helmet pics from fiery crash

I don't want to start one of those half v.s full face v.s no helmet arguments, just want to show where all the damage would have occured if I wasn't wearing a full face.

this one would have torn up the left side of my jaw.

this one looks as if it would take out my right eye and probably nose. If you have moped that goes faster than 15mph, you should probably get a good helmet.

Mike

Re: helmet pics from fiery crash

full face ftw after i was hit last year and totalled, and my half face flew off

also you guys rocking all those vintage helmets, most of them are complete trash esp the full face ones.

depends on where you bought it, and if it was used or not.

i agree, though, a lot of the vintage helms you see kids in are probably not very safe. i'd rather take my chances with a vintage iffy full face over an open face, though.

I.R.E. Mike Pee /

Well, I wear my full face every ride now, especially with my newly kitted magnum. It's from 1988, clearly wasn't used when I got it for $25. Thing was basically brand new. So I'm not really worried about it being bad for an accident. I just don't want to, or really have the cash to blow on a brand new fancy helmet.

I'm looking for a good but inexpensive full face for my girlfriend though...anyone got suggestions/links?

the Z1R Strike, if you can find one, is about $50 and got excellent marks for low energy transfer to the wearer's head in an accident. Check your local cycle shops, the online ones are mostly gone.

im really into HJC... gold standard of cheap helmets

HJC helmets on ebay, not too expensive decent helmets. go to a motorcycle store and have her try some on first so you know what size is right.

GMax 68S Full - 110 shipped, light and perfectly vented!

mike, time for a new helmet!

***Vanilla Thunder*** /

I.R.E. Mike Pee /

You really think a helmet that sat in a helmet bag since 1988 is bad?

And yeah, I had her try some on at a cycle shop this weekend, so we just need a cheap place to get one. Shit is expensive at cycle shops... I'll search for those. Thanks for the suggestions dudes.

***Vanilla Thunder*** /

I.R.E. Mike Pee /

Oh, and where do you guys find these helmet reviews? There a good site for them?

I use

http://www.webbikeworld.com

...and then cross reference their picks with opinions of other riders. Even better when I hear about the aftermath of someone wearing that helmet, just to be sure it protects. Not quite scientific or objective, but it's research nonetheless.

I was happily suprised to see how many people were wearing ful face helmets at brobq this weekend. I figured I would be one of the only nerds rocking a helmet all weekend, let alone a full face, but the majority of the people were. Well done.

Helmets are something I have no problem throwing away my hard earned money on.

do you really listen to your ipod while riding? that is probably one of the most dangerous things ever.

Hey Mike, glad to see you're OK, what brand is your helmet? Is there one that you would recommend?

mine was the hjc CL-SP. since i wont be using it again i'll take it apart and see what the foam looks like and take some pics. I would definately buy the same helmet again, i couldn't have asked it to do any more than it did.

mike

According to the instructors at the Motorcycle Safety Foundation's Basic Rider Course, if your helmet has ever taken a hard knock (like a fall from a height of 3 feet or more) it is compromised and should be replaced.

They say that helmets are designed to take only one hard bump - much like the air bag in your car - after that, their protective capacity is drastically reduced.

yes, that's the same thing i've heard. thats why its not going back on my face

mike

Almost all of peddy cash rocks a full face...

We have all been riding peds long enough not to be stupid...

are those websites that sell new "vintage" styled looking helmets trustworthy in terms of safety? i can imagine getting a true vintage helmet on ebay is not the safest thing but they do look neat. someone suggest some sites

You guys that try on helmets at shops and then buy them online, you ever just ask for a discount at the shop your at?

i hate when people do this. id rather give an infomed cust a deal then have him just waste my time.

I.R.E. Mike Pee /

aggroton, the shops I've been at just have them all out for anyone to try on. So I've never bugged any shop people when I've done it.

I agree though, that supporting a local business is better than sending my money who-knows-where. But they're too damn expensive sometimes.

you can always ask for a discount. A lot of shops would rather sell

at a lower price than not sell at all.

mike

mijunk i got my full face on ebay. i think from a company called moto batteries. i saw the same one the other day for like 175 at a shop, and i only paid 65 shipped.

Wait wait wait...there are people who wear vintage HELMETS???

That blew my mind when I just read that.

When your vintage moped breaks down, at least you can walk it home...your head, not so much.

Although this from a girl who doesn't wear a full face helmet...but at least it's new and "meets or exceeds DOT requirements", as they say.

Edward Richardson /

You mean my Arthur Fulmer Honda "Spirit of 76" Helmet isn't safe? Bummer Man.

Most of the Ghost Riders wear a HJC CL-15. For the price it is the best looking (very plain comes in full white or black), and most comfrotable helmet you can buy that is still a good helmet (Snell, easy replaceable visor, good vents)