Hat trick

Dude, why'd you break your moped? And your friends moped? And then your friends other moped?

Thats right. At the Atl ride tonight I first sheared my Grande's TOP crank, then seized the Garelli SS that Davey let me ride, then soft-seized Davey's Motobecane while riding it to the bar while he took the SS back. This was all within the space of maybe 30 minutes. Probably a new record...of shame.

The Moby is fine. The other two bikes, not so much. I'm really tired and going to bed, might post a pic of the crank later.

Re: Hat trick

last year, at OUR rally, one of my gang mates hard seized three Puchs, the first day. Serious. It was amazing. ly bad.

I just sheared my hobbitses crank, i feel 1/3 your pain

you jerk.

Sorry for the crappy picture....dont have my digital camera right now.

I am anxious to hear what actually took place inside Davey's Garelli when he opens it up...post it here, Davey!

Wow, that is lame ass. Hate I missed another get together down there. A couple of us are trying to put something together in Knoxville here pretty soon.

§ćŗάτçλmªřċ • /

dude, i thought swarm and destroy was more figurative than literal... my bad...

i'm sure you'll get the nacho grande purring again in no time, though.

~marc

Viva el Grande. Back on the stock cyl/crank, another crank is on the way from Treats.

Patrick, you let me know. Anytime you wanna ride the 'Noog, we can do that too.

i'm still dreading opening the garelli up, but tonight i will get nice and drunk and tear it down. i will definitely post some pics for you james. i know that it isnt anywhere near what you did to that poor grande.

some one should call social services on you for the way you treat these bikes. it wont be me though, i thought it was funny as hell.

I'm thinking I need to put together a weekender rally in Chattanooga. I'm like halfway in between Atl and K-town and Nashville, so we could all meet up maybe and ride. Any interest?

i'd be down. i'll kidnap emily and colin and we'll do it. also, i'm drunk. time to do some wrenching

§ćŗάτçλmªřċ • /

weekends work for me, definately.

~marc

so this is weird.

the cylinder is not scored at all. the piston and rings seem totally fine, although i am going to put new rings anyway. bottom end is smooth and quiet as hell. i dont know what you did, but i can seem to find anything wrong at all. ideas?

Any soft-seize scuffing on the piston skirt?

a little.

i just got done making new gaskets, put the whole thing back together and it's running like a champ. no noises, still not much low end, but we knew that. top speed is a-okay. weird.

you need to learn how to break a moped.

man, and I thought I had put that thing to bed for at least a week or so. Well, secretly glad to hear it's ok. I'll let you know about the Chatt-town ride...probly plan it for sometime in late Aug/early Sept unless anyone has some objections.

sounds awesome. i'm gone basically the first two weeks of august, so after that should be fine.

It's oppressively hot that time of year, but I think everyone is from the area and should be used to it.

toe fur threadkiller /

if you plan that chatt-ride for a weekend when there are no other rallies, i'll probably come.

Oi yeah! I will let you all know.

topher, arent you coming down south sometime soon anyhow?

Alright, I ran this by one of the guys at work who used to race moto x, motogp, superbike, and everything else except enduro and supermoto, and ran a dealership for a while. Between looking at the picture of my two-piece adjustable crank and handling the drive-side bearing I brought in, he is completely sure that this was simply a poor-quality crank, probly a void or inclusion in the forging process. NOT MY FAULT!!! YAY!

dont get too excited. everything is technically your fault. thats how i see it.

i cant wait for that thing to be up and running again. did you order another top crank? what are you putting in there?

I did not order another TOP crank, I order an actual Vespa 10mm crank w/ needle bearings from Zippy. I dont think a stock vespa part has ever failed me, so we'll see how it holds up.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account