Bratwurst vs Hotdogs, whats up?

Hotdogs are the ultimate grillable food. They're tasty and cheap, and an awesome shape.

Bratwurst on the other hand, a little pricier than dogs but a slightly different shape (sometimes offensive). With this in mind, bratwurst does offer the option of "beer battering" and other flavor infusion techniques.

Your thoughts?

Re: Bratwurst vs Hotdogs, whats up?

my friends and i usually pick up those apple stuffed chicken sausages and eat them in place of regular hot dogs. they are really inexpensive if you get them from Costco. Otherwise they are a total ripoff. And Super Tasty on the grill.

I might have to look into that.

It may sound weird but raw (cooked but ungrilled) hotdogs are UNBELIEVABLE dipped in peanut butter.

1215764279_bratwurst.jpg

Both are good. I mean who doesn't like tube shaped meats. :P

this is a little ot, but i was also thinking about playing with the idea of putting bacon into hamburgers. like dicing bacon up into bits and then incorporating it into the hamburger patties before grilling them. I dont know how well they'd hold on the grill though.

lol. i think of weird things when i get hungry.

the colon saw

i came up with this on memorial day 2000. quite possibly the happiest day of my life. heres why:

soak a bratwurst in beer for at least two hours (in pbr only! keep it classy), wrap it in thick cut bacon, deep fry it. then put it on a hoagie roll with a shit load of cheese and cover it in cole slaw.

your taste buds will thank you for it.

and THAT my friend is the most champion idea i've haerd in a LONG time.

I actually work in a deli so when it comes to starchy mayonnaise-based foods that make frequent appearances at open houses and BBQ's, i kinda know my shit (and i'm totally not proud at all).

The question is: Big Boy's Coleslaw or KFC's Cole Slaw?

...let's hear some more?

i like to boil my bratwursts in a mixture of beer, butter and onions, then I spread honey with crushed garlic all over them and throw them on the grill.

but I'd still take a chicago-style hotdog over that.

Chicago style dog, cheese, mustard, onion, dill relish.

Or my preference: brat, stabbed a few times with a fork and soaked in Guinness for at least 24 hours til it starts turning purple. Grill it up, add spicy mustard and a generous amount of kraut (the sweet kind, with caraway seeds). Delicious.

Zachary Evans, Destroyer of Worlds /

...More things should be bacon infused...

Some of the best sausages I've had came from the Corralitos Market in Watsonville, Northern Cali - so many varieties it was awesome!

I.R.E. Mike Pee /

Bacon infused vodka. Then you could have a bacontini. I think I invented the new yuppie fad.

Not as yuppie, but I prefer the ol' P-Nade:

_The question is: Big Boy

hot dogs ftw trow it in the micro wave for 45 sec cut open put cheddar in melt cheddar put a bun (optional) put ketchup on and other sauces if u like them u know now i want a hot dog o wait i can't chew :( stupid wisdom teeth got removed :(

***Vanilla Thunder*** /

LOL ED!!! your always pluggin those damn apple sausages! i was oce suspicious that you owned stock in the company but now i know, YOUR A REPRESENTATIVE!

I'm just glad you guys know what brats are. The god damn coasties that come to wisconsin for school, on top of having no common sense or idea of what work is, often ask what brat fest is, pronouncing brat like what they themselves are.

I love Hebrew Nationals! mmmmm mmmmm

that kid looks about as un-hebrew as they come.

gee, feel sorry for those that didnt have the oppurtunities to eat brats instead

although from CA originally, my dad was a badger and a packer fan, but we only had brats once a yr at an alumni bbq. they simply didnt sell them at the grocery store or at a ball game.

think of yourself as educating those coasties instead to the wonders of the midwest. they will do the same for you.

my kids will only eat brats, not hot dogs. and some things i noticed labeled as brats are juiced up hot dogs, not the real thing.

The perfect hotdog (in my opinion):

One of those red hot dogs like they got up in Maine, dressed Chicago-style (mustard, diced onion, sweet pickle relish, a dill pickle spear, tomato wedges, sport peppers, and celery salt; sans ketchup.), then put it on one of those east coast buns (the kind that soft bread on the sides and split on the top so you can toast the sides, and so the bun can stand up while holding a dressed hot dog.

I'd trade all the bratwursts in my life if just one store in my state sold those east coast hot dog buns.

***Vanilla Thunder*** /

millers colossal franks. the biggest damn hot dog youll never be able to finish

hotdogs are okay but bratwurst and those sausages with stuff in them soo good. put a little grilled onions on them.

beer-boiled brats is the way to go, don't get the already-beerified ones.. start with plain Johnsonville brats (Usingers is also accptable; oscar meyer and jimmydean are not)), poke each once with a fork and then boil them in cheap beer (i usually use one tallcan of miller highlife or milwaukee's best; PBR isnt made in milwaukee anymore), for like 5min, onion and paprika (that's how they do it in cudahy) in the boiling beer is optional.. after boiling, grill until grilled (i like em pretty black on the outside) and serve on kaiser roll with brown mustard and optional sauerkraut

damn, now i am hungry

(sheboygan, the birthplace of american bratwurst culture, is my ancestral homeland)

ps: johnsonville brats are indeed available in SF

pps: racine kringle is not

About five years ago I had couple of guys here from Poland. They accompanied a piece of machinery that needed installing at the plant. They were guests at my house for a month. They were both in their late forties.

I introduced them to a friend with a deluxe smoker and they thought they'd died and went to heaven. We went to the butcher and took possession of a gobstopping trunkload of meats, lard, and spices and made sausage in the garage. Good god it was no holds barred in the ratio of calories/fat vs flavor.

They smoked malboro reds nonstop the entire time they were here.

I got word two years ago that they had both passed away.

Too bad. I was just gettin used to using them as role models for my own excesses

***Vanilla Thunder*** /

holy kourva!

this was the best forum that I've ever read. honestly

I love me a good flint hot dog.

Kogel's vienna with ketchup, mustard, and onions on a soft bun.

Brats are awesome, too, though.

four children.

on a boat.

two biturbo's.

one proma gp.

exit.

i love racine kringle, my dad's hometown.

they started exporting it to minneapolis. perhaps as far west as they have gotten.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account