle a trip from, say, Seattle to Olympia would be great as well.

I also don't have my motorcycle endorsment, so I would have to go through those motions.

A friend of mine was originally going to sell me a CB200, but he said it wouldn't work well with 2 passengers. What about a CB400? What kind of moped do I need to get to handle that?

And lastly, I recently found a gentleman who wants to sell me his Honda c90. Its a '66, but has only had two owners and has 424 original miles.

Which direction should I go?

Thanks

Re: Moped or motorcycle?

Get a motorcycle!

Id get a small motorcycle for what you want, but Id get a Yamaha or something else two-stroke, not a four stroke. At least in TN you can get by without a motorcycle license on anything under 125ccs, and a bike like an RD125 is still quite a capable little machine.

I would love to have an RD125, unfortunately, they are becoming very rare, and parts are difficult to find. For long distance travel with a passenger, I would recommend something a little bigger, a Honda 400 should be fine. And if you are going to get a motorcycle, I recommend doing it right. Take the MSF course, get your license, and get a good helmet. Those things just might wind up saving your life. Peace, Jerry.

get the 400 no moped can carry 2 people and do that distance and mopeds r slow but great machines for in town

your friend is ridiculous, my 69 yamaha ct175 handles two people amazingly. i mean i wont win any races with it, but it sure as hell can take it.

Wait are you sure you aren't thinking of scooters and not mopeds? I mean if you think a 200cc motorcycle might struggle than how do you expect a 50cc moped to do? Its not impossible to ride double on a moped but its not super fast and probably not good for long distances. And some states its technically illegal to ride double on a moped.

Both

No, I am thinking of mopeds.

To specify: I'm not so much concerned with the bike/moped slowing down, especially because I want something small. My concern is whether or not I could find a moped that could comfortably fit two passengers without doing any damage to the moped.

It looks like I'll be going the route of a small motorcycle, anyway. But the simplicity of a moped was really appealing.

A Vespa Grande, Puch Magnum, General 5-star, or most any other top-tank will seat 2 comfortably.

plz give me the c90

Mopeds are great if you are going local. see if your girl wants to learn to ride and both of you can have lots of fun. Mopeds are built for one person. you will need a second ped for your girl. Long distance you need something bigger. 5 gears etc. 125 cc 250 cc the bigger the more comfort.

apparently I'm ridiculous

ha, no offense.

magnums hurt to carry two people. the front person has to sit almost on the tank which is bad for your groin. im waiting on a monza seat for my magnum and hopefully it will make it easier to fit two people.

basically.

basically all your romantic ideas of riding doube are destroyed on a moped unless you tune it to carry 2 but then it wont be able to make that trip cause you souped it up so much its gonna blow up eventually...get a small motorcycle for that

For what your needs seem to be get a small motorcycle, take the test it is easy if you don't know how to ride take a course. You may still consider a moped for in town riding. Very few mopeds are suitable for two up riding, a nice moby 50v can do this if you are light, another direction you may consider is a large scooter like an elite 250 or a Helix 250. Best of luck with your choice!

basically all your romantic ideas of riding doube are destroyed on a moped unless you tune it to carry 2 but then it wont be able to make that trip cause you souped it up so much its gonna blow up eventually…get a small motorcycle for that

I proved that at BroBQ, my moby's motor handled doubles very well (VERY WELL!) but the suspension was not too thrilled about the added weight and I eventually blew the head gasket.

A small motorcycle will suite you well where as a moped will not.

no groms no blasters /

you'll never get to the halo benders show on time if you try to ride 60 miles doubles on a moped.

i call bull on this whole thread.

you can carty 2 peeps on a ped w/o problems, it just need to be set up to do so.

get a small motorcycle if your looking fro more passing power and general rideability

if you want simpler and chaeper get a moped

please if you do ride doubles make sure your brakes arent shot!

You will also need the flux capacitor mod if you are going to go to a Halo Benders show.

« Go to Topic — end of thread