Re: How to build a hybrid moped

I never understood the purpose of a hybrid gas/electric Solex. They already get ridiculously good gas mileage, and you can use the pedals to get going. But then, I just plain have a problem with electric vehicles of any kind. I'm an internal combustion kind of guy. Now a hydrogen powered Solex............. Peace, Jerry.

I already have a gas powered bicycle, with the roller drive engine mounted over the back wheel. An electric front hub motor could be used with this, and there is room on the rear motor mount to attach 2 batteries. But it is already very heavy, and an electric motor, generator, and batteries would probably make it weigh 150 pounds. I built this out of an early '90s Trek cromoly steel rigid mountain bike frame, with Araya wheels. This thing is a tank, much stronger than a Solex. I have no doubt that the frame and wheels could handle the weight, but it already tops out at 20 mph, and that would make it even slower. I love my Solex, but you do have to be careful about hitting bumps and potholes. Peace, Jerry.

The electric motor is very handy for older or weaker people to help start the gas motor. The total range of the bike is increased also. And in stop-and-go city traffic, the electric motor is better.

ok here's how you figure out (simply) the transmission set-up for this hybrid idea, i you have a clutch system on a moped engine already, if you use one like the pulley on a motobecane you can switch it so it's not even engaged.

But instead of driving the rear wheel directly, it would go to a jackshaft, which the electric motor is also chained to, then a main sprocket to the rear wheel, if you get a decent electric motor set-up you can use the electric motor to re-charge the batteries while driving the ped using the gas engine, re-caliming some of the loss due to friction and other laws of physics, untill you can get somewhere to re-charge the batteries fully. basically you'd need 2 throttle set-ups one for the gas engine and one for the electric motor like a pentomiter (spellcheck has failed on this one, think dimmer switch) the other drawback is that you'll have to keep the electrics for the electric motor totally seperate and shielded from the regular moped electrics (think huge power spike, blown bulbs are the least of your worries)

the hybrid, other than the fact that by it's nature a moped IS a hybrid, this idea has been kicked around on this forum multitudes of times, use the search function you'll find lots.

Thanks Darius

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account