what kid of kit is for me?

i dont want to have to bore anything out. do any drilling, dremaling or anything of that sort. i would like a 64,65,or 70cc kit tht just bolts right up? any suggestions? whos knows best for the puch maxi?

Re: what kid of kit is for me?

From what I understand the airsal is a good first kit. kpodj.com has them for a good price. Airsal makes a 60 and a couple other sizes, just so you know, kits are not as easy as you may think. I don't know your level of mechanical skill/knowledge, but its always better to do everything you can for speed and then get a kit. That way you have a better idea of how your bike works after you put on all the easy stuff, i.e. perf pipe, perf air filter, maybe gearing change, upjetting, porting, and so on. Depending on your desired speed you might be able to get there without a kit, which wont do that much for you on a stock bike.

yeah my dad has been a mechanic for 25 years so we know what were doin.

word, airsal. kpodj.com. Or check out treats hq on ebay. He seems to know what he is talking about. Also if you do a search on the tuning forum I'm sure you will get all the opinions you need.

thanks man. so if i get a kit will it bolt on? or do i have to bore shit out..

***Vanilla Thunder*** /

search function. this is covered to DEATH. you are most likely going to want to at leat case match your kit, so yes there will be some dremmeling involved. you dont have to but you should.

yeah it will bolt on, but you wil get more out of it if do some dremel work. I'm kind of talking out of my ass as I have never actually kitted a bike yet. Like I said, forum search.

okay i think the airsal that mick pointed out is the one im gonna get. i looks pretty tight.

don't take my word for it. Seriously, I don't know shit about kits, spend some time researching it.

mick, no offense. You need to stop giving out false information to people.

I am sorry but I still can't get over your expert recommendation to run my ped on 8:1 pre-mix.

I hope you understand slapping on a kit will not make you faster immediately.

You'll also need to purchase an after market pipe and carb to get the best out your kit, assuming you're ped is completely stock at the moment. On top of that, you will need to tune tune tune. Just keep that in mind as well.

okay. i know im planning on welding together a pipe from my bros pocket bike. ive seen it done before so hopefully that will work. im also gonna buy a 15mm dellorto carb.

I said for the first carb bowl full. I have heard that from several people.

bumberooooo

While you're bumberoooo'ing every 10 minutes...

why don't ya search the performance tuning forum?

ohhh fineeeeeee........ (but bumberoooooing is so funnn :P) wow i am tired.

Kids these days , lol (as I shake my head)

Lil MotoGuzzi Vert /

First carb bowl full? So you'd mix that up and add .004 gallons (or whatever a carb holds) to your tank? THEN slowly start mixing less and less? No. That makes no sense. I gotta agree with Andy on this one.

I see no reason not to be over cautious when it comes to breaking in an engine, at least for the first part, as I also know the "slow break in = slow bike" theory, but my main point is most people who know what they are talking about say 50:1 is too lean for a kitted bike.

Lil MotoGuzzi Vert /

Ok agreed. I don't run ANY of my bikes at 50:1. But where the hell did you get 8:1? There's a lot of numbers between 50 and 8. I prefer 32. I'm wearing my first kit now. The most interesting debate to me (covered already I know) is synthetic vs. non for kit break in.

yeah that debate always gets my thinking...

I just remember this one dude who was fer sher ocd and had done like mad research on the subject and wrote this exhaustive novel about how he breaks in kits and he started it with a super rich bowl in the neighborhood of 8:1. It was the most detailed and informed post I had read on the subject. All the other posters were like yeah thats a good break in procedure so I reference it. I don't know why that dude got all salty about another opinion on break in when he was asking for help on a kit. Its not like I stepped in there like "I'm the world leading expert and this is the only way to do it right."

If you can link to it, Mick, then we can all read it and see what we think.

Dunno what kind of bike you have, but get something cast iron for sure. On Vespas you wil have to grind for anything larger than 65ccs. My break-in was 8:1 for 5 minutes pedaling, no ignition, 16:1 for the first tank, 32:1 after that. 350 miles so far, no problems.

Jake Shaughnessy /

thought this was about someone gettin a kit? Your better off gettin a cheep used pipe and save up for the carb. I would be stupid to spend money on a kit and a carb and not have a good pipe. Even the best pocket bike pipes dont work that great on a moped. My friend made one for his pa50 and he really doesint like it to much. if your dad no's what hes doin y not just case match it to. You can have the motor off and back on done right in a weekend, and you would be getting more out of the kit.

On any 2 stoke.. A after market pipe it always the first. Since when we imported these thats were they slowed them down to the scary 25mph limit. So the pipe is #1 on the list to do things or buy.

« Go to Topic — end of thread