Bit by the moped bug!!

Holly crap! I bought a Yamaha Chappy LB50 2 weeks ago and have moped fever. I cant believe how much I want to fix it up and/or get more mopeds. So far it has been a bitch of a time finding anything though. I live in Buffalo, NY and there isn't anything but crappy scooters for sale. The worst part of it is I'm dieing to get my hands on another chappy for parts or get another lighter bike I can bring into my apartment to work on and not have to worry about it. Another bad part though is my only resources are craig's list and ebay and things get too expensive on ebay or slip through my fingers on craig's list, plus the whole mopeds in my area being rare. Anybody else run into this problem? I guess I just had to rant.

Re: Bit by the moped bug!!

Buy a popular bike. Problem solved.

Puch or Tomos. You can still get a Tomos new, and you can build a Puch from eBay and new parts. Peace. Jerry.

you want a pinto or swinger ,it makes it easy to get in the apartment

Yeah, I know my Chappy isn't as popular but I love it! Anyway, Ive been looking for a bike that has more available parts but they keep slipping through my fingers. For example...almost had a 77 puch in really nice shape but the guy sold it before I could get there. Another was a Sachs for $75 not running but same story. It really boils down to supply and demand I think, the demand is high now and there is not much supply. Since I decided I was going to get a moped I have only seen 4-5 on ebay and craigs list in driving distance that were reasonably priced. I cant believe how some of these bikes are selling here. Many people think they should charge alot more for their bikes because of the gas prices. This one guy I was talking to about his Yamaha QT50 said it ran but needed alot of tlc and parts was asking $500 for it and I laughed in his face. You should have seen it, it was such a mess. He did actually end up selling it soon after I talked to him. Does the availability of most bikes go up when winter comes along?

I had a Chappy for awhile. It was slow as hell but the high low range and two speed tranny helped out a bit. Good luck with it.

The availability doesn't go up much in the winter, but the prices will come down a little.

there are no mopeds in this area. unless there a few in a barn somewhere. probly laying on their side, covered by straw. its like a time capsule from the 70's.

Yeah, I would love to just go into peoples barns and look. My friends brother used to do that to find classic cars. I think the best he found was a 68 Charger. If I thought I had a chance of finding one that way I might try but I don't have the balls to do it. Mainly the fear of being shot for trespassing. I think it may be a waiting game now watching ebay and craig's list and hope I'm fast enough to get one or the prices don't get too high. I did find a Tomos dealer in Erie, Pa (not real far from my parents house) that I may call to see availability and prices on a new moped then see if they finance because I definitely don't have money to lay down with the cost of living here. Basically paycheck to paycheck living with just enough to put into an old fixer upper moped.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account