Re: i just bought my dream moped

where'd you find these white walls. i may be willing to pay ridiculous amounts of cash for them if theyll fit...

Bruce Edwards /

I'd smooth out the shape of the seat making it less "boxy" and reducing it's height. I'd also take out those wierd bumps in the fenders and flare tem out a tad bit. Also, I'd have the white "mud flaps" flared under and follow the lines of the tire.

Subtle changes to a great start. Modern updates that stay true to a killer classic style.

The swooping sheet metal on that has a real elegant look to it. That could be a museum piece one day.

thanks andrew. i actually thought of asking you about the trailer, but i had an suv to use, and it actually fit in quite nicely.

SO MANY people stopped to ask me about this while i had it outside for like, a half hour cleaning it. at one point a police truck stopped and the cop asked me all about it from the window. he said he thought it was really cool, but i assume he was just checking to see if it was stolen.

Looks like this one I found searching Craigslist today. http://spokane.craigslist.org/mcy/703979083.html

Too bad it's already gone. Someone got a steal. Sweet ped though man. Very sexy.

that is fucking gorgeous. i think if i were to actually find one of those i would have to change my pants. in a good way.

i think sava makes white walls i may be wrong. beautiful find man props.

first things first. take off those stupid looking body panels. sand the 90 year old original paint off (trust me its due for a paintjob) then paint it something racy looking. put a water cooled engine, with a wild pipe and hutchinson tires on some ballin rims, and get rid of those stupid brakes and put performance disc brakes on bro this is the 21st century son!

Jay M's ballinest moby type thing from the 1950's

jk once agian good find youll know what to do to it

***Vanilla Thunder*** /

no, you just bought MY dream moped.

sweet tits on fire thats a sweet moby.

that almost makes me like motobecanes!

That is one very pretty bike. Congratulations!

i just bought my dream moped

kim jensen /

That's a beaut!

I like your bio - especially the "torture myself trying to make my clown bikes go faster."

I know the feeling!

kbj

thats awesome,

your prob. gonna keep it as original as possible, and thats the rt id take.

find a nicer intake plus a dellorto, get another engine cover, source the tires you want, then go thru the whole moby engine,mounts, belt, clutch, cables, brakes, and clean out that age old exhaust.

im so pumped to see this hit the streets, but you should do this jew some justice.

seeya wensday?~SABAT!

yeah sabat, youre on the right track. i was originally going to try to get it up and running fast (i think i could get it to start today), but i think im going to take the opposite tac - vinegar in the gas tank, tear down the engine, exhaust, overhaul the wheel bearings - go over everything with a fine-toothed comb. might as well do it now, before i've gotten excited about riding it.

Take your time with her...she deserves a pamperin' lol - and I would definitely keep every inch as stock as possible including no repainting...keeps the value of the bike up, and when you're dealing with a 60's vintage, that's when value actually starts to matter! Even ratty original paint on a vintage Vespa is more desirable in some cases than a repaint.

Satoch said "I’d also take out those wierd bumps in the fenders ..." [sic].

Those weird bumps in the fenders were made by people who knew how to work with sheet metal. The fenders without the pressed design elements wouldn't be nearly as strong; to make a thin metal form stable, you need to add reinforcing folds.

Now, I'll grant that there are Motobecanes out there that have skirted fenders without any pressed steel patterns, but that's no reason to discard the advantageous design choices made by the people who built this very nice machine.

jay if you need help getting rust out of the tank, I sourced a motorcycle shop that sells kreem. you have the options of doing just the first step or going on and sealing it. but muriatic acid should be more potent than vinegar

well the thing is, the rust is really amazingly minor. its mostly just surface stuff, and not big giant flakes or anything. plus, i dont want to risk eating through the tank. i could probably just put a filter on and run it as is, but i feel like i might as well do a low-impact vinegar cleaning since i have the time.

i just bought my dream moped

Congrats. Looks great. I picked up my dream moped a couple of years ago. Mine doesn't runt hat well though. Someday it will get the full treatment.

OH THAT IS SO AWESOME LOOKING! the semi-top tank is so sweet!

wayne brady would choke a bitch for those whitewalls. im myself am am very close to paying $100+ to import 18" whitewalls from france.

1977 mopeds has whitewalls... dont they?

only in 16". 17 inch whitewalls dont exist in the US, and mine actually has 18" tires.

Jay, you are a lucky crafty bitch. That thing is hotter than fresh mcdonalds french fries.

HA, everybody and they're mom has a Puch Limited Edition that was out in the weather ever since it was made.

DUDE, jay, of course you know how I feel, sweetest find ever. if anything water cooled comes close to that bike Im going to slice my dick off. Cant wait to come visit and try it out!

Try some phosophoric acid in that tank dude. Get it at home depot it comes in a bottle called easy prep n etch, its by the paint . If you get a 1/4 gallon, mix it with 3/4 of a gallon of water and pour it in there.

Faster and way better then vinegar.

WAY less dramatic then muriatic acid.

Dont put Kreem in there please!

how long do you leave it in for, andrew? the thing with the vinegar is that i can do it indoors without worrying about dying in my sleep.

Have you drawn up your will yet?

I have a suggestion.... you should bequest that upon you exit from this mortal coil your ownership of this beauty should be transferred to the Boston branch of MA at which point I will unilaterally declare myself official custodian of all property donated to the kHz!

This moped has always been to me the embodiment of timeless elegance and style.... so who is better qualified than I to assume the stewardship over the continued care it deserves in perpetuity!

Please don`t ruin that bike with custom paint, chopped fenders or any other hack jobs. That bike is a classic and should remain unmolested and original as possible.

There are plenty of junk mopeds out there to goon up ! Classic bikes like that are too rare and beautiful to destroy.

Ike

dont worry. except for maybe a dellorto and a new clutch bell, this moped is going to remain 100% stock.

i personally am a fan of the leg guards. yippee! pretty moped!

update:

it starts. even with the old plug, an uncleaned muffler, old unadjusted cables, and everything else. it doesnt run for long, but it starts.

i seemed to hear a bit of a clanging noise coming from down under (maybe the variator), but it was running for such a short time that i couldnt tell. the main point is - it starts.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account