$700 dollar moped insurance?!?!?!

So I got a letter from AIG saying that my moped insurance is going from $300 a year (a little pricey but I can afford it) to $700 dollars a year because my '81 towny is considered a "classic vehicle" And we're talking basic coverage here. WTF. Has anyone else ever run into a situation like this? Any recomended courses of action? Can I fight the insurance company on this?

Re: $700 dollar moped insurance?!?!?!

$78 for my 1980 in jersey.

ummm fuck aig. Your paying 300 already. I was paying 150 for basic on a 2007 honda scooter and i live in chicago so it was higher than my friends 75 dollar a year.

Change you insurance. Your getting ripped off for something that isn't worth more than 500 bucks

aig doesn't cover mopeds. they probably think it's a motorcycle.

try geico, progressive, etc. mine's $70 something a year.

Austrian Bagel Austrian Bagel /

time for a new insurance company. my 78 is pennys compared to that. Progressive.

Yes, big ripoff. Insurance for a classic vehicle should cost less, not more.

I have my old motorcycles registered as historic vehicles in Michigan, and the combined insurance for all three bikes (70, 90, and 110cc) is a little over $100 a year, compared to $225 a year for just the 70 with a conventional registration.

So, yah, new insurance company.

Geico doesn't cover mopeds either, they will charge you like its a motorcycle.

I have four mopeds insured through Progressive for about $100 total per year.

_wal

I just shopped for insurance and the best deal I found was with https://www.dairylandcycle.com/ $200 for full coverage at california minimums and thats with an accident on my record

I don't have to pay any insurance since I'm in MA.

I guess I'm lucky.

no groms no blasters /

why not just dump comp and collision? your premium costs more than your moped.

did you try riders insurance its only like 80 here in nj

Just went with Progressive. Got California basic with uninsured/underinsured coverage for my '75 Honda CL360, Maxi, and Sprint. $218 for an entire year. So happy!!!!

dairyland is $51 a year for me on 2 mopeds. Bare Oregon minimum. And I'm older with a clean driving record.

not really I'd say my Moby is worth $600 with the high Cali prices and I've spent $400 on it. Also I'm protected for Theft and vandalism and I live in a college town so thats good to have. plus is was only $50 more a year with a $100 deductible

dude your getting fucked majorlly i pay 50 a year for each of my peds through a company called rider insuance

progressive, $150 a year for me 78 free spirit, just liability

Ben Van Zoest /

AIG lost tons of money stolen by the boss, they need to recover somhow. I canceled the f......

In a word: Foremost. it is an insurance company. ALSO, i HAVE HEARD THE name Progressive a few times. I have Geico on a car, the first moped quote was 350., which is more than the car (250. a year, and you can drive a car year round, while a moped is sort of a may to october use item where I live). I gave up on Geico after that. Foremost specializes in "toys", that is, recreational goodies. The pricing will astonish you.

AIG sucks.. I called them and they told me they don;t insure mopeds. I went to State Farm. I paid $150.00 for a full year. It will be cheaper once I move all my insurance plans to them.

no groms no blasters /

_not really I’d say my Moby is worth $600 with the high Cali prices and I’ve spent $400 on it. Also I’m protected for Theft and vandalism and I live in a college town so thats good to have. plus is was only $50 more a year with a $100 deductible_

You're paying $50 for $600 worth of coverage. Do you think the chances of someone stealing or doing $600 worth of damage to your 'ped in any given year is greater than 1/12? If so, there ya go.

progressive 3 peds for $112, maxi and 2 mobys, depending on the bike u select the price goes up or down by $30-$40

-Unholysmokers - Chad Ferguson /

I have car insurance (full coverage), renters insurance, AND moped insurance (full coverage) for $75/month with State Farm and I think the moped insurance only works out to around $5/month. You are getting ripped off HARD unless you have a terrible driving record.

thedrifter /

my parents thought insurance was a must, with liabilty and lawsuits in this day and age. If an acident happened with a moped you would be the losing party, and you can only get sued if your at fault. Id say save your $ unless you really have a good reason to get it, its not like it covers theft.

I only carry the minimal required liability in Cal. Costs me $100. per year. I would only consider carrying comp if I frequently had a passenger (just in case he gets hurt)

Steve, you can put the extra money you would spend on the comp and collision in a savings account and if your ped gets messed with, you will have the money available instantly. Insurance companies will take their sweet time getting the money to you. They will also "pro-rate" the value of any item when they have to pay a claim and a 20+ year old ped isn't worth a whole lot on paper.

-Curly

no groms no blasters /

Comprehensive covers damage to your moped not caused in a collision, such as through theft or vandalism. Liability and medical bill coverage are for people.

I don't have any mopeds insured but I do have three scooters insured with Geico for about $125 a year for all of them.

« Go to Topic — end of thread