Putting a ped on CL

Hi, I was considering selling my 78 Hobbit, but I really don't have any idea what the market is like or what its worth. Would it piss off the CL community if I put it up just to see what kind of offers I get and then not sell it?

Re: Putting a ped on CL

I've seen some people on CL post an ad like what you are suggesting. I know CL opposes ads that are worded in such a way as to make it a bidding type ad (ala ebay). I think your best bet is to get a feel from this forum as to the potential price.

Pics? What kind of condition is it in (both cosmetic & performance)?

Put what you want in the ad.. No one will have any idea if someone is interested or not.

Someone in my area now has a jawa for $1500 on CL.

If you want to sell it and don't know what its worth just put it up for a high price. If you don't sell it go down. Simple as that.

Dont sell it ! Im telling you you wont be able to find another one for what you have in that one not now anyway and you will get all depressed and shit like giving your pet to the spca

Nah, it's only a Hobbit. I mean, it looks really nice, and is probably reliable, but it is Japanese. If it were a Moby or a Peugeot, or even a Puch, I'd say you might regret selling it. People say that a Tomos moped has no soul, but it has been my experience that it's Asian vehicles that have no soul. A new TFR had tons of soul. Somehow, soul is just something Asians don't understand. They have been trying to copy Harley like forever, and still just don't get it. Italian scooters have lots of soul, Asian scooters have none. I have never been able to feel any kind of emotional attachment to an Asian vehicle. Peace, Jerry.

I haven't yet experienced the Italian soul that you mention (although I would definitely be interested in an Italian or other European moped(s) at some point), but I love the reliability of the Japanese scooter and two Japanese mopeds that I have, and that's soul to me!

"but I love the reliability of the Japanese scooter and two Japanese mopeds that I have, and that’s soul to me!" Thats boring to me. Mopeds from Italy, France, Spain, Chechlosavockia, Slovenia, Austria, etc. all have their quirks, and distinguishing personalities. Asian stuff, especially Japanese, lacks that. Most everything they make is overengineered, and that takes all the fun out of it. Anybody who has never had to push a moped, or drive themselves crazy trying to make something work, doesn't understand what mopeding is all about. Peace, Jerry.

Ahh... ignorance is bliss... and hobbits are Belgian.

Jerry Franek /

These thoughts resonate with me. My bikes take constant care it seems. And this reminds me of the MG Midgets I struggled to keep running. And then I got a Miata and just drove. Now a MINI which is fast and fun and painless. Still...there's something about being intimately familiar with your ride which makes it somehow more interesting. Must be an analogy somewhere with relationships with women too. Would take a poet/philosopher to write about this.

japs have soul not as much but i have 2 japs and each has its own quirks good and terrible (carb placement on the fa50) and the passport is just a general rat bike

Hobbits are cool bikes and definatlely not without little eccentricities and personality.

As much soul in a 1980 hobbit as there is in a new tomos sprint.

Just becuase a Peugeot is broken doesnt mean its got more soul then a Honda Hobbit.

Its all i the eye of who owns it.

And arent TFR'S Indian? Indian's are ASIANS man! I mean , they are from Asia...

Are we really saying that if something doesent bust all the time and you dont have to push it it doesent have soul?

Man and old early 70's cb750 , thats got soul

A early Datsun 240 Z, thats got soul

Even a Yamaha 650 special, thats got soul.

A yamaha VMAX,, thats got some soul and some other stuff.

And trust me , you own a hobbit long enought, you will come to believe its "soul" is located somewhere down by the carborator, deep in the frame, and thats why you have to keep taking it apart and looking for it.

Hobbit owners push too.

On the topic of soul and english motorcyles

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="

&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I don't know about asian bikes, but I've had asian cars with lots of soul. Particularly my Mazda RX-7. I challenge you to drive one of those and say its soulless.

There ya go. I was looking for a perfect example of a Japanese car with soul

Mazda Rx7 is the one. Rotary soul.

1984 Subaru Wagon, 4 wheel drive with a brush guard. That had soul.

Yamahondakawazuki - they all sound the same to me - real bikes were/are made in Europe!

MG Midget - what a car! I owned a 1970 Midget, a 72 MGB and a 72 MGB GT - all British Racing Green. A TR6 (auto). And a 3 cylinder 2-stroke Saab Sonnet.

These vehicles definitely had soul, evil as they may have been, the drinking, drugging, and stress they caused, but I wouldn't have traded the experiences for everything

The oil bowls on the carbs, syncing the carbs, timing, the metric plywood floor pan, messed up electrical, vacuum wipers (Saab only I believe), and all metric at a time when metric tools were scorned upon.

Oh to be young and still in love with a motorized vehicle.

My list of European motorcycles is even more of a romance/love/hate story. What I'd do to still own one of my old cars and old cherished bikes. I still have a mint 1972 125cc Penton Six-Days Trials Bike - it'll go to the most responsible of my grandkids.

The RX-7 had soul and usually a lot of speeding tickets in the glovebox! Great car. WICKED FAST!!! As was the 240Z as andrewhed said. The Pontiac Fiero and DeLorean were also anomalies that I believe had soul.

The Fiero??? That was a pile of crap from the get-go, made by GM from an assortment of parts left over from other vehicles, and most notably remembered for it's ability to catch fire. Very appropriately named. Putting it in with a 240Z and DeLorean (another mechanical nightmare, but a cool car) is sacrilege.

define soul..

Prove soul exists.

show me in real life that Japanese vehicles have less "soul" than others.

Andrewhed, thanks for the Richard Thompson video - he definitely has soul!

yeah old richard defines the myth that skinny british guys cant have soul. Cause he does.

The Fiero??? That was a pile of crap from the get-go, made by GM from an assortment of parts left over from other vehicles, and most notably remembered for it&#8217;s ability to catch fire.

this has already been beaten to death and filed right next to that tomos issue.

Doesent matter if if was a pile of crap or not, Simon thought it had soul, so for him it did. Thats the point

I liked driving them.

Hell my 73 plymouth valiant had soul, and it was pea green, rusted up to the doorhandles.

My saab 900's have all had soul. My 99's all had so much soul they could make you weep.

IMHO hobbits suck. start it on fire and rid the world of one more piece of junk. Who ever designed it must have been drunk: "Hey why don't we put the carb under the frame?" "Brilliant!"

just my .02

Eric

like i said, if a hobbit has a soul, im pretty sure its down there in the frame by the carb.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account