General Puch Information

Hello. I am a vintage scooterist who has just entered the moped world with my purchase of a 1978 Puch Moped. I'll be uploading pictures very soon. Its a very clean and straight moped, 1 owner, 800 miles on the engine. I was even given the original receipt from the shop he bought it from. I am wondering if someone could answer some questions that I have been having. Here we go...

1st - Identification. I know the year of the moped is 1978 from the stamp. I am assuming the model is Maxi, although there is nothing on the frame indicating that. From having looked at enough Maxis on this site, I am really not sure. It has the original stickering, the font of the Puch sticker on the tank looks like "ye olde puch". There is no model name sticker on the frame anywhere, nor does it look like it even once _had_ any indicating "newport" or "maxi" like some pictured mopeds on this site. If someone could more or less explain (be as overly detailed as you wish) the difference between all of the Puch moped models and the different configurations that were available, 1hp, 1.5hp, 2hp, 2 speed etc, that would help me and interest me greatly.

2nd - I need new tires. 2.25 - 17. Could anyone list for me the tire makes and models that will fit? Any that you recommend? I am not too partial to any brand, mostly curious to see a complete list of the options and what is available to order. Whitewalls might be cool...

3rd (and last) - Parts and accessories. I am accustomed to having to chase down parts and accessories from some pretty random places for my motor vehicles, so I'm prepared for few (or no) options for aftermarket parts and accessories for the Puch. Whats out there? Are we to the point where there is one guy in Texas or something hordes all the old Puchs and parts them out, or are there a few euro companies that make certain parts? I'd love to know.

Sorry for the long post, but I have lots of questions, moped nooby that I am. Looking forward to more correspondence...

Re: General Puch Information

1. will need a picture to verify this.

2. plenty of stores. Denniskirk.com or any moped shop website will have the. Whitewalls included.

3. Your puch is considered the EASIEST moped to find parts for. Stock or aftermarket. You can literally build a whole puch from just aftermarket parts because the selection is so broad.

Check out. TREATSHQ (ebay store):

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/items/Parts-Accessories___W0QQQ5fcatrefZ1QQ_catZ6000QQ_flnZ1QQ_ssnZtreatshq

Here is a link to all the moped shops:

Note: most if not all the information you will want to know can be foudn through the WIKI as well as the search function. Each individual category (general disc, b/s/t, repair, performance) has its on search function that only searches THAT specific section.

I heart 1977mopeds.com you can call them and they will hepl you more than just a pic on a web site. but I have a puch and it is super easy to work on and the tires I run are super cheezy but they are clled shen chin tires I run a 4 ply and they have lasted 2 years of heavy riding I got then from my local motorcycle shop and they are cheap

Be nice, Eric.

1. It sounds like a Newport, or Nostalgia. In my opinion, they're all maxis, and the differences don't really matter. What does matter, though, is whether you have the single speed, or the two speed engine. On the right side of the bike, the transmission cover will either be rectangular and say "PUCH" or it will be sort of circular and flattish. The square transmission is the 2-speed. The other is the one speed e50 engine, which is the simplest, most robust, bulletproof moped engine.

2. I ride Michelin M62 Gazelles. I REALLY like them. They are a bitch and a half to get on though. The sidewalls are so stiff, you can even ride them when the tubes are flat. They also last pretty well, and have a good tread for a variety of conditions. I'm pretty sure you can't get 17" whitewall tires.

3. Loads of puch parts floating around. Ebay, 1977 mopeds, Treats, Mopedshop, Mopedjunkyard, Quarterkick, they're everywhere.

Welcome to mopeds! They're like scooters, but you look less like you're sitting on a toilet.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account