Ok, figured it out for real this time.

I looked in my exhaust port to get a view of the piston and I have NO rings at all. I was wondering why it was slow so that will explain it. Im surprised i got to 20 without 'em well good thing is I got rings in the mail. No my question is when you put in rings is there anything special i should do or take into consideration? also do i have to use sealant on my engine or can i just put the new head gasket in and close it up?

Re: Ok, figured it out for real this time.

Use some thick oil as assembly lubricant to coat the cylinder walls and piston. Put the cylinder on slowly as to not break any of the rings. No force at all should be used in doing this, Once the piston rings line up where they should be, it will slide right on.You should make sure the cylinder base gasket is in good shape to reuse, if not you need to replace the cylinder base gasket.

Make sure you line up the opening in the rings with notch and make sure the rings are right side up in regard to the notch. Put some two stroke oil on the rings and piston. Compress the rings as much as you can and hold the piston straight as you slide the bottom of the head on. For putting the rings on the piston a ring tool would help. Generally, be careful about straining the rings because they are brittle.

Leon Swarmer /

most peds have a pin in the piston ring groove that will lock the rings in Place (you didn't mention your brand/model)

Make sure the gap in the rings go against that pin.

Don't overtorque the head bolts.

sounds like good tips to me its a yahama towny mj50 same engine as the qt50

Go to an auto parts store and get engine assembly lube this way tour assured thet the rings will be lubed sufficiently on start up.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account