1969 Raleigh Runabouts Ebay

shanbo5150 /

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=230267632851

Found these two 1969 Raleigh Runabouts on Ebay UK. Great price and they have sequential license plates too!

Best freight I could get was $1400.00...outta the limits of my bank balance unfortunately.

Did Raleigh mopeds ever make it over to the USA? Any MA members own one?

Re: 1969 Raleigh Runabouts Ebay

I have one

Rick

!IM000029.JPG!

o.k. try again

1215617909_im000029.jpg

Very nice...yours is in far better shape than the two on Ebay. Did you import it? Whereabouts are you locate?

I live in southern ontario, about 30 miles west of Niagara Falls .

I saw an ad in the newspaper for a moped for $250 . I called the guy and he said it was in good condition . I asked if it was seized up and he said no . When I went to look at it , sure enuff it was seized .The guy was just spinning the clutch bell .I offered him $50 , but he talked me up to $100 . I unseized it with penetrating fluid and a large C-clamp. I bought new piston rings and gaskets for it , put it back together and it fired right up .I put a speedo on it that I took off an old exersize bike and I had it up to 30mph. , but Im not too sure that its very accurate .

Rick

Ha great story. Less surprised that they made it to Canada than I would be to find one in my back yard (Los Angeles). My cousin lives 20 miles from the two on Ebay, so I could in theory have her and her husband pick them up...freight costs would still be way beyond worth it though. I'll remember the G-clamp thing for future reference.

Many Raleighs are Moby clones...

There are a few Raleigh's floating around in the states, Moped Larry even got his hands on a nice Raleigh wisp a while back. You just have to keep an eye out. For the most part the later and most common models are basically re badged Motobecanes.

my Raleigh is a 1965 and it has its original tires.

they are in really good condition for that age .

also , they are 23 X 2 in. , so I would probably have a tough time finding replacements.

Rick

Steve Williams /

they made 225 pounds each

« Go to Topic — end of thread