How to build a hybrid moped

Hi, looking for ideas on how to build a cheap hybrid moped. Thinking about adding an electric motor system onto a Solex type moped, or maybe onto a AMF Roadmaster. I don't want to use a regular bicycle for anything because I don't think the frame and wheels would hold up. Any other good ideas? Just making conversation. Thanks guys, George

Re: How to build a hybrid moped

they are already hybrid meaning 2 types of power. 1 pedals, 2 engine. making an electric,engine moped could be done but A it would not help the environment B a just electric would be simpler and just as powerful and faster or = speed

Thanks for responding Zeke. I'm sure a simple electric bike would be simpler, but mileage is my objective. I was thinking that if I could build a gas/electric hybrid I could ride on the electric motor until it goes down and then simply switch to the gas engine...George

sounds like a good idea just a bit complex to get 2 different power sources on to one wheel and switch on and off

http://www.evalbum.com/

Pictures and discussion on electric conversion of vehicles including small bikes and mopeds but I think these are all only electric vehicles. Problem is batteries are big and heavy and there isn't alot of places to stow them on a moped.

No no, I was thinking something like maybe a Solex that has the engine in the front tire, and putting an electric motor system with the direct drive roller thing on the back tire. Something like that maybe.

How I would do it is use a normal style moped, and have the electric motor drive the same chain as the gas engine. Then be able to switch between driving the electric motor while the gas engine idles or is off, and having the gas engine do the work while using the back EMF off the motor (now working like a generator) to recharge the batteries.

couldnt you run the electric engine and just have the gas engine power a small generator to recharge the batteries? that way you dont have to worry about making two engines work on one drive train. just a thought.

i would use a clutch with a sprocket and a chain to your back tire because it is A easier b u can change your gearing C it will work if your back tire is wet

Now THAT sounds very interesting

shit, my internet was too slow. you just said that. fucking internet.

Hi Davey, if it was set up like that you would either have to have more than one battery or wait till the battery charges every time I think. I'm not very smart at this stuff.

or you could drop this fucking idea and just ride a regular fucking moped

Dude calm down, I just was knocking the idea around. I'm always thinking about stuff like this, and now I'm thinking your a DICKHEAD.

You know...no one makes read this stuff.

Damn son.

i like the generator idea. it would be interesting to see how feasible it would be to run a 50cc gas motor into generator that charges a battery and runs an electric motor on a bike. I wonder if gas economy would go up? or if not performance to gas economy might go up.

also bicycle frames are stronger than moped frames, especially solex frames... fyi

hybrid would be cool

like if the moped started in the electric and didnt kick into the gas till you passed like 15 mph

There is already a Solex hybrid bike. It is called the Mopelex and it was the first hydrid moped. They may be available here one day. You can see and read about it here on the company's website:

http://www.blacknroll.com/mopelex_ANG.htm

The electric motor is in the rear hub.

That's awesome. I've always thought a little electric motor to provide torque would be awesome.

Mopeds are already hybrids.

I always thought it would be cool too hook up some sort of solar array onto like a luggage rack and use that to recharge your batteries for an electric helper motor. If I were to make a gas electric hybrid moped, I would keep the gas power train intact, and hook up some sort of electric style roller motor to the front wheel, which I would have geared super low and use it only for takes from stand stills, as it seems thats where a lot of gas gets used up in the city anyway, batteries in ammo cans, saddle bag style, solar array above it?

"Mopeds are already hybrids."

so true

goes to show just how that lable means shit, in the "green" scope

Electric motors and generators are pretty efficient, batteries slightly less. So if you want to use the gas engine as a generator:

90% generator efficiency

90% electric motor efficiency

80% battery storage efficiency

So 0.90.90.8 = 64.8% efficiency

You could improve the engine efficiency over normal use by keeping it in its powerband, but even so a 65% conversion efficiency will suck up the possible benefits. I would use the same method as hybrid cars, high torque electric motors for low speed and then gas kick in after 10 to 15 mph.

Yeah, I want a nuclear reactor on my moped. Or at least a warp core.

the hub thing reminds me. You can buy electric hub kits off ebay/the intarwebs for bicycles. They charge when you peddle a bike. I bet you can adapt it so it charges when you run the motor and then flip back and forth between electric and gas power as needed. Would take some serious mods of the back wheel, sprocket etc.

there are self contained front wheel electric hub motor kits available for bicycles. the trick would be finding one small enough for a moped, or adapting the moped to a large front wheel. i think it would be nice if the electric motor were completely separate and independent of the gas motor- and putting it on the front wheel would do that.

there are also 29cc 2 cycle front wheel kits available for bikes, with an intergral gas tank. anyone for a dual engine moped (of a completely different species)?

I would put a generator on the tire, so that when the engine is disengaged, the generator is engaged. Put an electric motor attached to a gear on the rear tire. Turn off the motor going downhill using a switch that opens when it is tipped in a certain direction (sorry, I don't know what to call it). The generator collects energy otherwise turned into heat and friction. Use that energy to assist yourself up hills and you will save quite a bit of gas.

At least thats what some hybrid cars do.

How to build a hybrid moped

I've found some water for fuel sites and am looking to spend the 50.00 it takes to order the plans. What it does is converts water to Brown's gas and boosts your fuel economy. People claim that it works on 4 strokes and diesel engines, but due to the oil and fuel mix of a 2 stroke, I don't know if it'd be plausible for a moped or similar vehicle.

Thanks for the ideas so far guys. This is interesting stuff. From what I have heard here so far, I think I would like to get an old front wheel drive Solex type bike and replace the rear wheel with one of those electric bicycle hub wheels that recharges while pedaling, and rig it some way to recharge itself using the gas engine somehow when it is in use. Does this sound possible?

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account