How important is the spark plug gap?

I dont have a gap measuring tool. I just take my spark plug outa the box and screw it into the engine, that seems to work fine. What are the negatives of having an improperly gapped plug?

Re: How important is the spark plug gap?

Inefficient combustion, robs power if gap is incorrect.

whats better... longer gap or shorter gap?

What should the gap be on a Puch? I've never gapped a plug in my life and haven't had any issues... I use NGK B_HS in all my two stroke bikes.

i put a new plug in and i figured i would open the gap just a little,i went for a ride ,it ran great for about 5 miles then it died on me when i let off the gas. it would not start back up.

i pulled the plug over and over it was wet but sparking fine.i was on the side of the road ,it was steamy hot,i was going nuts because the puch allways fires up.

turns out the gap was too big ,i gave it a few lite taps and made gap smaller,

it fired right up !

i found out the gap is very important

Gap fo most mopeds should be .18 to .20. Coming out of the box most of the NGK's seem to be set at about .24, so if anything, make it a trifle smaller.

outta the box is fine for a Puch!

They sell these awesome little tools at auto parts stores that actually help measure gap.

every plug i install i give a few taps on the ground 1st, sometimes i make em really small on high comp motors.

I have run into many a ped b4 that would not start because the plug gap was too big. also if ur spark is staring to weaken a quick fix is to make the gap a bit smaller.

but general rule of thumb is that the stock distance is fine for ur bike.

"the power is in the points".......

« Go to Topic — end of thread