first moped - wtf!

i've just acquired a derbi american variant. thats about the extent of my knowledge on mopeds except this thing is a bitch to tune up and get into running condition without the cranks and pedals!! anyone have any for sale let me know. any other info (and i mean anything, is this a decent 'ped, is it a hunk of shit, etc) fire at will...

Re: first moped - wtf!

Jake Shaughnessy /

its a derbi and they rule. never get rid of it

i spent the afternoon pushing it up the hill and trying to pop start it to no avail... cleaned the carb, coolest and smallest flat slide carb ive ever seen.

now are the really good ones or are you biased. id understand if you were cause im a triumph rider through and through.

Hey man, if you ever feel like coming down to saint louis, there's a group of guys that hang out and get things running. We go for weekly rides and get together a few times a week.

www.mopedstl.com

if you have any questions about anything ask there.

Also, I would buy your variator off of you.

No, dude, I was going to say "what a piece of shit, sell it to me" and we all know that's code for "keep it, make it awesome"

Do you have spark? Check the points. I just went through this with my garelli.

There is a Derbi moped that is known to be one of the fastest stock mopeds made. Iam not sure if it is your model or not.

Jake Shaughnessy /

its a great ped. People who have them never wanna give them up

im in harvester. i work at donelson cycles on the rock road so im familiar with the area.

thats whats on my agenda next and does anyone have or no where to get a wiring diagram? not that it would be much of one but when im resoring a bike i like to get the electronics back to square one.

and pedals and cranks, where do i get this stuff?

clean this check that clean that make sure this is right make sure that is right

basically all in here

http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Fred%27s_Guide

and yes those are spose to be fast but it is 2 stroke so probably a bit finky if you r used to 4 strokes

cool, thanks for the info. im going there just as soon as i post a pic

got my pic posted. here it is

1216006108_100_0141.jpg

Jake Shaughnessy /

thats a older variant. I think the variant sport is the faster one, but you still have a verry nice ped there. Never sell it

yup should be fast well ok not as fast as the bike behind it but still a good 35 mph

what spark plug works for it? it has a NGK b7hs in it right now and the way my luck goes this is probably not the right one...

Use any puch or honda moped cranks & pedals for sure or just about any off any 70's moped or bike.

thanks for the info

umm as far as spark plugs go if it fits gives u spark and doesn't leak air its right if it doesn't give spark and its an old one replace it if u still don't have spark check your wiring if there's no obvious cuts or any thing check your condenser (now i know nothing ask some one else what it is) also u need 3 things for a moped to run fuel,compression and spark which one r u missing ?

I.R.E. Mike Pee /

I was just at Donalson's on Saturday getting stuff for a honda express. Come to the city and we'll get you running.

Also, there are three mopeds in the museum at Donalson's...how do we liberate them? There's a moto guzzi robin, a weird Avanti-3 trike I've never seen or heard of before, and some other step-thru. I was awesomely impressed that there were mopeds in the motorcycle museum. But how can we ride them? haha

You should sell it to me!!!!!!!!!

anyone with cranks and pedals they would part with? or know where i could find some in the st louis mo area?

Have heard nothing but good re derbis

I have pedals and I am at MPFD everyweek, follow what mike says and come. Though I dont know whats happenong this weekwnd since we will be juat getting back from KC. As for crank arms, we should have some lying around the shop.

if not 70s crank arms should do.

I run an NGK B5HS spark. Advanced Auto Parts can order them in for 2 bucks a pop, but supposedly O'Reily's keeps them stocked.

Come to fix it day!!!

Tom.

tom what is mpfd and when and where is fix it day... please tell me its a sunday.

Derbi is the only moped where I have ever had to back off of the throttle climbing a hill. I've found that the standard crank arms fit the shaft but they don't all clear the bulky side covers (yours are missing though).If you cant find any that clear everything I've got some Kamasura ones that will but try everything else first because the chrome finish on these is terrible. Derbis are a pain to start but even with pedals you'll end up push starting it.

im ok with bad chrome. sandblast and paint sounds like a viable cure.

how could i optain these Kamasura's ?

thats a 84-ish variant. with the pyramid reed engine. b7hs is the correct plug no worries.

its a very nice bike. the pedal crank arms are kinda specific and so are the cotter pins. you would probably have better luck just walking it to start it up. pedals wouldnt help much.

actually, there was one in the Buy/Sell not to long ago. If you can get one cheap they're not half bad once you replace the junk controls with Magura ones. I'd try to get one for under $100, I paid $39 for mine a year ago but it was pretty much a pile of rust then. I wish I had before pics. this guy has one buy the bikes he wants in trade for it are all a little bit nicer though.

http://mopedriders.com/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=57 you could always use this too

nice bike btw. this dude showed up to the lancaster ride yesterday with one like that. it has no pedals either. his was running though. he only had to take like to steps to push start it i believe.

on that particular bike the controls (at least the brake levers) are integrated into the handlebars which means no control swaps. the handlebars also directly bolt to the forks which means no handlebar swaps.

sorry.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account