My Mom Wants one of my Mopeds...

Lil MotoGuzzi Vert /

I'm SO confused right now. Outta nowhere my mom just asked me if the moped I have stashed in their basement is ready to ride... because she thinks she wants to start riding it. I told her to go get a helmet but I'm not sure what to think of all this. If you knew my mom and how accident prone she is, you would worry too. Opinions anyone? Should I be happy about this or is she ruinning "OUR" subculture (as nik put it in the vanity fair thread?)

Re: My Mom Wants one of my Mopeds...

if she gets a kick out of it and gets bitten by the bug, she might fund your hobby better...

just a thought.

My Mom Wants one of my Mopeds...

Why not, let her ride.

Lil MotoGuzzi Vert /

Word. No you're right. It is definitely not my place to STOP someone from mopedding... if knew her you would know why this is worrisome. As for the funding thing... I'd be funding HER hobby. Cause she's pretty broke. Thus wanting to start riding... she wants to save on gas.

Lil MotoGuzzi Vert /

Just to give a little backround... she's a super careless driver and she is accident prone. I guess I am just worried because I'm her kid... but any other opinions? For the record I'm for it, just worried.

get he to take a riding class first

I would be supportive, but couldn't do it. Couldn't even let my little sister ride my moped. I'm a worry wart though.

Hey,

I'm riding with my daughter (19) because my wife won't get near a moped.

-- Joe

1215482274_em_and_joe__1st_moped_ride_015.jpg

i let my father borrow my fa50 but told him he couldn't ride it out of the subdivision because it needed plates and if he did, he would get a ticket. it's the damn truth. i could have put some plates on that thing but didn't really want my father riding it on the real streets.

you can use that excuse.

Leon Swarmer /

at first I was gong to say just enjoy it.. but..hmm you're 25 and have some maturity. she's 40-50ish maybe, and a careless driver and wants You to help support her

a moped is not a good ride for a careless driver.. I think we've lost 3 riders in the last month and many crashes. A moped rider has to be eternally vigilant and even that isn't enough.

trust your feelings, can you pull up her recent accident records ( in your mind) to support your thoughts?

If there is a history of alcohol, that's a big warning flag too.

Let her read some of the posts of inujuries and deaths.

While we love peds, We know that they can be dangerous in a hurry and folks who discount that can hurt real quickly.

Leon

I rebuilt a 77 Honda Express for my mother for her birthday last year (which was today, but you know, last year -- on 7/7/7 I gave her a 77 Express for her 47th birthday).

I have NO problems with any mom who wants to ride mopeds/nopeds.

I DO agree with 50plus; if she has a history of reckless driving, I would be wary of giving her any motorized vehicle. Just hang out with her, but do something not moped related.

i understand your situation. I have a very accident prone friend, last weekend he rolled a stop and cut off a cop, that everyone else in the car saw, but he magically did not. I wouldn't want him riding a moped. However..., I do not feel any biological attachment, so I would suggest my opinion but would never disallow him to ride one. If he was my accident prone little brother though, I wouldn't let him get near that moped. You probably can't boss around your mom like a little brother though, and if you do.. STOP!

tough one, all my girlfriends friends want to ride but there clueless and when i give them the rundown about braking/sand/mirrors/blahblahblah they just stare blankly at me. T he problem is i want everyone to have one so we can swarm, so i let them ride around to catch the bug even though it gives me fits of concern.

I gave my mom a really clean green 78 maxi sport. she barely ever rides it. 10 years from now i'll pull it out of her barn and be excited again I guess. :)

***Vanilla Thunder*** /

take it from me, one good crash will learn ya quick. i say let her ride, if she fails, she will know what not to do next time. but i would make her buy her own ped though. maybe you can just keep it on the road for her.

and someone here said something about a history of alcohol being a warning flag. if thats true than every single person that attended the portland rally is a "high risk". not sure why but alcohol and mopeds seem to be sybiotic.

Make her take a riding class. If she can pass the class you should be good to go.

holy crap dude, im in the same boat!

my mom rode my stock grande (biggest comphyest sturdiest steadiest moped ever!) and still managed to look like she was gonna dump it at any second.

i dunno dude, you might want to just tell her to get a scooter or something, from what i hear they are a good bit steadier than mopeds.

good luck though.

Cosmo nPuch Stillstolen /

Buy her a helmet and a safety course.

hey oldcodger can i hook up with ur daughter? lol jk but yea maxmojo id deff let my mom ride if i was u

m.o.m. milf on mopeds

19 huh? Is she single?

She can ride with the LA cougars.

http://www.ca-msp.org/

worth the dough.

Lil MotoGuzzi Vert /

Thanks Dustin. I could probably use to take that myself. I gotta find something equivalent in Illinois and tell her to go. If I know her, this will make her lose interest and she won't end up riding. I would like to let her ride it briefly and see how she likes it.

after the class, she/you will have an m1 license.

let her watch these and make sure she has a helmet..

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="

&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="

&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I don't know, but I've rode motorcycles for 31 years now, and I've almost gotten ran over more in the last couple months of owning my moped than all those years together. The problem is, even if I stay on side roads of 30mph, and my ped does 39mph, cars still fly past me. I think I'm going to have to go back to a motorcycle, things have changed since my first ped 30 years ago. To me it seems much safer being able to blow by cars ,then the other way around. If it was me I'd try to keep her off the ped if she's accident prone, I've been suggesting the same to friends along the years while I was riding bikes too, some folks just should be on bikes.

Here's a do-it-yourself safety program for scooters (applies also to MOPEDS) from the Motorcycle Safety Foundation - cost is zero - only a day or two of your time.

You can supervise her training yourself, and if she can complete the various exercises successfully, why not let her ride. She will have more knowledge about riding two-wheelers safely than the average rider.

Check it out at:

http://msf-usa.org/downloads/Scooter_tips-screen.pdf

Read this.

Lil MotoGuzzi Vert /

Read what mah man?