What should I pay for this Motobecane 50V?

I'm probably going to pick this guy up, but I have no experience with Motobecanes. I have dealt almost exclusively with Puchs before. I know this is a 50V, but I don't know what it is missing, or if there is anything I should realize before buying. Can anyone help me out in identifying any problems that can been seen from these photos? What is a good price for this? Is this a good model? Thanks!

Re: What should I pay for this Motobecane 50V?

its missing the side covers, the air box, and the plugs out of it.. buy it if it turns over!!

***Vanilla Thunder*** /

the only problem with this bike that i can see is that its not leaning on MY car.

its the 20 mph cylinder, so it will take some work to get some speed out of it. nothing too hard though. totally worth it for the right price. if it turns over buy it. mobys are fun.

Probably worth a hundo. Pedal chain tensioner looks hosed up. I wouldn't mess with the Gurtner carb, just drop a Dellorto on there. Plug looks like it's been out of the bike for a while.

It'be be nice to take off the flywheel cover and see what it looks like on the electronics side. The non-mechanical parts of the bike look pretty good.

The exhaust nut is gone too. need new pipe and crush washer too.

$100 or less would be good

Id be pretty wary if i was you regarding that if your a puch guy.

Thats a real pretty bike, but id have a real good look over it before i brought it home, and id always be thinking that its a 20mph version...

Whats the tank look like inside?

Id take that head off and peer into that cylinder before any money got exchanged, but that might be a good way to get the bike for super cheap if its all fucked up in there, then toss a dif motor on there.

its pretty, and its a 12volt ( i like that alot ) but its a fixer.

im gonna take all the shit for this comment - but dragging a motorbecane out of a shed and trying to get it going is different then a maxi..

then again id not pay all the cash for a maxi with a missing plug and some moisture in there and missing parts.

but way easier to chase down the parts on a maxi.

100 bucks? Depends on whats in that cylinder.

Good spot on the exhaust nut (he's talking about where it attaches to the engine). There is a good chance that the threads in the head are stripped, at least check that out. The bike definitely has rebuild potential, you're looking at a few hundred dollars at least though.

As someone said - Moby's are fun! and you can end up looking like this.

Cool, thanks a lot of all the info. The info plate on the bike says 30MPH and it has "A" stamped in miles, so I assumed this was the 30mph engine. How do you know it is the 20mph version? Sorry, I've never dealt with these before, so I'm still learning.

it says A, which is the 30 mph version, unless someone saw something restricted that i didnt see.

I979 A type is the 30mph version.

I just looked at my '78 - and it has a B stamp on the plate. Do you know how they were restricted in speed? Carb? Cylinder head? Cylinder? Now I'm curious.

b is the 25.

same cylinder, smaller carb.

hum a delorto on it burt and call it a 35mph version

I got mine for $50 and it was more complete. You still need what these guys above said. Need a crush gasket and new exhaust nut, but dont know if you need a whole new pipe... I think if you can find a nut you can put it on the pipe with a new circlip. Mobys can be nice with a little work. I think youre vin plate says its an A model which I thought was the fast one... (30 mph stock). But I may have it backwards, mine is a C which I thought was a 20mph stock, but mine goes 30 after I cleaned it up, still bone stock. Overall good ped, I would pay up to a little over $100 if theres no other problems. Look to see if the exhaust threading on the cylinder is all stripped out thats a common problem and can be a pain.

The exhaust nut seems to be there when I look at it, just a crappy angle on the photo maybe... seems kickstand is missing. And, chainguards as already noted. I'd give $128.99 and not a dime more.

Nice looking bike, needs a new cylinder, petcock, chains and some tires, maybe a dellorto. I wouldn't pay over $150. Hows the gas tank?

Jerry Franek /

I keep posting this file. It is confusing...

oh man, I was totally gonna post this once I got home. I love how they switched the ABC designations. Fantastic!

« Go to Topic — end of thread