moped drought

So I realize gas prices went up this summer, and the weather got nice, but did everyone go moped crazy too? I was gone for the first month of summer, may - june. Before I left I picked up two nonrunning mopeds for way under $100 total. Since Ive been back though you cant find a moped in S. Wisconsin and when you do and offer under $200, sellers respond like your the biggest d-bag in the world. Seriously are non-running 30 yo mopeds selling for half a grand? Whos buying them? WTF?

OK venting complete.

To sellers out there in the world: I am not trying to be a dick, thats not my goal. If you don't like the offer I make don't respond to the email or just say so, no need for name calling. I am just looking for a moped for a friend and happen to be a poor student not accustomed to the crazy prices peds seem to be getting now..

Re: moped drought

I live north of Appleton and FIBS are sniping the stuff of CL that is close to me. I am sure they are getting your stuff too.

Yup this one said " a guy is coming up from chicago to buy it". Then made some comments about how I was grossly underestimating value.. etc etc. I cant believe people are rolling all the way up to appleton and wausau to snag these, thats like $100 just in gas.

Welcome to Earth...

$100 mopeds are so 3 years ago live in the now..

and don't ever call me a FIB again..

The moped apocolypse is NOW

buy em all up now, before people that think they are "scooters" buy em and leave em dead when they need a carb cleaning.

Zachary Evans, Destroyer of Worlds /

I can still snag one for 50-100 here and there, but it seems 200 is the going rate for a broken moped in Colorado now..

I think Derek just dropped a grand for 5 or 6 of them..

dont worry... keeping a moped running takes love... and for most people buying them its just a fad that they will soon grow out of when they realize that they have to fix their bike every week.

General Jackson /

where I was able to get peds for under $100 last year, it's already worse this year. i did get four peds for $200 from a guy, but it's cause his wife was making him clean out the carport :)

now that i'm trying to find some for my friends i'm having to drop $200 for a broken one and drive an hour and a half to go get it.

it's lame, but mopeds are becoming less of a cool qwerky thing to have and more of a necessity for anyone who's too broke to own a car andcan't ride there bicycle everywhere.

also, people are offering me a grand for my 1980 murray. it's rediculous, and yes it would be a $950 profit, but I know they won't take care of it if it breaks...

that other guy was right.

buy as many as you can, there are only so many out there...

Zachary Evans, Destroyer of Worlds /

Mark has a point.. every one of these that isn't bought by someone way into them will eventually be resold for super cheap, and slightly broken...

Yup they are getting expensive, well relatively expensive (they're still hella cheap).

Like Zack said i just dropped close to grand for 5 projects and a parts bike, and I was fine with it. I definitely didn't get a great deal but the I also didn't rip off the old guy that was selling them. Sadly I won't be making anything on them either as it seems all my friends want a Minarelli.

I know I won't be selling anything running for less then $400 from now on; mint bike are going for twice that and going as fast as I can get them running; so $200 for a project doesn't seem that out of line.

It's a good time to know about mopeds that's for sure.

Yep, just wait until they all break down and none of the yuppies will want to get their hands dirty. Cheap mopeds will abound again. It's like the rubber band theory of the universe.

Deals are still out there. Last week I just missed a Honda Pa50II for $50 kept indoors.

General Jackson /

that's the way to do it man. i consider a bike with a workable engine covered in rust for $200 worth the money, especially since they are growing in demand here in the south. the only guy that sells any used ones down here asks $800, and they have rusty tanks and don't idle!

i mean that's just heartbreaking

m6onz5a I missed that same Pa50II the guy listed it late at night and I debated about calling him for a few min and did anyway. he said that I was the second person to call and he sold it a few min after it was up at like 11 pm and seemed perplexed at how fast it sold. damn...

My mom's neighbor saw me working on my moped in the garage last night and said, "I have a friend who's husband died years ago and she's got two of those in her garage that look brand new from the 70s that have been sitting for years"

I got her number and will be going to check them out asap. Wish me luck. I hope they aren't Motobecanes! ;)

wow good thing i bought mine a year or 2 ago but then again they where both pretty bad when i bought them

Has anybody had a problem getting a new Tomos for MSRP? I got my '08 Sprint for MSRP, but as of now, the dealer does not have one new moped in stock. The Japanese "powersports" dealers are selling new $2000 Mets, Vinos, and Ruckuses for more than $1000 OVER MSRP right now, yeah, thats right, over $3000 for a $2000 scooter, and there is a long waiting list of people willing to pay it. On the other hand, Kymco is still selling everything for MSRP, and are selling everything they can get. My local scooter/Tomos dealer has over 100 scooters on order right now. I've seen a lot of Craigslist ads trying to sell new Japanese 50cc scooters for as much as $5000. For some reason, the Chinese scooters are still cheap though. Maybe they are making it up in volume, since there seems to be an endless supply of them. Peace, Jerry.

If they are Motobecanes, I want them. I have a Puch Newport 2 hp 2 spd with the high torque cylinder that I have about $800 invested in, but I bought it for $150 as a rust free non runner. The other $650 was for new parts. Peace, Jerry.

Vespas, Kymco, TNG, Buddy's and Stellas are all still being sold at MSRP... How can they hike the shit up? That's bullshit.

mSrp

The wife ordered a Buddy Pamplona a week and a half ago. The dealer said it MIGHT be delivered at the end of August.

Now today there is a writeup in the LA Times about Genuine scooters. I'm afraid that will bring out more yuppies to place orders, possibly delaying the wife's.

Yes, it is "suggested", but it gives dealers a really bad reputation when they pull crap like that. A franchised dealer is ethically obligated to sell at MSRP. They can ask whatever they want for a used bike, but new ones are supposed to be sold for the same price everwhere. All dealers pay the same price for them. What goes around comes around. Harley dealers did that for years, but now the Harley market is saturated, and dealers that used to sell way above MSRP are hurtin bad, they are actually having to advertise, and sell BELOW MSRP. I would never buy a new Honda, when there are better brands like Kymco, TGB, and Genuine still selling at MSRP. I hope that one day these brands put the Japanese companies out of business. Peace. Jerry.

Scooters started selling like crazy when gas prices hit $4 a gallon, and the scooter companies were not prepared for it, it will take them a while to catch up. I suspect the Japanese will never catch up, they will keep the supply artificially low, so they can keep the prices high. Hopefully she is getting it for MSRP. I would buy a new Stella right now, if I could afford it, but I'm stuck with an '06 Honda Met. At least I got it cheap, and it gets me around town cheap. Peace, Jerry.

Buy em all and buy em now!

It is getting pretty rediculous.

I just sold a non-running FA50 that I had worked on a little bit (re-upholstered the seat), and sold for double than what I got it for.

Get this, the guy even drove 45 minutes to get to me.

I'm glad I have what I have. I actually may end up selling my Grande at this rate if I can get the Sachs running.

I now have 5 mopeds, and one 50cc scooter, all in great condition. I'm not buying anymore, maybe, but I'm keeping what I've got. When gas reaches $6 a gallon, I'm prepared. Peace, Jerry.

According to current market prices, I have $4000.00 to $5000.00 worth of mopeds.

My last moped, a 96 Tomos Sprint, was FREE. It runs well, only the lights don't work.

Supply and demand, that's all.

Hey pat, its Tate. I'm going to pick up a bike this weekend and I don't know if I want to keep it or not, plus I have a pa50II that I would love to get rid of. It tried to kill me and now just stares at me from its corner of the garage. Seriously, 2 other people have gotten it to start in the past month, but not me. Everyone thinks its an electrical problem but I seriously think it wants me dead. peddle fell off when I was riding it, dumped my ass hard as I was standing on the peddles at the time. Rode it home bleeding with intermittent spark, we've gotten it to start since then but not run per say. Plus Randy down at scooter therapy as talking about giving me some actual tax paying employee shifts, not playing the "Impressed and Impartial customer happening to comment on how cool the frat boy who's parents are shopping for a scooter would look on the more expensive model" role, so I should have plenty of chances to "take this ratty old thing off your hands." If randy wont touch it.

P.S. I painted that targa LX flat black and it looks fresh you wouldn't believe how long I spent sanding that thing, trying to get ALL the rust off. Plus I got that G3 running and driving, its a pretty sweet bike but its running super rich and I think I need to replace the rings on it but its got this crazy design where you can't take the head off. My now ex-girlfriend had my laptop hostage but I have it back now and can do the internet thing again.

I bought my sprint 2008 the price was 1099.00 before the 7% NJ sales tax the next day the price was 1147.00 because of the shipping cost and the shop told me they ordered the last 29 shipped into the country for june.

i picked up my 80 honda express for 100 bucks. i had to drive like 3 hours to pick it up, but it was worth it for what they're going for around this area.

dont worry… keeping a moped running takes love… and for most people buying them its just a fad that they will soon grow out of when they realize that they have to fix their bike every week

thats a really valid point. Problem is the kids buying them for 6 and 700 now want 5 for em busted round here.