Briggs Stratton Motobecane?

http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/mcy/738582331.html

I don't know if this is a goof or not, this guy is selling a Motobecane with a Briggs&Stratton engine attached. Thought about doing this a couple times myself, if anybody gets this thing and it works, post some pics and let us know how it runs.

Re: Briggs Stratton Motobecane?

so dumb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know, I've got about 5 Briggs&Stratton engines that all run kicking around,(decks usually rot before the engines die) parts for them are as near as my local junkyard or even a good local cleanup day, whereas Motobecane engines running or not are becoming more and more scarce...

Hey Mike, hows your Le Moped going? I was wondering where you've been and how you are doing after the operation. I hope all is well

i really dont understand that at all. it takes a lot of work to retrofit an entire engine like that, and get it to run and drive. he probably had to jump through all sorts of hoops to get that shit to fit, and its probably not even worth the effort. i really just wanna see it run, though haha.

i was thinking about picking it up for the useable parts but, i can't get up to lynn this week....

what an abomination! I would not think you could lean into a turn, would drag the engine...looks hideous! Brigs makes a good engine though. Buy a Cushman!

Thanks Mike, recovery was alot slower than I expected, doing better now. The LE has been running very well since you straightened me out on the condenser, coil ground, and adjusted it for me last year, I ride it an average of 3-4 times a week for 10-20 miles, starts right up and runs no hesitation. Bought some new Sava tires and a driveside chain from 77mopeds, gotta get around to putting them on. I see some of your 'peds up for sale from time to time, guys, daytripper is a standup guy who goes the extra mile to help, don't hesitate to buy from him, I'd buy from him in a heartbeat no hesitation whatsoever.

Really liked that Derbi lookalike motocross moped you posted pics of awhile back, sweet little thing. All the best to you and yours Mike, hope to see you soon on one of the rallys.

Geez that B/S engine weighs a ton and is physically large . Do a lawnboy 2-stroke engine. Lil over 120cc - runs forever , 6 hp ,CDI . Only bad is the carb location - opposite from the cylinder but a bent manifold to a 20mm carb would be easy .

1215364455_lawnboy_2_stroke.gif

That sounds good too - just like the hotrods people do engine swaps all the time, went to the Mustang show at Mustangs Unlimited in Tolland, CT a few years ago, guy had a stock plain-jane Pinto with the hood open right next to a 289 Shelby Cobra. Before I laughed I decided to check it out - he had stuffed a 289 c.i. 271 h.p. v-8 in it, looked like it came from the factory that way. Just cool to see the different ways people engineer another type of engine into their transportation

woof.

Matt Scout The Scouting Dcon /

Buy it and name it Igor.

that moby is whispering "kiiiiiiillllll meeeeeee"

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="

&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Talk about disgusting abuses. Do the world a favor and buy it and part it out. No moby deserves that..

It may not be as bad as it looks. No doubt a real PITA to get it on their.

Briggs and Stratten engines have some potential. I have built them for go karts and minibikes. Most are around 125cc to 175cc.

Mill the head, port, polish and relieve the block, tulip the valves, larger carb, and remove governor, sometime a cam is available, straight pipe using plumbing gas pipe.

With high compression, large carb and straight pipe no longer sounds like a lawnmower.

I learned to build from a nieghbor who was a mechanic when in middle school. My go kart could hit 40 to 50 mph on the sidewalk easy. Even though to was made to go 18mph or so tops.

Brakes were no modified and I almost ran over a pregnant women pushing a baby carraige. She assumed pedestrians had the right of way. It took a four wheel drift to miss her rather then brakes.

Numerous cop cars came, I escaped to a pals house. Told his parents "it quite running, can I keep it in your garage till Dad comes and gets it" Worked fine.

Told my son who I built minibikes and go karts for about it.

Then years later took him to the very house where the same pal happened to be visiting home.

The Chappy and FA50 were better then the minibike I built in recent years. Better suspension and minibike is only single speed.

I would be curious just how the BS moped ran. Somethings are easy such as mill the head with a file, Larger carb, remove the governor, or now adapt on a very large BS muffler.

Lucky to have not hurt anyone and been locked up.

Jack

worst idea ever.

I hate it when ppls strap non moped motors to mopeds... just ruins it for me.

LMAO, Tabbycat! I was wondering if this was a vertical or horizontal shaft engine they had used on the Moby, I've read various books stating a simple splasher on the crank to throw oil up onto the cylinders and a horizontal carb and tank are all that's needed to run a vertical crank engine horizontally, never tried it, had visions of making a couple gears that intersected one off the crank horizontally the other vertical sitting in an oil bath driving a chain sprocket to power a 'ped or a beefed up bicycle for kicks (or even an old lawn tractor rear end cut off on one side attached directly to the engine crank)

Non-moped engines on moped frames = fun...even on an ugly ol' moby. I'm a fan.

I wrote and asked the seller which version the Briggs and Stratton engine it has vertical or horizontal. From the pics it was difficult to tell. Someone resourceful enough to do the swap could very well possibly adopt the common vertical shaft engine. I likely have some vertical shaft engines laying around in storage.

Jack

I believe it is!

I emailed the seller. They are not sure if it is a horizontal or

verticle shaft Briggs and Stratton.

Jack

Wish I had a few extra bucks, wouldn't mind trying to get this to work

Glad to hear all is well. You've got a sweet ped now. DT

Yeah thanks to you Mike and everyone else here who gave suggestions, I really appreciate it!

I called that dude when he wanted 5o bucks for it. I just couldnt bring my self to go get it.

He bought the frame with no motor, he's a kid, no idea what he's doing and just kinda glued a motor on it.

parts

« Go to Topic — end of thread