help me with my throttle

mike Elliott /

the entire throttle system on my 77 newport just fell apart yesterday. it's odd as hell. i know the screw on the bottom left is supposed to keep it tight, but it still slips around no matter how tight it is. i'll post a pic in a minute since no one probably knows what the hell i'm talking about.

Re: help me with my throttle

Pics usually help.

sounds like it might be stripped.

mike Elliott /

best i could do with my cell phone.

1215200014_0703081945a.jpg

mike Elliott /

basically what i'm asking is, did i lose a part or something?

i tried the screw that holds the other grip on, and it's still slipping around. but the 'bum' screw holds the left one in just fine.

mike Elliott /

jesus christ let's try one more time

http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/1498/0704081725ri3.jpg

I have the same problem on my Newport. I tried covering the bar in electrical tape to make it more snug, but that didn't work. I'm going to make a real thin plastic or rubber cup/sleeve and see if that'll help keep it tight.

mike Elliott /

how did it happen? since you've had it or suddenly? it's weird as hell it was fine when i went to the store but i got back on and it was slipping.

All of my Magura throttles have done that, Its like the metal has fatigued and stretched. What I have done is cut up an aluminum can into strps and wraped strips around the handlebar. The good news is that they are super cheap on ebay so you might just buy a new one.

mike Elliott /

alright i'm gonna try that. did you just wrap it around or did you put anything on it to make it stick?

On my Peugeot, it did that so I just drilled a hole through it and the handlebar, and put a screw in it. Not fancy, but it worked.

The pressure of the clamp should hold it. You could use tape to hold it in place while you put it together. I actually slid the controls on an wrapped the aluminum around the handle bar and slid it under the control then tightened it down. DeeZy's Idea will work too, That's how the controls are held in place on my CB350. The worst it can do then is get a tiny bit sloppy, but not really any noticeable amount.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account