1977 sachs, the shit or the poop?

General Jackson /

I just got this gem on ebay.

I don't know too much about the model cause it was from an flea market lady that didn't know what it was. it looks like it's fine but been sitting for a whlie, not much rust.

what do you guys think of these mopeds and their general worth and upgradeability.

I'm a puch guy as far as maintenance and experience, so just looking for insight into the quality here.

not actual moped, but identical model to the one I got

Re: 1977 sachs, the shit or the poop?

post a pic that works

sachs are generally good mopeds that are great stock not so great performance.

Did you try to put a picture in your post, if so it did not come through. I hope you got the air filter with it. Can you post a picture attachment of it.

General Jackson /

oops, sorry, here's the picture that came with the bidding

1215269737_82cb_12.jpg

Ok,

yeah, its a good bike, if you want to mod, stay with the PUCHS, but this thing will go forever and is SIMPLE to work on.

What you have is a SACHS Westlake. With a 5401A engine, I believe. I also noticed you have a restricted exhuast pipe. The unrestricted one will give you 5 more MPH. I have 2 sachs and I love em.

General Jackson /

sweet!!!! yes!!!!

other exclamations of happiness!!!!

yeah, you'll enjoy it. There are some performance parts but they are expensive and difficult. They are smooth running and the non-restricted exhaust is one of the nicest sounding stock pipes. Handybikes will be your hookup for everything. Your engine is a 505-1a most likely but it could be a 505-1b. I'm trying to find a way to turn the intake around so I can put a Dellorto on it.

neat columbia/western flier or whatever it was re-badged as. Those are supposed to be the lightest sachs engined bikes out there. 505 = back pedal brakes=FUN

General Jackson /

I stopped into handybikes when I was in columbus and met bj, he's a real nice guy and he gave me a tour of their warehouse. I'm pretty sure he has everything ever made there.

he's gonna give me a dealer cut when I get my moped store up and going next year.

for the most part i'm probably just gonna get this one going and shiny and sell it to a friend of mine who has been riding my puch murray.

actually which one do you think I should keep. the murray or the sachs?

If you want performance the Murray is tough to beat being a Puch with an extremely light and tough frame. I'll bet the Sachs rides nicer though and if I were going to leave them pretty much stock I'd go with that one. It's really only personal preference though, they are both great engines but the Sachs is on a better bike where as the puch has much better options for performance.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account