Re: Derestricting Honda Sky

JunkyardDog /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Ah, it's a scooter. I have a Honda Metropolitan. The only restrictor it has, if thats what you want to call it, is a plate between the carburetor and manifold. I removed mine, and gained 3-4 mph in top speed, but lost a lot of low end acceleration, so I put it back. The top speed of the Met can be increased in several ways, an aftermarket variator, a less restrictive air filter, a less restrictive exhaust, and a new CDI. The stock CDI limits engine speed to 8000 rpm, you can get an aftermarket CDI that removes that restriction. The cylinder is cast as part of the crankcase, but is fairly thick, it can be safely bored out to about 60cc, and you will need a new piston and rings. It will also require a larger carb to get the most out of it. In the U.S., all that will cost you about $1200, and gain you about 10 mph in top speed (from 40 mph to 50 mph), there will be no noticable effect on acceleration, but the life of the engine will be about half that of a stock engine. Thats for a Honda Met 50cc, I don't know if the Sky has a similar engine/drivetrain or not. I do like it's big wheels though. Peace, Jerry.

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account