Boost bottles?

http://www.boostbottleindustries.com/index.html

Anyone try these things? Do they work? How about the nitrous kits they sell?

Re: Boost bottles?

use the search function.

this has been beaten to death, brought back to life, and then beaten to death again.

Apologies - I shall remember the search from now on. I r teh bad boy.

should work fine for .3 seconds then u will stop quite quick (seizing) unless u have a 4 stroke then if u do it just right u will get a boost of speed for 5sec-3min if u have a 4 stroke and u don't do it just right u will seize

Boost bottles do not work, and nitrous will destroy your engine. Get a kit, pipe, and carb. Peace, Jerry.

seriously, the thought of going really fast for 1 second, then walking your bike home so you can rebuild the damn thing just sounds ridiculous to me. throw a kit on that bitch if you want speed. or do some porting. if you're going to destroy your engine might as well have some fun with it first.

Thanks for the responses guys :)

I had planned on putting on an 80cc kit, a new carb and an exhaust. The exhaust is a bit of a sticky point with me though - I understand that 2-stroke operation is different than 4-stroke and therefore might require a different setup for the pipe, but is there any way that a straight pipe with no baffles can work? I had one on my old PA50 for about a year with no issues (I fabricated the pipe myself), but if there is a danger of breaking stuff, I would like to know...

nope. 2 strokes require backpressure to work. a straight pipe will lean out your motor and be loud as FUCK especially on an 80cc bike. like there is no way that it would be able to go on the public street.

you need an expansion chamber exhaust. they use soundwaves to increase the RPM and increase the powerband in certain rpm ranges. u can cheap out and weld a dirtbike exhaust to your stock header but the best thing to do is buy a pipe. keep in mind the metra80 has an angled exhaust port so u will need to slightly modify the angle of the header unless you can buy a homoet 8p which was designed for that kit.

Zachary Evans, Destroyer of Worlds /

I saw a period in there, Zeke... Granted it wasn't for gramatical punctuation, but it means there's still hope for you!

I live in Vancouver, and I did a little homework on that whole noise thing (I like loud pipes) - there is no noise law per se pertaining to bikes here. The only thing on the books is that your bike must have a muffler, which is described in the book as a pipe or series of pipes used to cool exhaust gasses :D

So - aside from the noise thing - backpressure. You say that a straight pipe will lean out my mixture - so if I can find a way to keep the mix nice and rich, can it work?

Thanks for putting up with my noobness :)

They fill with fuel causing your engine to stall out.

I don't recommend them.

_backpressure. You say that a straight pipe will lean out my mixture – so if I can find a way to keep the mix nice and rich, can it work?_

You are missing the point here. Yes, you could probably get the mix close with a straight pipe, but that doesn't solve the back pressure issue. Why are you dead set on a straight pipe? To get optimal performance out of a two stroke engine you need an expansion chamber exhaust. Here is a animation that might help you grasp the concept of expansion chambers. It helped me.

Ok - I can see the need - but can it be done in a better looking way? I mean, if I fabricated a pipe that on the outside had a 2" diameter all the way down the side of the bike, but say 4-5" from the back I welded in a washer with a 1" center opening? That seems like it would work the same way to me...

It would create back pressure yes. However, it would not create the kind of reverse forced induction that a expansion chamber does. This might help...

_The expansion chamber is designed so that at certain RPMs the exhaust gasses resonate just right and help suck out the spent gasses and then reflect back and compress the charge back into the combustion chamber! This is what two stroke riders mean when they say the engine "comes onto the pipe" at the right RPM the engine becomes much more powerful as the expansion chamber starts to help the engine run much more efficiently. Obviously, this effect can greatly improve a two stroke engine's performance._

Taken from this website.

the shape plays an important role, because it actually reverberates at a certain frequency, and that (as i understand it) is what determines your powerband.

you know that big cone that cheerleaders yell though? your logic would be the same as looking at that and saying "big hole on one end, little hole on the other... " The cone shape is integral, not just the size of the openings.

Loud pipes are nothing but inconsiderate. It never fails that when I get my daughter down for a nap some idiot has to go by on his hog and scares the hell out of her and I'm left with a screaming baby. Theres nice rumbling then there is simply excessive. Besides even an 80cc still sounds like chainsaw with a straight exhaust. Expansion chambers are the only way to go even if they do look kinda funny. I wonder if one could gut a larger exhaust and slip the chamber pipe inside. I would have a nice look and keep your performance.

err, sorry about the soap box. Just....ahh never mind, the techno hunter is a nice looking pipe, check those out

Interesting - I think I might just have to experiment a little. The resonance explanation makes a lot of sense, though I wonder if there isn't a way to get the same result from something that looks a little different on the outside - as wiffleball suggested - by sort of slipping an outer sleeve over the expansion chamber. That would still make for a pretty large looking pipe though.

As for loud pipes - I am not talking about Jesse James one-foot cannons here. What I am after is a lower rumble - something that sounds a little more badass and a little less chain-saw. I had that sound from my PA50 - but according to the info here I would have had a broken bike soon if it hadn't been stolen.

If anyone is interested, I can post the results of my experiments here. What should I look for as bad signs, or warning signs for engine damage?

Do plug chops to see what your air/fuel mixture is like. I can guarantee that you will need to upjet several jet sizes.

« Go to Topic — end of thread