California M2 license for moped Details

20 years ago all you needed was a permit, and to be 15 &1/2 now this is the requirement: Copied from the California DMV Website:

You will need to obtain a Class M2 license if you choose to go the way of the scooter or the moped with a maximum speed limit of 30 mph.

To secure your Class M2 license simply:

Make an appointment. at your local DMV,

Submit an original DL 44 application form.

Provide a thumb print.

Have your picture taken at the DMV.

Pay the $27 application fee.

Pass a vision exam.

Pass the traffic laws and signs test.

If you are under 21, complete the California Highway Patrol (CHP) motorcycle training course and present the Certificate of Motorcycle Training (DL 389) to the DMV. You won't have to take the motorcycle driving test if you already have a current California driver license.

If you are over 21, choose between taking the CHP course and submitting the certificate of completion, or scheduling an appointment to take the driving test.

For additional information on the motorcycle classes offered by the California Highway Patrol call (877) 743-3411 or visit the California Motorcyclist Safety Program.

Re: California M2 license for moped Details

Better hurry up and get this done before they require submisstion of urin, blood, and stool samples.

Great info. It kinda sucks i missed that ONE! day of that motocycle course. Otherwise id be legit. Too legit to quit. BOOOO

J.a.m. (Justin) Creature /

California is fucked. they're trying to ruin our fun.

at least we still can cut lanes

Then you might as well get the M1 so you can ride everything.

I'm going to DMV next week to try to register my $20 Maxi that I rescued from the Goodwill. I hope everything goes well.

California M2 license for moped Details

Does anyone happen to know how much the motorcycle driving course costs. Is it worth taking it if you are a new rider. What about the driving exam? I heard it was pretty easy. Peace.

Don't know about the cost of the class, but if you are absolutely new to riding the course will be valuable. The exam is fiarly easy, mostly common sense stuff. However give the booklet a thourough read right before you take it. There is tricky wording so you have to slow down, and read them thouroughly.

The price of the class varies depending on the company that provides it, but is usually around $250.

The skills test the DMV gives doesn't appear too be all that hard, but the lines you have to stay withing are super narrow and you can't put your feet down or have your front tire go over the line anywhere along the lollipop course.

If you are under 21 the riding course is $150 and then they give you a slip so you don't have to do the riding test at the dmv. plus you can save like 5 to 10% on insurance if you have taken the course

no groms no blasters /

The DMV test also changes based on the test administrator. I got to take it twice, thanks to a little mechanical failure. (I was representing mopeds hard on that day.) The first time, the lady had me enter the circle from the lane across, and the next time, the guy had me enter the circle from the lane on the same side.

The good news is that you can pedal, so it's fucking stupid easy. The better news is that you can go to the DMV parking lot and practice after hours.

And how are you going to "might as well get an M1" if you only have a moped?

The course is something like $250 at Safetyville if you're over 21, $150 if you're under.

If you take the school you do not have to do the driving skills test at the DMV office and you will get the M1 endorsement.

If you are doing it without taking the school, the endorsement you get depends on what you take to the DMV for the skills test; under 150cc and you get the M2, over 150cc and you get the M1.

no groms no blasters /

They changed that. M2 is only for things with pedals now:

_Class M2—You may operate any motorized bicycle, bicycle with an attached motor, or a motorized scooter._

Do the skills classes have loaner motorcycles?

yes Loaner motorcycles of all sizes. When I took my class, there were old 150cc Kawasakis that looked like a slightly bigger ped. Also there were some sport bikes and enduros. They even provide riding boots and helmets if you dont have them

The MSF class has little 250cc Hondas or some such that they will let you ride.

That's what I'm sayin'- use their shit and get an M1 License.

Chicks will dig you.

i tried the test at the dmv on a rented scooter and failed (scooter was pretty janky) so im takin the saftey course next weekend.. already got the permit anyway, so instant M1, hoo-ah.

IN CALIFORNIA, DO NOT GO TO THE DMV TO REGISTER YOUR MOPED! Get to the website, download the REG form 230 and send it in with the appropriate amount of money. Your plates and registration will magically appear in about a month. See other postings for more information. Do not go to your local office. It doesn't work! They don't have the plates, they don't do enough to know anything about them.

Thanks for the heads up frankman, unfortunately for me its too late. I went to the DMV and it took over an hour at the desk. I have a feeling they didnt do it right too. I told the guy its a 17 dollar one time registration and he said their is nothing that is a one time reg. I had to spend 170 bucks! 28 dollars for the test, my sales tax and god knows what else. then he says to me," you know youre gunna be bad mouthed here now for registering your moped." like he should be upset for doing his job? whatever.

I took the class. Two days at a community college. I think it was about $180 or something. I rode their motorcycles for the test. It was a Kawasaki GZ250. Very easy to ride, even for someone like me with no prior motorcycle experience. Passed the test with room to spare. I really liked taking the class!

_wal

Robosan,

Go back and try to "undo" everything you have done. Believe it of not, there is a "consumer advocate" person at each DMV that is there to resolve problems/complaints so you don't have to deal with the regular desk person.

Ask for the "Public Inquiry" representative. This should be the consumer advocate person(normally a supervisor, I think)This used to be the secret password to get to the right person that can listen to and solve your problem. I used it about five years ago and my problem was solved magically as I waited.

There is NO sales tax due. There is no test fee or anything else for merely transferring and/or registering a traditional(with pedals) moped-just the $17 check when you send in the FORM 230.

Request to get everything "undone", if that is possible, and you will print out and send the FORM 230 to them as it should have been done in the first place! Good luck!!

isn't it $18, not $17?

#CrazyWayne™ rocks. #CrazyWayne /

Yes moped REG FORM 230 went up to $18 on June 1st 2008 i think

Robosan:

Go back to the DMV and ask to see a supervisor. Take the form REG230 with you. You can get your money back. You just have to fill out a different form to get it.

Motobee Goode /

I want to clarify something about the procedure for taking the M2 driven test. I have heard that you cannot take it on a ped. I am wondering:

1). Is that literally true? I have a hard time believing that the DMV (even considering that it is an agency fraught with retardation and inconsistencies) would require require a license to operate a vehicle, yet prohibit that class of vehicle from the testing procedure it requires to obtain the license.

2). Or......Do people _tell you not to_ use your ped because it is generally wise to keep a safe radius from the DMV when is comes to moped? For example, because the test administrator might inquire about signals, horn, speedo, hp, etc.

Thanks in advance for any clarifications.

i just took the california safety course. its $250 if you're over 21!! and it bypasses the dmv skills test, which is pretty hard actually, especially on a motorcycle!! i think the class is definitely worth it for a new rider!! it teaches you good safety tips and its fun!! its a nice feeling being legal!!

Motobee Goode /

^thanks for the response Rob. However, I am not interest in dropping that kind of scratch on that type of class. I passed the DMV tests in IL on a big fast bike when I was 18 (but stupidly failed to realize that I could transfer my M certification to CA when I moved here....ooops). I really just want to know whether I can take the DMV skills test on a ped (as opposed to having to borrow a motorcycle, scooter, etc. to take it.).

So i can take the M2 drivers test on my ped? Does my horn HAVE to work for that shit? And instead of using my janky turn signal lights can I just use hand signals?

Take the turn signals off the bike. If they are there, they have to work.

Your horn has to work also.

Is it required in CA that you have insurance?

Skills test is hard on a motorcycle but should be cake on a moped. Glory to automatic clutches at maintaining a constant VERY slow speed. With a motorcycle you have to be constantly feathering the clutch, if you start slowing down, you're probably gonna fall in, and if you speed up, you'll move outside the lines. You don't have as much control of a big heavy bike at those speeds. The key is maintaining a steady speed. I couldn't imagine it being difficult at all on a moped. Make sure you bring a ped that's legal! Personally, going to the DMV and taking a few practice tests seems like an easy way to save $250 bucks. I that's what I did.