Re: Help with my moped selection...

Timmbo /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

You wanna new moped? Can you afford $1700 at the most? You can get a TOMOS with pedals or without that includes a 4 month, 4,ooo mile warranty for all parts and labor. My tomos guy took good care of me and as the USA Tomos in located in S.C. turnaround on parts is very minimal. I'd suggest you get a Tomos. They're powerful and good looking. Of course, as the previous respondent mentioned, you're not going to find a 4-stroke moped. 2-strokes have quicker acceleration, they are very simple in their mechanical operation (less problems) and you don't need the liquid cooling that some 4-strokes offer if you get a good 2-stroke (Tomos). Air coolin gwill suffice unless you plan on spending all of your time sitting at stoplights in 90 degree weather. The lesser Tomos models have to be gas and oil mixed ahead of time , so you just can't go to a gas station and fill up. The mid to upper level models have a separate oil reservoir that automatically feeds into the gas for a mixture. I have a 2007 Tomos Streetmate ($1650) and it certainly catches eyes. The faux gas tank in fron tof th erider is actually a storage compartment where I put my helmet when I feel like living dangerously. No other Tomos and few mopeds have a dry storage area. There are a few quirks when you first buy it, but people over-dramatize the problems. It involves a little wd-40 and watching the color of your exhaust. No biggie. Let me know what you decide to do. PS -- These fanatics on here would have you fixing up a 1970's model; pass on that - too many headaches and no warranty. Cheers, Timm.

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account