Am I too tiny to ride a moped?

This may sound like a silly question, but I am 4'11 and have the physical strength of the elderly. I have been debating, and flaking about getting a moped for several years already but harbor a secret fear that the mighty moped will bowl over my small frame. I have decided that I really do want to get one because they just seem too damn fun. I mean really, why pedal a bicycle when an engine could do all of the hard work for me? So am I too short to fit on one of these things or am I just creating further excuses for myself as to why I am still taking the bus?

Re: Am I too tiny to ride a moped?

mikey likes it /

do it

get one

you'll be fine

just get a ped. really. I highly doubt you're too small for any moped. I've let girls your size ride my ped many times, the problem was less their size but more their tendency to ride it into curbs.

that's not even close to too small. Actually, it'll work for your advantage because you'll be able to go faster on a crappier bike, and therefore save money on performance parts.

I'm a little bit taller than you at 5'3", but I'm pretty thin and I have the approximate muscular strength of a marshmallow. I get by okay.

Here's a quick summary of my small, weak person modifications to the moped lifestyle:

1) Most people with Puchs can start their mopeds by holding in the clutch cable and then "kick starting" it by "kicking" down one pedal with one foot. I have to "jump start" mine by using both feet to "kick" it the pedal down. That took a little practice.

2) Most people can load and unload their mopeds from their vehicles by themselves. I couldn't until I got a ramp. Now I have no problems, other than that people wonder why I carry a board around in my car.

3) Most people can lift their moped up a few stairs if they have to. I can't (well, I probably could if I was really desperate, but it wouldn't be pretty), so I either find a ramp, go another way, or don't go that way at all.

4) Sometimes I have problems getting nuts or bolts unscrewed because I can't put enough pressure on them to get them to loosen up. Having a good set of decently long wrenches helps this problem a lot, and having some extra pipe to stick over the ends of the wrenches when all else fails also helps. Also, PB Blaster is your friend. (I do think that us small people have an advantage when it comes to handling small carb parts and getting to parts in tight places.)

5) When help is offered, accept it. There is no sense in struggling to do something and possibly hurting yourself or your moped when there is someone right there offering to help you.

As for not being able to touch the ground, that will depend on the model you get. On my Puch, I'm about 1/2 inch off from being able to touch the ground with both feet at the same time. On my Tomos, I have no problems whatsoever. On one of the nopeds like a Yamaha QT50, a Honda Express, or a Suzuki FA50, you'd probably have even better luck. Hopefully you've got a moped hoarder near so that you can try out a few different mopeds, but if you don't just try out the ones you can find. Not that I'm particularly well qualified to make this next statement, but I think you'll have much better chance at controlling your ride on a nice nimble moped than you would on a big ol' plastic scooter.

yeah your perfect for mopeds.

I would say Work out. Buy a small set of light weight hand held dumbells or use milk jugs, starting with a little water and then add as you go along. use the gym at the Y or school or join curves or the local health club. or do some basic exercises at home. you will feel better, build confidence, and have more streignth to be able to handle the bike if risky situtation arrises. Control of the bike is key.The mirror is your best friend, know what is going on in front and in back of you. Ride a friends bike to see if it's for you. get help from somebody local for a few rideing lessons. practice handleing the bike. start fast, stop fast do figure eights, dont just get out into the city for your first ride. Good luck and have fun.

theres a chick in my crew who is not much taller weighs a buckofive and rips any bike you put her on.....fact

i gotta use both feet too linda :)

if u can't touch there is always some one wanting to trade a fa50 or qt50 for a bigger bike

Go here...

Go visit the guys at Choke in LA. They do a lot of work on mopeds there and they should have a few that you can sit on and see how they feel.

Arielle, I got the impression that you already ride bicycles for transportation. If so, it's likely that you already have the traffic timidity problem licked (which applies to men too, I should add), so converting to riding a moped should be no problem.

I have an Express, and a Puch 175 that usually starts eventually, usually. I would recommend the Express - which is not actually a moped - to anyone with the concerns you stated - it's light (98lbs), easy to start, and very reliable.

Also, what Linda said about wrenches and leverage is great advice, but if you've got the money to drop on a newer moped (don't say Tomos, don't say Tomos) it might be worth it to get in a good year of minimal maintenance.

Our very own Dominique is 4' 11" and has no problems. Mopeds were made for you.

And don't get that Indian that's in your profile. Those are slow and hard to get parts for....

Seats can be chopped and dropped, frames can often be lowered if they must. You'll get a feel for what suits you. I think it's easier to feel comfortable on a ped than a bike being short. ...and you'll get used to the loading an unloading of your moped - trust me.

be on the lookout for a JC Penny Pinto. they are extremely light, easy to work on and easy to live with. i have a stripped down racer that weighs a little over 80 lbs.

ive got a TINY little folding mped that might be your stye

"linkie":https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/discuss/2/188188/188188/

your the perfect size for one. target ped-jockey weight is like 90 lbs and your probably very aerodynamic. i'm about 6'2" 200lbs. people say i should get a big bike. poo them.

haha yeah 4"11 seems perfect height for a moped, im 6 foot 170 and i have to bend over to drive.

motobecane 7's are small peds i hear

I got a jcpenny pinto for my wife and she loves it. She is 5'2" about 120lbs and it fits her pretty good. shes on her tip toes to stand on it but the good thing is that the bike is much more reliable than my moby. Its idles very well when you come up to stops, starts on the first kick even for her. But i put her on a dirt bike about 2 years ago so she got used to riding a 2000 honda xr100. She says the moped is way easier to handle than the dirt bike. Also the pinto is alot easier to sork on than my moby.

GET A MOPED!! You'll Love it!

Lil MotoGuzzi Vert /

Get a moped and come ride with us! If you want you can ride one of our loaners to see how you like it.

"your probably very aerodynamic" [sic]

Awesome!

I wonder if new chapters starting up should look for thin people with vaguely hydrocephalic skulls.

Perhaps we can develop exercises that develop one's biceps into a sort of aerofoil spoiler shape (although it would probably be a trade-off between decreased air-resistance and increased traction).

Moped Army members, do your duty to Ped and country by mating with someone whose physical characteristics look like they'd give your children elongated shoulder blades that they can raise and lower like flaps.

General Jackson /

get a motobecane 7 or an fa 50. they are tiny and super girl friendly. I gave my girlfriend a '78 moby 7 and she feels way more comfy on that the she does on my murray, which is huge... and awesome

we need a mess of photos of people in super speed crouch. i live in savannah ga, theres a big park, it's like 1/2 a mile, i fly down it all tucked up, i look crazy.

I'm 4' 11" and riding the everloving God out of my ped...and I'm a girl. XD! I own a 05 Tomos LX...and M Magnum..and I fit just fine on both.

Kuro Neko Neko

Make sure to get a moped, not a QT50,FA50,Express,etc. A moped has or had pedals.Start out about 20 mph, then 25mph.When going over 25mph, that is when road conditions are to be watched with care and both hands are to be kept tightly on your handle bar grips.

You may want to avoid a Derbi, Honda PA50, or a Motobecane 50v. The Derbi sits way high and takes an abnormal amount of effort to start for being only 49cc, The Honda PA50 is also a bit of effort to turn over but nearly as bad as the Derbi. The Motobecane 50v is very heavy to lug around and sits a bit high. These are 3 awesome bikes but may not be the best for you. Many Italian bikes seem to be shorter and lighter they are absolutely wonderful. I am a fan of the nopeds as well. Yamahoppers are great little bikes, I think the kickstart engines are much easier to start. You'll have no trouble with a kick start. The only other thing is you may want to avoid top-tank models as the step-through will be easier to get on and off.

Timmy Southpark /

You'll be fine. i suggest you buy a brand new tomos sprint. They are like $900 but very dependable.

i learned that the hard way. the indian was an annoying paper weight. it's in heaven now.