Is it bad to ride with the exhaust off?

My PA50 goes like 10 MPH faster when I take the exhaust completely off. Is it bad to ride without one?

Re: Is it bad to ride with the exhaust off?

General Jackson /

yes. i siezed a piston that way. the extreme hot air next to the cold air where the exhaust was is too big of a temperature difference. and yes it was in the summer, so it was like 90 degrees outside and 300 degrees inside the ped. i know it's sweet, but it's not worth it.

just chop up your exhaust

Do some research on engine theory. Seriously start at page one, wait first put your exhaust back on, then start at page one.

back pressure is crucial.

Timmy Southpark /

yeah no... dont ever run your bike without an exhaust. it wont be fast for long

Does anybody know how much back pressure is optimal, and what the signs are for too much or too little?

Josh, West Virginia isnt too far from jersey, Before you destroy your PA50, Gimme your address so I can give you some cash for it.

I used to have a PA50, and I took the exhaust off it like you have, and yes, it was faster, but it was still just as fast after I modified the exhaust and put it back on. Just cut the header pipe right before it goes into the muffler, and get a muffler shop to weld on a steel pipe you can find at a hardware store. My ped ran like that for about a year before it got stolen.

Yo Josh how far from berkeley springs are you.

hmmm profile says .. INWOOD.. thats pretty close..

Not only the engine problems, but you will be pulled over any minute now for horrendous noise violations.

--Scott

I am a half hour from berkeley springs. Thank you all for your valuable input. I did not ride it long without the exhaust because of the horrendously loud noise and because I had a feeling it was not good for the bike. The damn thing went so fast I thought I was gonna throw pieces of piston and connecting rod out of the jug. I want to get another muffler so I can butcher it and make my own exhaust. My bike is just too nice to butcher. Anyone who wants to start a Moped army branch email me.

you need to clean out your muffler, through it on the grill and cook some steel sausage!

And on top of everything else, you will REALLY piss the neighbors off.

Actually, if you cut the pipe just before the muffler, so it still has a short piece of pipe on it, and rejet the carburetor to compensate for the lack of backpressure, you could run it like that. Properly jetted, it won't be any faster, but it will make a LOT of noise, if thats what you're after. Peace, Jerry.

Yo josh I sent you a email.

Nah I am after top speed. That is my only goal, and if it does it quietly, then all the better, as I would like to avoid any possible run-ins with the piggies. I want to go FAST.

expansion chamber retard

yea, I got that dipshit. I am not a retard, we are all retards for messing with mopeds, so take your attitude and shove it directly up your ass. Thanks.

the exhaust threads on my moby finally gave out the morning of the long ride at bomb prom this year so I was like fuck it lets ride till i seize this engine. blasted 35 miles without a hickup- the exhaust was almost completely out of the cylinder the whole ride. changed cylinders when i got home for sure- not a good idea in the long run but it can be done for a little while. loud as fuck though.

« Go to Topic — end of thread