and the best new tomos is.......

General Jackson /

I don't know!

what do you think?

I'm opening a moped shop and trying to figure out which new tomos's to carry.

My current thoughts are:

Sprint

Revival ts

streetmate R

but seeing as how I have never ridden any of these I thought i'd ask the experts.

let me know what you think as far as

bang vs. buck

easy upgrade ability

reliability

carrying two people etc.

thanks!!!

Re: and the best new tomos is.......

carry the sprint,LX, streetmate and one other

revival isnt a big seller if you have a younger group of buyers around.

sprints base model so thats good

LX is the sporty model

Streetmate is the high end model

and you can always do special orders for people who want ST arrow revival streetmate R etc

General Jackson /

that sounds pretty good,

I wasn't sure if some were faster than others since the tomos sight lists them all at 30mph

and the best new tomos is.......

Not to be a prick, but don't blindly jump into a new business. You will get your ass handed to you. Do you have a mechanic for your new shop? Who will be doing all of the warranty work? Who will do the customs work? Who will be running everything that you aren't?

General Jackson /

not to be a prick but don't assume I don't know what I'm doing, or that I actually thought I could do all of this myself.

and apparently you suggest the sprint, so thanks for answering my question.

how much will your tomos be going for?

i got a brand new tomos sprint w/ decals and cafe bars for $40 in portland.

can you beat that price?

General Jackson /

yeah, i'm actually paying people $100 to take them from me.

and i'm running a special where if you take three of them I'll throw in a free reach around!!!

selling a ped you've never ridden????

Where did I suggest sprint? Are you assuming that b/c I own one? If so, you are incorrect.

General Jackson /

I will have ridden them by the time i'm actually opening a shop,

but i thought I would get some input before I dropped $8,000 on one of each to test them out.

General Jackson /

well I tried to get something positive out of your comment.

why, not happy with your sprint?

I have a 2008 arrow and it really turns peoples heads. Its a fun ride, no complaints from me. why not think about carrying an arrow or two?

General Jackson /

i'm not against it. I just haven't heard much about them other than hardcore moped scenesters saying they don't count :)

yea who gives a shit about what moped scenesters think. Its a sweet bike and its got pedals. I got my moped to get around, not be apart of some stupid fashion club.

General Jackson /

and you are the exact person that i am opening a moped shop for. nashville is exploding with a young proffessional population that lives in the metropolitan area and there isn't a single shop in tennessee that sells mopeds!!!

thanks for your help and not just giving me some attitude

thedrifter /

we all know sprint is the best ;) but to run a bizz you should go by what sells the best and that i dont know.

what models can you get? when can you get them? can you get pedals or just kickstart? what are the laws in TN regarding selling of new mopeds?

I hope it works out well. Keep in mind you may have to sell and repair scooters in order to keep things flowing properly, but do your best to push the mopeds because they are way better. I just ran into a guy who just bought an 08 Revival and he was only 23, I know they are kinda strange in their terrible chrome look, but I wouldn't count them out for the younger crowd.

General Jackson /

the sprint is definitely the cheapest to stock and sells for right around a grand.

while some of the others might be "better" they are significantly more expensive to stock.

currently the cheapest scooter available in nashville is $1850 and i'm filling the gap of people that can't rationalize $2000 on a bottom of the line sym fiddle.

The hipster moped phase has just about peaked. Prices for the old bikes they favor have gotten too high. Less than hip folks though are starting to buy new mopeds to offset high gas costs. Rumor has it that Tomos can't keep up with the demand right now.

General Jackson /

currently the sprint and the streetmate are the only ones in stock, and those are available in kick right now, but i'm not opening my shop for at least 8 months so we'll see what's available then.

unfortunately you do have to have a valid drivers license in TN but you don't have to have it registered which is nice, although you can if you want to.

sorry if I got you hopes up on them being available soon, but it's gonna be awhile, these things take a while to start if you are gonna do it correctly

General Jackson /

that's very true, they are currently out of stock of most everything. but maybe that means they'll start pumping out more!

laso have you seen the SYM wowow? that should be imported in about a year and will run about $2000!! talk about bang for your buck, it's the honda cub but without the honda sticker. also the most popular motorcycle in the world, I can't wait to get my hands on those!!!

I would call Tomos if I were you. I have been told they are out of everything and the September shipment is sold already. Rumors??? I hope!

General Jackson /

when i talked to them last they had the streetmate and the sprint, but that was 3 weeks ago, so who knows?

get as many sprints as you can. and order turn signal, rear view mirros, fairings, decals, drop bars, handlebar grips, pedals etc etc.

1000$ is very very tempting for those looking for a reliable cheap form of transportation. 1800-2000 is a little harder to justify. if i was going to spend 2k on a bike i would get a motorcycle not a moped.

Sell sprints and sell a fuck ton of cool accessories. you will make way more money off grips and handlebars than you will off the tomoses. hell you can even sell a customize my bike package. 200$ gets you your choice of decals, pedals, mirrors, turn signals and grips. people eat that shit up. especially the "non moped scene kids" we wanna do it ourselves. the 21 year old college student chick would much rather have you make her moped special for her.

General Jackson /

i know!

those are the people i'm marketing to.

no one that can fix their own is gonna by it from me, they'll wait till they find one on craigslist or at mom's garage sale cause they can't afford $1000 for anything!

I already have a performance tuner/ mechanic and a guy that can do all the custom paint jobs I want.

don't expect to find the magnum you've been dreaming over at my shop, just bring it buy for some color shifting paint!

definitely focus on sprint. im not saying dont order an streetmates but the money is in the accessories and upgrades. hell you should even try to get ahold of some romeo thunderhawk frames. people buy sprint mopeds and take all the parts and move them onto the romeo thunderhawk frame. pretty sick.

but the best thing you can do is call other moped shops on the other side of the country. 1977 mopeds SF, Seattle Mopeds, Choke in LA etc etc. ask their advice because they are gonna know what actually sells.

The shop close to me is open because they break there balls.

they carry every tomos part. can rebuild fix. and replace anything. and have a reasonible turn around time. they have several of each model and are on top of priceing daily. also the have some nights open late also saturday hours. Good luck I hope you all the best And hope mt thoughts help.

General Jackson /

damn those do look sweet.

I've been stopping by every moped shop on my trip to ask questions and get a feel for the market.

i met bj from handybikes and he showed me his AMAZING warehouse full of moped parts.

tomorrow i'm headed to akron, oh where the moped depot is.

those tomahawk frames would be nice, but there aren't many mopeds or frames on the market in TN.

k this is my look .....most people who buy mopeds dont give a shit about how much plastic there is.they are just getting them to get 100 miles to a gallon in gas. and most people who dont like mopeds as much as us like the motorcycle style because it resembles a motorcycle but has a cheaper insurance and everything. i have been in moped shops in pa and nj and most of what you see being sold is the

streetmate,

the lx

the sprint.

make sure that you have all of the replacement parts for them though. oh yeah and i love the revival ts and the streetmate....they are great 2 seaters they are just as strong with one person as with 2